Southsider2k12
post Mar 31 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...01595105068.txt

Wolves looking younger

City’s Brenden Lomow connects on of his three hits in the 6th inning against Valparaiso last season. Robb Quinn/For The News-Dispatch
Baseball 2010, Michigan City
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:17 AM CDT
After having a senior-laden lineup a year ago, where on any given day there might have been six in the lineup at one time, Michigan City baseball has a very different 2010 outlook.

It’s probable that on many days City will have just one senior on the field as third-year coach David Ortiz welcomes quite the youth movement to Wolves Park this season.

“This is a completely different deal from last year,” Ortiz said. “We have five seniors on the team, maybe two starters and really one everyday starter.”

The one senior regular is a good one in shortstop/pitcher Jordan Nieman, who’s moving into the field from behind the plate where he spent the last couple seasons.

But after that, there are plenty of underclassmen and plenty of new names.

The first new name will come with Nieman’s replacement behind the plate. Ortiz said right now there’s a battle between Chad Galloway and sophomore Lane Van Sickle. Ortiz said that while he expects Galloway to be a contributor, right now Van Sickle has the inside track on the job.

Returning on the right side of the infield is junior powerhouse Brenden Lomow at first pace and scrappy junior second baseman Vincent Yadavia, who teams with Nieman to force a nice double play combination.

At third base, get ready for another new face. A position battle is being waged between Larry Sheets and a freshman, Andrew Ray. Ortiz right now gives a slight edge to the young Ray, but expects Sheets to be in the mix somewhere.

“We’re gonna see some good things (out of Ray),” Ortiz said. “You can tell he’s been to camps and clinics and he’s a hell of a hitter for a freshman with some pop.”

Moving into the outfield, junior Dustin Rivich moves from center to left and junior Rodney Washington moves from right to center, leaving another position battle in right, with junior Robert Coursel expected to see a lot of time in City’s sun field.

“We’re very young,” Ortiz said. “But I feel comfortable to say this is the most talented team I’ve had here, but we’re inexperienced.

“I think we’re gonna surprise some people who’ll overlook us because of our inexperience.”

On the mound, Ortiz expects to have four starters with a slew of other relievers. Josh Tyra, David Sheets, Nieman and Lomow should see a bulk of the innings, with Galloway and Coursel among a group that should see relief innings.

“(Tyra) has the velocity he had last year, but last year his second and third pitch he didn’t have confidence in, so he was just living off his fastball which was hurting him,” Ortiz said. “He’s working on those pitches with control and has the mentality of being a starting pitcher.”

Thought it’s a young team, Ortiz thinks his Wolves are capable of playing right with almost anyone in the Duneland Conference.

“First, we want to win 20 games, and with our non-conference I think we can do it,” Ortiz said. “I feel confident with the middle to bottom half of our conference. Realistically, I’d love to be in the top three in our conference.”

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:50 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com