Southsider2k12
post Jan 23 2009, 12:36 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=20507

Splash park moving forward
MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Park Board approved a contract bid for sewer operations for the new Oasis Splash Park on Thursday, but tabled the awarding of additional contracts to a future meeting.

According to architect Gerry Fedorchak, recommendations for bids were asked to be suspended because the design of the park will be adjusted slightly to reduce costs.

Fedorchak said redesigning the building would save an estimated $343,000 from where the bids originally came in at.

The approved bid amount for water service to the Oasis Splash Park, in the amount of $51,450, was submitted by Woodruff & Sons Inc., of Michigan City.

Park Superintendent Jan Orlich said the planned location of the splash pad in the park would also have to be moved.

"We need to move the splash pad east by 40 feet due to sand build-up that would cause maintenance [problems]," Orlich said.

The board unanimously approved a motion for Fedorchak to remodel drawings for the park, and to submit plans to the board at a later date.

Also at the meeting on Thursday, board president Philip Latchford said contract negotiations between Michigan City Area Schools and the parks and recreation department are ongoing, and that some progress has been made. Latchford said he, Mayor Chuck Oberlie and school board President Jim Kintzele recently had a meeting to go through a contract.

The conflict has been centered on which MCAS facilities the park board can use for recreational activities, with the biggest problem being the use of Michigan City High School's Wolves Den.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 23 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Seems to me that as the Den is the showcase locale, it should be especially well-cared for. The Parks Dept. should be happy to use other gyms and quit grabbing the biggest piece of pie.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Upper Penn
post Jan 24 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 763

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 23 2009, 01:16 PM) *

Seems to me that as the Den is the showcase locale, it should be especially well-cared for. The Parks Dept. should be happy to use other gyms and quit grabbing the biggest piece of pie.

When money is becoming an issue it would seem foolish to build a splash pad that exceeds a half a million dollars, plus yearly operating and maintenance costs. Lets paint some playground equipment and grow some grass. If we don't maintain and care for what exist then why increase the costs for something new.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 25 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Upper Penn @ Jan 24 2009, 09:32 PM) *

When money is becoming an issue it would seem foolish to build a splash pad that exceeds a half a million dollars, plus yearly operating and maintenance costs. Lets paint some playground equipment and grow some grass. If we don't maintain and care for what exist then why increase the costs for something new.

I agree with you 100%. When you are talking about estimates of a shortfall somewhere between $1.8 and $3.6 million, a half of a million is a LOT of money to be spending on something that won't be paying for itself for a while. Table the project, and worry about the things that we HAVE to do. We can come back to this when things are in a little better shape fiscally.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 25 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Here, here!!!!

It's not the time to spread ourselves too thin. Just like the rest of us, we have to put some things aside, vacations, newer cars, a piece of much needed furniture. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jan 25 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 25 2009, 01:51 PM) *

I agree with you 100%. When you are talking about estimates of a shortfall somewhere between $1.8 and $3.6 million, a half of a million is a LOT of money to be spending on something that won't be paying for itself for a while. Table the project, and worry about the things that we HAVE to do. We can come back to this when things are in a little better shape fiscally.

I would also have to agree ... in my opinion this just goes to show where the focus truly is ... lakefront and north end development ONLY. As some of you know I began speaking this way in 07 in my council bid. I am not opposed to development but not at the exclusion of jobs and other issues, and most importantly not when there are concerns regarding budget shortfalls. We all as individuals must adjust our outflow when the inflow becomes "challenged". I have no comprehension of how government entities can think otherwise.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 9 2009, 08:09 AM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=32967.35

Splash pad will need operator

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Oasis Splash Pad under development in Washington Park is expected to be a popular attraction. But Jan Orlich, park superintendent, told the park board Thursday that operating it will involve much more than turning the water on and off.

Orlich gained first-hand experience operating a splash park in her previous job as park and recreation director for Wicker Memorial Park in Highland, Ind. She said an important consideration will be monitoring the splash pad for E. coli and other public health threats.

Orlich said she's working on a job description for a mechanical room operator who will be responsible for closely monitoring the splash pad and keeping it free from contamination.

"The mechanical room operator tests the water and watches it (splash pad), shutting it down and sanitizing when necessary," Orlich said. "There are going to be problems that can cause illness. We have to put the proper safety netting in place."

She said the mechanical room operator will be a seasonal worker paid an hourly rate. By networking with other splash pad operators, Orlich hopes to find an experienced operator who could train a part-time assistant.

"It (splash pad) will be open seven days a week for 72 hours," Orlich said. "It has to be guarded."

The park board is looking to have the operator monitor and enforce splash pad rules, such as making sure young children are wearing swim diapers and stopping kids from running and acting in ways that endanger them and others.

The park board approved a contract for $66,280 with Woodruff and Sons to remove the tennis court surface, lay sewer lines and add a reservoir tank. Orlich said the work will start soon.

Orlich said she has been working with city administrators on establishing a concession stand that will operate by the splash pad.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 9 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 25 2009, 01:51 PM) *

They said that the blowing sand made it very difficult to maintain the tennis courts. Good luck to them with sand in the drains.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 9 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 25 2009, 02:12 PM) *

I would also have to agree ... in my opinion this just goes to show where the focus truly is ... lakefront and north end development ONLY. As some of you know I began speaking this way in 07 in my council bid. I am not opposed to development but not at the exclusion of jobs and other issues, and most importantly not when there are concerns regarding budget shortfalls. We all as individuals must adjust our outflow when the inflow becomes "challenged". I have no comprehension of how government entities can think otherwise.

In their world anything between rt 12 and rt 20 does matter until election time.

+Quote Post
Homey
post Feb 9 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

And this splash pad will require how many new employees? While at the same time, the Mayor is looking to reduce annual costs and possibly employees down the road?

How many days the splash pad will be closed due to e-coli is yet to be known...losing revenue.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 9 2009, 07:15 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Homey @ Feb 9 2009, 06:38 PM) *

And this splash pad will require how many new employees? While at the same time, the Mayor is looking to reduce annual costs and possibly employees down the road?

How many days the splash pad will be closed due to e-coli is yet to be known...losing revenue.

Its hard for me to stomach a half of a million dollar outlay to build the place right now in my eyes. I haven't even started to try to rationalize more City employees right now.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 7 2009, 10:41 PM
Post #12

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40063.82

Splash pad construction nearly done

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City Park Superintendent Jan Orlich ran down a To Do list of items needing to be done before the Oasis Splash Pad debuts in Washington Park, she told the Park Board on Thursday.

An important step will come next Tuesday, when Orlich will meet on-site with representatives of Water Odyssey, a Texas company that specializes in splash pads and other water parks. They will run through the operating system instructions and Orlich will, in turn, train staff members.

At this point, Orlich said all the concrete has been poured, water features are being installed and bids have been received for fencing around the splash pad. Once the final inspections are completed, she will decide on an opening date.

Orlich came to the superintendent position with previous experience managing a splash pad. Park board member Bryant Dabney thanked Orlich for her careful oversight of the splash pad construction.

"We are very lucky to have you here to catch all these things," Dabney said. "We owe you a lot of gratitude for what you are doing with the splash pad."

Orlich told the board members the signs for the Oasis Splash Pad are in the process of being made, and signs warning the public not to feed wildlife have arrived.

The board voted to renew an agreement with the American Lung Association to print discount golf coupons in its annual fundraising coupon book. Golf director Jason Richardson said, in addition to contributing to a good cause, a total of 1,400 discounted rounds of golf were played last year and brought in more than $26,750 in revenue.

In another vote, the board approved a lease agreement to host the upcoming Smooth Jazz at South Shore concert in the Washington Park amphitheater. The board also approved reserving a 2010 date for the Saturday during the annual in-water boat show. Event organizer Bernie Scott told board members the concert is developing into a high-profile event that last year was recognized as one of the top three smooth jazz venues in the United States. He expects attendance of between 2,500 and 3,000 this year.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 23 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #13

I know this was mentioned in another spot, but it is worth mentioning here...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=39877.75

News was not so good when talk turned to the splash pad. Jan Orlich, park superintendent, said it cannot be opened this season if a 12-foot crack in the concrete on the north side of the splash pad must be completely re-done. She said she will take her cue from Jerry Fedorchak, the project architect.

She had hoped to open it in a week and a half, "but not if we have to jackhammer the concrete," she said.

If it does open this season, her plan is to have it open in the afternoons, Thursday through Sunday as long as the weather holds.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 22 2009, 10:18 AM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=44215.25

Splash pad debut pushed back to May 2010

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The opening of Washington Park's new water park - anticipated all summer - now looks to occur next year.

"We'll open, weather permitting, in May," Park Superintendent Jan Orlich said of the Oasis Splash Pad. "It's running fine. All systems are go."

Winterization is expected to be completed this week, and Orlich is praying for a mild winter to minimize cracks and leaks in the concrete pad that could delay next year's opening.

Developing a splash pad is a complex project, she said, and the one here exists in what she considers a complex location. The site, formerly used for tennis courts, is at the bottom of a bowl created by a large sand dune on one side and a hill on the other. Blowing sand is a possible threat to splash pad equipment, Orlich said.

Water Odyssey, a Texas company, supplied the splash pad equipment and computerized operating system. A number of bugs had to be worked out, and Orlich has continued to say it's better to work them out first, rather than open and have to deal with them after the fact.

Meanwhile, she said, too much of her time has been consumed by the splash pad.

"I put things I wanted to delve into on the back burner," Orlich said. "I'm playing catch-up now."

Orlich hired Connie Moreno this summer to oversee the Oasis Splash Pad operation, which will include a concession stand. Because of project delays, Moreno ended up working at the new Sand Bar concession stand near the beach.

Moreno seems eager to discuss the water park's features. Pointing to a water feature called the Tidal Barrel, with a tall post and barrel on top, she predicted it will be the big hit with kids because "every three minutes, there's an explosion of water."

Like Orlich, Moreno looks forward to the Oasis Splash Pad's opening.

"I think it's going to be pretty exciting," she said.

q

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 22 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 10

Looks like this is becoming a cash cow.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Oct 22 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

"Blowing sand is a possible threat to splash pad equipment, Orlich said..."

Then why would you put this cash elephant (Sorry Ang - It's going to be bigger than a cow, LOL) next to a sand dune ?

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Oct 22 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

So sand blowing into splash pad equipment could cause problems for said equipment, and this pad exists at the base of a sand dune. Well, that sounds reasonable.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Oct 22 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

And the title of this thread is splash pad moving forward.....forward into 2010.!! Sounds like cost efficiency at it's best. Wonder if they figured in lost revenue for 2009?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Oct 22 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Oct 22 2009, 03:13 PM) *

So sand blowing into splash pad equipment could cause problems for said equipment, and this pad exists at the base of a sand dune. Well, that sounds reasonable.

Right, they couldn't maintain a tennis court in that location, but now they are going to maintain a splash pad with pumps, drains, etc...
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 23 2009, 01:09 AM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

"Winterization is expected to be completed this week, and Orlich is praying for a mild winter to minimize cracks and leaks in the concrete pad that could delay next year's opening."

And if it's not a mild winter? And if it is is the ongoing success of this thing going to depend on what kind of winter MC has?

I, too, am baffled by thiis statement -

"Blowing sand is a possible threat to splash pad equipment, Orlich said."

So they put it where there's blowing sand. Good one.

THis one brought a chuckle -

"Meanwhile, she said, too much of her time has been consumed by the splash pad."

Gee - maybe if you did your job RIGHT.

I see no happy end here.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:23 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com