Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=54565.88

Riverfront District May Allow For Liquor Licenses

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY -While the city might be granted up to 10 new liquor licenses if a plan to create a riverfront entertainment district comes through, it's not likely all would be used.

"We could hold a number of them back, essentially in a bank," Michigan City Redevelopment Commission Attorney Michael Bergerson said. "I wouldn't recommend we issue all of our allotment because that would give us no real flexibility in dealing with this development."

The redevelopment commission Monday presented a resolution to create the district, which would allow it to apply to the state alcohol commission for extra liquor licenses. Officials think the additional licenses would spur redevelopment along Trail Creek.

Bergerson said Tuesday the city wants to use the licenses to attract "family-type" restaurants to the area. He said the city's not looking to bring in "adult-type" establishments.

"To me, restaurants and taverns are pretty much similar," he said.

The resolution would include three stipulations that Bergerson said he feels will allow the city to control development. All new license holders would be required to keep their businesses open 330 days a year to avoid seasonal restaurants.

It also states a license can't be used as collateral or as part of a settlement of any kind and can't be transferred. The resolution also states that holders must contribute monthly to a riverfront marketing fund.

"I'm in favor of this," board member Ed Bigda said. "Hopefully this will promote efforts to redevelop the North End."

The redevelopment commission will vote on the resolution at its meeting on Monday, March 17, and will then pass it onto the Michigan City Common Council for its approval.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 11 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

well, if they're going to add that many licenses for the north end, they probably should leave the police station where it is so they can all sit in lawn chairs and catch drunk drivers.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Mar 11 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

Good! I like my beer and wine.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 11 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

How did you get 20 new licenses out of that article? I'm only seeing 10 mentioned.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Mar 11 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Teach @ Mar 11 2008, 07:53 PM) *

How did you get 20 new licenses out of that article? I'm only seeing 10 mentioned.

Obviously you have not had enough to drink. Drink till you see double man, come on now.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 12 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Teach @ Mar 11 2008, 07:53 PM) *

Bad typing, that's how!

Thanks, I will edit the title.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 12 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Mar 11 2008, 07:59 PM) *

Obviously you have not had enough to drink. Drink till you see double man, come on now.

I wondered why I saw 40 when I looked at that yesterday!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Mar 12 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 39

Question to the group: Do you think someone would open a new restaurant or establishment without one?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 12 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Mar 12 2008, 09:11 AM) *

Question to the group: Do you think someone would open a new restaurant or establishment without one?

I wouldn't, I know that much. That is where you make a real profit in the restaurant business according to what I have been told. I have no problem with more establishments, but can we really fit 10 in that little area? If we can, cool.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 12 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #10

I would want to be able to at least serve beer & wine.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 12 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Mar 12 2008, 09:11 AM) *

If Simmer couldn't survive without it, how would any other establishment? They were always busy on the weekends...or at least seemed to be whenever I drove by.

Another example...Baker's Square...or Popeye's...not that either were favorites of mine, but they didn't make it either.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Mar 12 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Mar 12 2008, 08:11 AM) *

I imagine it would depend on what your target group would be ... but I think I would have to agree with SouthSider and say that is where the profits are. But on a side note on the subject - if these additional 10 licenses are issued, will it not diminish the value of those licenses that already exist?
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Mar 12 2008, 05:23 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(kharris @ Mar 12 2008, 06:19 PM) *

I imagine it would depend on what your target group would be ... but I think I would have to agree with SouthSider and say that is where the profits are. But on a side note on the subject - if these additional 10 licenses are issued, will it not diminish the value of those licenses that already exist?

Ten years and $130,000,000 towards economic development didn't work. Ten Taverns or returaunts should do the trick.
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Mar 12 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 39

I don't think it will diminish the value because these will be restricted licenses. They cannot move away form that district. They will be tied to that specific district.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 14 2008, 06:49 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Mar 12 2008, 09:27 PM) *

I don't think it will diminish the value because these will be restricted licenses. They cannot move away form that district. They will be tied to that specific district.

Which is my concern. 10 taverns in that small of an area? That is a pretty tight fit, unless we are looking to establish some kind of club row, sort of like Rush St in Chicago.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 14 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #16

Are the licenses restricted to just pubs, or can they be used for eating establishments also?

Like MC needs more restaurants. When I was in the Navy, stationed in Maryland, I met a man who knew about Michigan City. He called it "The Restaurant Town." He said he had visited City many times, and the one thing he noticed was how many eating places there were. This was about 20 years ago and the town has more now than they did then.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Mar 14 2008, 10:12 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 14 2008, 10:36 AM) *

Are the licenses restricted to just pubs, or can they be used for eating establishments also?

Like MC needs more restaurants. When I was in the Navy, stationed in Maryland, I met a man who knew about Michigan City. He called it "The Restaurant Town." He said he had visited City many times, and the one thing he noticed was how many eating places there were. This was about 20 years ago and the town has more now than they did then.

Well, I live here and I think we do need more restaurants OR close 75% of the petri dishes out there and get some GOOD restaurants. I'm pysched that Gary and Nicole Sanders are reopening Bruno's.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 13 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=13383

City Grants First Liquor License In New District

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - A new restaurant in the former Michigan City Yacht Club will be the first to receive a liquor license under the umbrella of a new district created last month to aid North End redevelopment.

The Michigan City Redevelopment Commis-sion granted a liquor license Monday to 12 on the Lake, owned by local businessman Ed Arnold and his business partner, Chicago restaurateur Richard Mott.

Board members Ed Bigda, Ken Behrendt and Lynne Kaser voted in favor of the move while Cranston Harris abstained and Michael Kniola voted no. Behrendt had to vote to create a majority of the five-member board.

Harris said he abstained because he didn't know enough about the issue. Kniola was not in favor.

The license was made available late last month after the Indiana Alcohol and Tobacco Commission granted the city the right to create a riverfront entertainment district, which will allow the city to go over quota in the sale of liquor licenses.

The move was made to entice developers to create restaurants and taverns along Trail Creek, an area in which the city hopes to see a development boom in coming years.

Arnold said Monday the business fits all criteria set up by the commission, chief among them a contribution to the community and an addition to the tax roles, which will aid in development.

"Some people have really stretched the rules to fit in with legislation like this," Arnold said. "This case is exactly what the rules were designed for."

Redevelopment commission attorney Michael Bergerson said Monday the Alcohol and Tobacco Commission gave the OK to create the district last month, but in doing so didn't tell city officials how many licenses would be made available.

Valparaiso created a similar district last year and received 10 licenses.

"They told us it would go on a case-by-case basis," Bergerson said. "It's certainly not infinite, but it will be decided as each case comes up."

Local tavern owners have argued the need for the extra licenses because they will be available for a price thousands of dollars lower than what existing licenses could be purchased for.

Many tavern owners were at Monday's meeting saying the cheaper licenses will devalue theirs and make it difficult for them to sell their licenses and bars.

"We're not against (Arnold) having a restaurant, we're against him getting a free license," said Larry Fegaras, owner of Galveston Steakhouse, which lies within the new riverfront district. "We want the North End redeveloped. But I didn't expect a free license."

Contrary to that statement, the licenses are not free. The commission will sell them for around $1,000.

The license application for 12 on the Lake now goes before the city's excise board for approval.

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 13 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 3

This is typical of the nomenklatura of MC. They are flooding the market at firesale prices. And the holders of the existing licenses are forced to pick up the soap in the showers. I think they have information about the people or corporations who will end up with the licenses. I do not trust them, and they do not operate in the open. Why should anyone trust them? ANSWER: There is NO reason to.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post May 13 2008, 06:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Mar 12 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Ten years and $130,000,000 towards economic development didn't work. Ten Taverns or returaunts should do the trick.

Well done. But I guess that's what the people want...no one speaks with their ballot anymore.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:46 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com