Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=32931.22

Phony bills turn up at store, bank

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

Several counterfeit $100 bills were passed or attempted to be passed at two Michigan City retailers Monday.

A store manager at Menard's, 5260 Franklin St., told police at 4 p.m. she was called by the head cashier to examine a $100 bill received from a female customer. The bill didn't look right, and the store manager told the customer she had to go to the office to drop the bill in the safe.

On closer examination, the manager found a bar code on the bill indicating it was actually a $5 bill. By the time the manager returned to the cashier, the customer had left the store.

A bank manager at Fifth/Third Bank, 3710 Franklin St., reported to police that at 8:30 a.m. he took in the night deposits and found a counterfeit $100 in the deposit from Big Lots. The bill had the same serial number as the one passed at Menard's.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 14 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

This is making me look closer at my bills. Bar codes? Does that mean it could be tied to you if you, f'rinstance, use a grocery card and use a bar coded bill?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 14 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Hold a bill up to the light with the face toward you. About one third on the right end you will see a magnetic strip inside the bill. They originally put those in to set off metal detectors at airports and such to prevent people from taking large quantities of cash out of the country. They also come in handy to fight counterfieting. Furthermore, you will see a watermark in the bill of a larger version of the face of whatever president is on the bill.
I think they're referring to the magnetic strip when they speak of "bar codes". I believe the bills can be scanned and the magnetic strip is encoded with the money information--like a bar code

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 15 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I thought he meant he could see some code.

The mag strip would allow Big Brother to track us.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:05 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com