Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ron Huberman leaving CPS
Southsider2k12
post Nov 5 2010, 03:48 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I'm trying to get an official comment from Dr Eason-Watkins regarding any potential interest she might have in the job, but I haven't gotten a reply back from an email I sent to her at about 12:30 today.

http://chicagopressrelease.com/news/huberm...-public-schools

Huberman to leave Chicago Public Schools

Chicago Public Schools CEO Ron Huberman will leave his job on Nov. 29, after just one year and 10 months at the helm of the nation’s third largest school district.

In a statement issued Wednesday, Huberman says he wants to spend more time with his family. But his departure was reported last month by the Sun-Times and is considered to be part of the fallout from Mayor Richard Daley’s announcement that he will not seek another term in office.

Last month Huberman told WBEZ his departure was not imminent, and that he was still focused on the work of the district. “But I think eyes wide open for everyone is, it would be expected is, when there’ll be a new mayor, that there are… those scenarios almost always include transitions.”

In a press statement, Huberman said, “I will always be grateful for the opportunity to have served this city and Mayor Daley as its leader. I have been privileged to work with so many talented people who tirelessly have made this city a better place to work and call home.”

The statement also said Huberman had “privately expressed his interest not to serve another administration.”

Huberman joined CPS after serving stints at the Chicago Transit Authority, the Office of Emergency Management and Communication, and the mayor’s office.

Huberman sent the following e-mail to district employees Wednesday afternoon:

Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:54 PM
To: CPS ALL
Cc: CPS – Teacher All
Subject: Transition update and thank you

Dear Colleagues:

Last week I informed Mayor Daley and President Richardson-Lowry that my last day as chief executive of Chicago Public Schools will be November 29, 2010. I wanted to take a moment to let you know what a privilege it has been to serve you, our students, their families, and our school communities.

Over the last two years at CPS, I’ve had the honor and privilege to meet—and to work alongside—some of the most talented, thoughtful and dynamic people I have met in my career. I have also had the unique opportunity to engage with CPS students, an opportunity that is rare and special.

Having visited hundreds of our schools, I was always energized by my conversations with our students, teachers, principals and assistant principals, whose ideas and input shaped my thinking every day. I know we all share a fundamental belief that our schools must—and can—improve, and that all of our students can succeed.

Many of you are concerned about next steps in terms of leadership at CPS. The district will be in good hands. I expect Mayor Daley to appoint a replacement soon, and I am committed to ensuring a smooth transition to new leadership.

As I reflect on my 16 years in public service, no challenge has been greater or more fulfilling than improving educational outcomes for our students. I want to thank you for the opportunity to work with—and learn from—you over the last two years. The work you do shapes the lives and futures of hundreds of thousands of students each day, and it has been an honor to get to know so many of you.

–Ron

Originally reported by Chicago Public Radio.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 5 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #2

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/...-106724273.html

Huberman Replacements Jockey for Position
Top names floated as mayor looks for someone with business focus, educational deputy
By DICK JOHNSON
Updated 8:20 AM CDT, Fri, Nov 5, 2010

Print Share Buzz up!
5retweet
0diggsdigg

In looking for a replacement for Chicago Public Schools CEO, Mayor Richard Daley may not have to look far to find someone with the mix of business and educational acumen he desires.

"The CEO has always been a business person," said Daley. "It works better that way."

Robert Runcie, the current CPS Administrative Officer, is at or near the top of the list to replace Huberman, NBC Chicago has learned. Runcie is a former business executive with degrees from Harvard and Northwestern and has recent training from the Broad Superintendents Academy. He's also a city parent raising three kids in the public school system.

But his selection may be the polar opposite of what the Chicago Teachers Union wants.

Hours after Huberman's departure was officially known, a collection of community groups assembled by new CTU President Karen Lewis gathered outside Daley's 5th floor office at City Hall to demand a seat at the table to decide Huberman's replacement.

"Let's put together a national, or even international search, for a qualified educator to lead the Chicago Public Schools," said Lewis.

Although Runcie's managerial experience far outweighs his education background, he may appeal to both the mayor and concerned community groups.

"He is a smart and thoughtful leader who has deep knowledge of what’s working and knows how to run a large school system during a time when dollars are tight," said the Broad Academy.

Three other top contenders for the job include Mary Ellen Caron, aDaley confidant and cabinet member who also was an assistant to the Chicago schools CEO and a former Catholic school principal; Terry Mazany, the president of the Chicago Community Trust and a former school administrator in Michigan and California; and Barbara Lumpkin, who is currently the deputy CEO of CPS for external affairs. She's also a former Daley cabinet member.

The current mayor and the the leading possible candidates for new mayor all consider schools among their top issues. The question now is whether Daley will simply appoint a caretaker or someone who might also be a potential school leader for the new mayor.

It's no secret that Rahm Emanuel, for one, is planning to make school reform a central issue if he runs for mayor. He may even kick off his campaign with a school as a backdrop.

Appointing Runci might be an attractive way for the mayor to at least attempt to create continuity for one of his proudest legacies.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/...l#ixzz14RnN8YwP
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 8 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 5 2010, 03:48 PM) *

I'm trying to get an official comment from Dr Eason-Watkins regarding any potential interest she might have in the job, but I haven't gotten a reply back from an email I sent to her at about 12:30 today.

http://chicagopressrelease.com/news/huberm...-public-schools

No reply at all from Dr Eason-Watkins, take that for what its worth.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Nov 8 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 945

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 8 2010, 06:07 PM) *

No reply at all from Dr Eason-Watkins, take that for what its worth.

Me either.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Nov 10 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(NDReporter @ Nov 8 2010, 08:18 PM) *

Me either.

Any update?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 10 2010, 02:51 PM) *

Any update?

I never got any reply.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Nov 10 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 10 2010, 03:02 PM) *

I never got any reply.

Was there any talk about it last night at the SB meeting?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Nov 10 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 945

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 10 2010, 03:14 PM) *

Was there any talk about it last night at the SB meeting?

No.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:13 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com