Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=12764

Solution To Beach Access In The Works

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Tony Childers looks out from his U.S. 12 store at the fence that keeps him and others on the city's West Side from walking over to Crescent Dune and enjoying Lake Michigan, and he longs for years past.

If city officials have their way, he won't have to look much longer.

Mayor Chuck Oberlie said this week the city is trying to secure passage to the long-ago closed Lake Michigan shoreline for West Side residents who would rather swim in their neighborhood than drive to Washington Park beach.

"In 1965 or '66, you could go to the beach unadulterated. Now, 42 years later, you just can't go back," Childers said Thursday. "The old-timers remember what a beautiful lake and what a beautiful time it was over there."

City officials are trying to work out a plan to get West Side residents to Crescent Dune, which is just east of Mount Baldy.

The best way to create a solution, according to Childers, would be for residents to walk directly across U.S. 12 and across the main rail yard leading to NIPSCO's Michigan City generating plant.

In a recent study of North End redevelopment, Andrews University students addressed that possibility with a plan for a multi-million-dollar pedestrian bridge over the tracks. But Oberlie said that option is too expensive.

Oberlie said he thinks the best option now is to utilize a new multi-use trail city officials hope will be built in that area in the coming years. The trail - called Singing Sands - would connect the existing Calumet Trail, which ends just across the county line on U.S. 12 on the north side of the South Shore tracks, to Washington Park.

It would have to cross U.S. 12 at some point, and Oberlie said that crossing point could be turned into a logical crossing for beach access.

"We've met with the railroads and Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission and the national park and they've all been receptive," Oberlie said. "(City Engineer Bill) Phelps for several weeks has been looking at grades and other things.

"Now we're trying to work through INDOT for the final language on Singing Sands in hopes it would provide that crossing."

Third Ward Michigan City Councilman Ron Meer has been pushing for access to Lake Michigan for his West Side constituents for years and said last week he thinks the time has come for the city to make a move.

"There's all that lake for people on the West Side to use and it's really hard to get to," he said. "They should have access just like everyone else."

Access is so important to West Side residents, Childers said, that he's willing to allow parking at his storage lot near U.S. 12 and Sheffield Avenue.

Currently, he uses the space to store boats.

"It's just so important that we're able to get back to that beach," he said. "I learned to fish there. I learned to swim there. And I'm not alone. That space is important to a lot of people."

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 28 2008, 11:28 AM
Post #2

one thought on this... This could be THE thing to start the west side on the road to recovery. Getting beach access could do HUGE things for property values over there. How many other towns from Michigan to Wisconsin would have that kind of access, at the prices that we are talking about for houses there? I'd venture to guess pretty much none.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 28 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 28 2008, 12:28 PM) *

one thought on this... This could be THE thing to start the west side on the road to recovery. Getting beach access could do HUGE things for property values over there. How many other towns from Michigan to Wisconsin would have that kind of access, at the prices that we are talking about for houses there? I'd venture to guess pretty much none.

I was just looking at this on Google Earth. There are houses on the west side which probably could be had for under $50K which are closer to the beach as the crow flies than the Armory. Damn.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 28 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 28 2008, 01:04 PM) *

I was just looking at this on Google Earth. There are houses on the west side which probably could be had for under $50K which are closer to the beach as the crow flies than the Armory. Damn.

Seriously.

And with all of the vacant lots, abandoned houses, and places for sale over there, the potential for wholesale improvements is right there.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Apr 28 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

Doesn't the beachfront all the way to up to the NIPSCO property belong to the National Lakeshore? If so, who will be responsible for patroling it (Lakeshore or City police) since there will be a big increase in traffic?(no Garbacik jokes here, people)

Sounds like a great thing for the folks on that side of our town. I am happy for them.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 28 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Apr 28 2008, 06:42 PM) *

Doesn't the beachfront all the way to up to the NIPSCO property belong to the National Lakeshore?

Yes it does, according to the map at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore website.

http://www.nps.gov/indu/
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Apr 29 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 29 2008, 12:24 AM) *

Yes it does, according to the map at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore website.

http://www.nps.gov/indu/

INDU has law enforcement rangers.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 30 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #8

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...88&TM=31512

Lake Access
West Siders Want Trail To Crescent Dune

Editorial

A solution may be coming soon to provide lakefront access to the residents of Michigan City's West Side, and it's long overdue.

Being able to get to Crescent Dune, just east of Mount Baldy, has been a long-time goal of many residents of the West Side, but it has been particularly aggravating for Tony Childers. He can look out the front door of his business on U.S. 12 and see the dune, but it's virtually impossible to get there.

"The old-timers remember what a beautiful lake and what a beautiful time it was over there," said Childers, who recalled walking to Crescent Dune as a kid.

Getting there means crossing a busy four-lane highway and a rail siding that serves Northern Indiana Public Service Co.'s Michigan City Generating Station. Beyond that, there's a lot of private land owned by the utility, so merely opening up a lane directly to the dune isn't feasible.

While an elaborate pedestrian bridge - complete with an elevator - was included in the Andrews University proposal to improve the city's North End, that idea is far too expensive, said Mayor Chuck Oberlie.

But an alternative is presenting itself in the form of a hiking and bicycling trail that is being built through the city to connect with the existing Calumet Trail at the Porter County line, just south of Mount Baldy. The proposed Singing Sands trail will eventually end up in Washington Park, and because it has to cross U.S. 12 at some point, Oberlie hopes to use that crossing point as improved public access to Crescent Dune.

It's going to take a lot of coordination with the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning commission, NIPSCO, the Indiana Department of Transportation and others to make sure it happens, but laying the ground for that now is the way to make sure it happens.

Councilman Ron Meer, D-3rd Ward, who represents the West Side, is a big proponent of improved lakefront access. "There's all that lake for people on the West Side to use and it's really hard to get to," said Meer.

But if the vision the city has for improving the North End moves ahead has planned, then access to Crescent Dune and Lake Michigan on the West Side will become a whole lot more convenient.

Our Opinion
The Issue: Years ago children crossed the highway, railroad tracks and utility land to get to Crescent Dune.

Our Opinion: That's impossible today, and a pedestrian bridge is far too costly, but the coming Singing Sands trail may provide a way for the West Side to access Lake Michigan.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 30 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Apr 29 2008, 12:26 PM) *

INDU has law enforcement rangers.

And crimes committed on national park land are federal offenses.

I wonder what form access to the beach would take. Apparently a bridge is too expensive. I would think in that location a street level crossing across US 12 would be rather hazardous. I wonder if they are thinking of a pedestrian tunnel.

I don't like pedestrian tunnels. Near where I lived in Chicago there was a pedestrian tunnel under Lake Shore Drive for access to the lakefront, and the tunnel was always a mess -- graffiti, trash, and even the occasional homeless person sleeping in there.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 30 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 30 2008, 01:13 PM) *

I don't like pedestrian tunnels. Near where I lived in Chicago there was a pedestrian tunnel under Lake Shore Drive for access to the lakefront, and the tunnel was always a mess -- graffiti, trash, and even the occasional homeless person sleeping in there.

huh.gif But that wouldn't happen here...not in MC.
(please note the sarcasm).
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 30 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #11

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=58950.51

Beach Access A Low Priority
It seems to me that the past has a very strong noose on Michigan City. The proposed solution to beach access is mind boggling to me. I fully understand it would help the West Side become redeveloped, which is really why it may happen. But to make reference to 1965 and 1966, the way it used to be, is disturbing. Point being, why not move the library and go back to two-way traffic?

The old timers, with all respect, need to let it go. Times change. Trends change. Do we REALLY need a bridge to walk to the beach? Isn't moving the library better money spent? We try to Please everyone in Michigan City. Well, you can't. Tough times are upon the country and I think the last thing we need to worry about is walking to the beach for just a section of residents.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 1 2008, 08:40 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 30 2008, 12:13 PM) *

I don't like them either. I've been through that one in Chicago when you're going to the museums, and one going to the car show at McCormick place (I think that's where i was going-coulda been someplace else) and like Dave said, they were dirty, covered in graffiti, and stunk like urine.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 1 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Southsider, while Roger Willoughby occasionally writes something of amusement value, I've come to the conclusion that his signal-to-noise ratio is so low that I've for the most part quit reading his stuff.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 1 2008, 11:22 AM
Post #14

I just like to present all sides of the story, no matter how silly I think they are smile.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 31 2011, 08:03 AM
Post #15

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...40403728142.txt

City explores Crescent Dune access again

NIPSCO-owned property in the area where the city wants to create better access to Crescent Dune. Photo by Tim Moran
By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, May 27, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — City officials again are exploring the possibility of constructing a parking lot on NIPSCO property off U.S. 12 that would help create an access point to Crescent Dune.

Third Ward Councilman Ron Meer, West Side Lake Access committee chairman, called a special meeting Wednesday to discuss the situation.

Mayor Chuck Oberlie outlined a plan generated by John Doyle, president of Doyle and Associates Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors, that would include an aggregate or gravel parking lot with 105 regular spaces and spots for people with disabilities. It would be connected to a 600-foot long boardwalk over an area of wetlands that would lead eastward to Crescent Dune. A 6-foot high chain-link fence would extend for more than 1,000 feet past the boardwalk and connect to the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore property.

Doyle’s plan is said to come at a $405,000 cost, which would include the lot, fencing, gates and boardwalk.

Oberlie also shared letters he received from NIPSCO and the National Lakeshore.

In a letter addressed to Oberlie last September, Philip Pack, NIPSCO interim vice president generation, said the company is “willing to negotiate” with the city, with a few terms and conditions. Those include the requirement of the fence, signage that recognizes NIPSCO’s efforts in the development of the lot and laying out the lot’s exact location.

First Ward Councilman Richard Murphy, a West Side Lake Access committee member, said he thinks “we’ve gained ground seeing that NIPSCO now agrees to the concept.”

But a letter Oberlie later received from the National Lakeshore pointed out the need for an environmental assessment that could cost in excess of $300,000.

“Until we are able to secure funding, there would be no access from the parking lot to the shore,” the letter reads.

“The hurdle used to be NIPSCO agreeing to this, but now it seems like we have things at a better point with them, but not with the National Lakeshore,” Meer said.

The funding for the assessment, Meer said, more than likely would come from the federal government, with a request from the National Lakeshore.

Meer, Murphy and Oberlie addressed an alternate idea of a larger parking lot that would allow access to Mount Baldy in addition to Crescent Dune.

“I’m hoping we can have a premier parking lot with new entrances to Mount Baldy, Crescent Dune and Lake Michigan,” Meer said.

Oberlie agreed, saying Thursday that “if we are going to build a parking lot to access Crescent Dune, we may as well build something sized adequately to service the Mount Baldy area as well.”

In addition to Meer, Oberlie and Murphy, Fifth Ward Councilwoman Faye Moore, Democratic Third Ward Council candidate Ron Hamilton Jr. and Sixth Ward candidate Chris Schwanke discussed the issue along with Michigan City residents Sharon Carnes, Charles Sherrin and Tony Childers.

Meer said he will talk to Murphy and At-large Councilman Bob McKee, a committee member who was absent for Wednesday’s discussion, before another similar meeting will be called. Then, if everything is aligned, the issue will be brought to the City Council.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 31 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 10

How about a crosswalk with a stop/go light what would stay green until a pedestrian pushed the button? Then it could stay red for a couple minutes while people cross?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 31 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 28 2008, 12:28 PM) *

This is what I said three years ago about this, and nothing has changed. If we can get this done, it could be a huge shot in the arm for the west side.
+Quote Post
diggler
post May 31 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 969

So what is this 'Singing Sands' trail suppose to be...another flood prone mud trail extension of the nail infested Calumet Trail ? blink.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:17 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com