Southsider2k12
post Sep 24 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48601.36

Strike Up The Band
Quincy Ford takes over as band director after summertime resignation of former leader

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Despite the fears of parents and students before the school year began, Michigan City High School's marching band is alive and well.

Band members marched in several competitions over the summer, and at halftime during home football games. The also will march in Chicago for the annual Columbus Day parade.

Quincy Ford, who has been teaching music for Michigan City Area Schools, stepped in to fill the vacancy when the previous band director, Johan Sletto, resigned in the summer.

That late resignation left MCAS administrators, as well as students and teachers, wondering where they would find a band director.

"I applied," Ford said. "I wanted the job."

He has it.

At Elston Middle School, where Ford had served as band director, Nate Cook will fill in as a long-term substitute, along with lending a hand hand with the marching band.

Cook has put in three years in the music education program at Ball State University.

A 2001 graduate of MCHS and one of Ford's former students, Cook left the study of music education because "I didn't know if I would like it."

"I guess I will know after this year," he said.

He's enjoying his work so far.

Band parents, including Band Boosters President Sue Lehman said last summer they and the students were grateful for Cook's assistance with marching band.

Marching band students learn music, but Ford and Cook say they also get a sense of camaraderie. They practice in sections and then as a whole to see how everyone makes a difference to the whole.

Marching gives them exercise, improves coordination, "and they put on their uniforms and they feel pride," Cook said.

"Band is fun," sophomore flutist Gabby Chappell said.

Chappell said she enjoys the competition and enjoys being with her friends in a common pursuit.

The Color Guard contributes to the overall quality of the shows, freshman Kirstie Landtroop said.

"We have a lot of fun at practice and we have fun on the bus traveling to competitions.

"And even though I'm just a freshman, I already have made some really good friends through band," she said.

A graduate of Gary Roosevelt High School, Ford said he came to music because music was important to his family. His mother played piano at her church. His brother and sister are musicians as well.

His wife Diana plays string base in the South Bend Symphony and the La Porte Symphony.

Their two daughters also are learning to play instruments.

A saxophonist, Ford plays for his church in Gary. In addition, he plays with the Tom Milo Big Band, the Michigan City Municipal Band and the La Porte City Band.

Cook plays with the municipal band as well.

With extra rehearsals and practices, music directors spend a lot of time with students, Ford said.

"But that's part of the work," he said. "I knew that when I signed up."

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 28 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

He is a very good guy that we are lucky to have had step up.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:13 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com