Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Library Relocation - ND poll
mcstumper
post Apr 23 2007, 12:41 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

My wife told me that a few days ago there was a poll in the ND showing something like 70% of respondents were against the idea of relocating the library. Is that correct?

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 23 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I saw that... The interesting thing was there was something like 300 votes that were cast in that particular poll, where as today's poll had a grand total of 14 after I voted. I think something a little funny was going on there.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 24 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #3

Yeah, I went back and looked again at yesterday's poll and even after being up almost an entire day (the new edition is usually posted at about noon) and there are still only 44 total votes cast in it.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 24 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 24 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Yeah, I went back and looked again at yesterday's poll and even after being up almost an entire day (the new edition is usually posted at about noon) and there are still only 44 total votes cast in it.

How long are the polls usually posted? I didn't see this one until pretty late in the day, but noticed that it was gone early the next morning when I went back to look for the results.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 24 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 24 2007, 11:12 AM) *

How long are the polls usually posted? I didn't see this one until pretty late in the day, but noticed that it was gone early the next morning when I went back to look for the results.

I've never paid super close attention before (never had a reason to until now) but it seems that they rotate with the daily updating of the stories in the on-line edition.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 24 2007, 05:13 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

Yeah, everytime they update the online version of the paper, they show the results from the poll the day before and add a new poll for the current day.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 25 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

How do you spell malarkey? N-D!
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 25 2007, 02:55 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 25 2007, 03:52 PM) *

How do you spell malarkey? N-D!

laugh.gif Check out today's poll...
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 25 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 25 2007, 02:55 PM) *

laugh.gif Check out today's poll...

I voted!! I see the incumbent isn't doing so well. Hmmmmmm.
Well, I voted for Joie, but it looks like LaRocco is more popular right now

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 25 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 221

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Apr 23 2007, 01:41 PM) *

My wife told me that a few days ago there was a poll in the ND showing something like 70% of respondents were against the idea of relocating the library. Is that correct?

Winski's plan for the north end does not tell the entire picture. Take time to view an aerial. City Hall is not even in the way! Additionally, does everyone know that the alignment of Frankin Street places it through the east sde of news dispatch building? I didn't know that the ND was agreeable to moving. No where does Winski mention these 2 flaws in her plan. What about her plan to move City Hall into the Old Warren building? It's gutted!! Add $16 million for the Warren building remodel, another $35 million to relocate the library and then, add $7 million to move the ND and then, on top of that, add all utility costs. Where in the heck is Winski going to get $100 million dollars? Oh yea -- she's going to incumber the river boat money for the next 10 years!! I love ole MC, but I can think of a 1000 reasons to use $100 million dollars in our fiar City!!!!
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 25 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #11

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 25 2007, 05:33 PM) *

I voted!! I see the incumbent isn't doing so well. Hmmmmmm.
Well, I voted for Joie, but it looks like LaRocco is more popular right now

Ang: It is unfortunate that Joie does not have a platform other than wasting money on an expensive, useles plan. Let's not forget that our next Mayor, whoever it will be, MUST be able to address our present problems - before pursuing a pipedream ---
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 25 2007, 09:26 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 25 2007, 09:48 PM) *

Winski's plan for the north end does not tell the entire picture. Take time to view an aerial. City Hall is not even in the way! Additionally, does everyone know that the alignment of Frankin Street places it through the east sde of news dispatch building? I didn't know that the ND was agreeable to moving. No where does Winski mention these 2 flaws in her plan. What about her plan to move City Hall into the Old Warren building? It's gutted!! Add $16 million for the Warren building remodel, another $35 million to relocate the library and then, add $7 million to move the ND and then, on top of that, add all utility costs. Where in the heck is Winski going to get $100 million dollars? Oh yea -- she's going to incumber the river boat money for the next 10 years!! I love ole MC, but I can think of a 1000 reasons to use $100 million dollars in our fiar City!!!!

My family is in the development business in Chicago, what Mrs. Winski is showing you is a concept. A very good one too. You are right looking at the Arial view shows City Hall is not in the way. Although from a developers point of view, with Franklin open to the Lake, City Hall becomes one of the most valuable pieces of property in Michigan City. It would be silly to keep it off the tax rolls. I think using O'Brian's Warren Building was her way of saying City Hall can be moved to an existing building. City Hall as it is now is to big. The Warren Building would be way to big. One floor of that building would be sufficient, yet selling the land where City Hall is now to a developer would offset the cost of fixing up a smaller unused building in town. As for The News Dispatch, the same would be true. Since they no longer have presses there, the building is to big for them. Yet if they want to stay where they are, the plan can still work. But I am willing to bet the market value of the papers property would, I believe motivate them to sell privately to a developer. Your 35 million to relocate the library is not based on any thing and is way off. I have looked over the concept plan and have listened to developers. The plan complete would be under $35 million. This would almost match to the penny, the amount of riverboat money put in our sewers in the last six years.
Michigan City has shown no economic development because of sewers, this plan how ever will bring in revnue through taxes to do more sewers.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 25 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #13

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 25 2007, 10:26 PM) *

My family is in the development business in Chicago, what Mrs. Winski is showing you is a concept. A very good one too. You are right looking at the Arial view shows City Hall is not in the way. Although from a developers point of view, with Franklin open to the Lake, City Hall becomes one of the most valuable pieces of property in Michigan City. It would be silly to keep it off the tax rolls. I think using O'Brian's Warren Building was her way of saying City Hall can be moved to an existing building. City Hall as it is now is to big. The Warren Building would be way to big. One floor of that building would be sufficient, yet selling the land where City Hall is now to a developer would offset the cost of fixing up a smaller unused building in town. As for The News Dispatch, the same would be true. Since they no longer have presses there, the building is to big for them. Yet if they want to stay where they are, the plan can still work. But I am willing to bet the market value of the papers property would, I believe motivate them to sell privately to a developer. Your 35 million to relocate the library is not based on any thing and is way off. I have looked over the concept plan and have listened to developers. The plan complete would be under $35 million. This would almost match to the penny, the amount of riverboat money put in our sewers in the last six years.
Michigan City has shown no economic development because of sewers, this plan how ever will bring in revnue through taxes to do more sewers.

Lovethiscity - If this plan is "conceptual" then how do you know it can be completed for under $35 million? I take it that you must have experience as an engineer, contractor or estimator? Have you seen a complete set of plans and specifications? As I stated earlier, and I would be willing to place a wager that this project is way under estimated, and for your information, a percentage of riverboat money is already earmarked for infrastructure. Sewers are not an issue as 99 percent of the City's sewer system is already separated. This city has more pressing issues to finance --- and problems to solve!!

We need a STRONG leader - not a STRONG spender!!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 06:44 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 25 2007, 09:48 PM) *

I am confused by where you are getting your numbers from?
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 26 2007, 06:49 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 25 2007, 11:07 PM) *

Lovethiscity - If this plan is "conceptual" then how do you know it can be completed for under $35 million? I take it that you must have experience as an engineer, contractor or estimator? Have you seen a complete set of plans and specifications? As I stated earlier, and I would be willing to place a wager that this project is way under estimated, and for your information, a percentage of riverboat money is already earmarked for infrastructure. Sewers are not an issue as 99 percent of the City's sewer system is already separated. This city has more pressing issues to finance --- and problems to solve!!

To answer your question about my qualifications, yes I have experience in projects of this type. In evaluating any project of this type, we have to look at location, costs, marketing ability and potential profit. This has it all.

"and for your information, a percentage of riverboat money is already earmarked for infrastructure." By State Statue riverboat dollars must be used for two things, 1. economic development and 2. Property tax relief. While under state law infrastructure improvements does qualify as economic development, here in Michigan City it is not paying off very well. As for property tax relief, well over 700% increase in property taxes since the boats arrival, that is not working very well either.

Somebody needs to start expanding our tax base, taking buildings down all over town is shrinking it. Shrinking it makes the burden bigger for the rest of us. Doing nothing will leave Michigan stagnant, with high taxes. Check out how many homes are for sale along the lake front, people that are being taxed out of their vacation homes. Beach Walk folks have annual tax bills higher then the average home value in Michigan City.

In my opinion Michigan City must do something to jump start the developers. If not why would any developer want to invest in a town, that is not willing to invest in itself? Even Bicek does not apear to want to take the risk anymore.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 25 2007, 11:07 PM) *

I will fully agree with the last line of your post. The problem is this town hasn't had a strong leader, in my opinion at least, in quite sometime. You can really tell this because of all of the fracturing of the local departments and agencies in this town. It continually surprises me the fights that erupt between even governmental agencies in Michigan City. Strong leadership would bring these groups into a situation of working together, instead of competing. Strong leadership would also provide clear ambititious plans for the future.

Maybe there are holes in the Winski plan, and maybe there aren't, but I haven't seen either of the other two candidates show us anything that would indicate that they are showing leadership by submitting their own big picture north end plans before the election day. Jim Larocco has issued some statements indicating he has some plans and ideas for individual pieces of the puzzle, and I still have yet to see anything big picture from the Oberile administration, dispite the advantage of having years in office. Winski's plan is big, and I have to admit, I like that kind of forward thinking.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 26 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #17

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 26 2007, 07:44 AM) *

I am confused by where you are getting your numbers from?

My point is that MC needs much more effort in many other areas, before we spend millions on a building reclamation plan.

If you know of an experienced contractor, show him the concept - explain everything that will need to be completed - I believe it will clear your confusion ---
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 07:06 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 26 2007, 08:00 AM) *

My point is that MC needs much more effort in many other areas, before we spend millions on a building reclamation plan.

If you know of an experienced contractor, show him the concept - explain everything that will need to be completed - I believe it will clear your confusion ---

Having seen the presentation, I can also say that this plan isn't just going to be funded by our tax money. There is also going to be a private side to the funding that would go into this plan. That has been already accounted for in her plan. The combination of public and private funds was a big selling point of the plan, because it would limit our portion.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 26 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 25 2007, 08:54 PM) *

Ang: It is unfortunate that Joie does not have a platform other than wasting money on an expensive, useles plan. Let's not forget that our next Mayor, whoever it will be, MUST be able to address our present problems - before pursuing a pipedream ---

I did not tell you who I voted for so that you could insult my choice. If you have an opinion of a candidate, that is fine. But in the future, please do not direct your insults about a candidate toward me. Kay?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 26 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 26 2007, 08:00 AM) *

MC Voter,

As the daughter of Joie Winski, I'd like to personally invite you, and the rest of the participants of this board, to meet with Joie and ask her your questions directly. If you still believe that the plan is flawed, at least you will have educated yourself. In fact, she's hosting an open house at her HQ (801 Washington St) this Saturday morning from 9-11am.

Joie has a very strong knowledge of taxes and potential funding sources for the project, as well as what they can or cannot be spent on. This project shows true "out of the box" thinking on her part.

Remember, it's a plan...not just another study.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:47 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com