Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=18821

Hobby Lobby moving to former Valueland II

Dave Hawk
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Hobby Lobby is moving from Dunes Plaza to Lake Park Plaza, a company official said.

It will fill a space previously occupied by Valueland II. The former grocery store has been vacant for 10 years.

"We basically wanted to get a little more visibility, and being on the main road gives us a little more presence there than being on the side street," said Scott Nelson, assistant vice president of real estate for Hobby Lobby from its headquarters in Oklahoma City, Okla.

"That and the economics of the deal were good, and it just made sense to do it at this time."

Preparations for remodeling the former Valueland II started Oct. 14, Nelson said, and he expects the store to open at the new location in February or by early March.

"We are going to do some work on the front facade, not dramatic, but noticeable," he said.

"The building we are leaving has 54,000 square feet, and this building is going be a touch under 53,000, or about 1,000 feet less," he said, so it isn't significantly different in size.

Hobby Lobby moved into Dunes Plaza in January 1999, occupying a former Kmart.

"It started out a little slow, but we are doing well," Nelson said. "Hopefully, more customers will be aware of us at this new location. For a town the size of Michigan City, it's doing very well."

Hobby Lobby has 410 stores in 32 states across most of the country, but not in the Northeast or the West Coast, Nelson said. Stores typically employ 30 to 50 people, he said

"The main lines are arts and crafts, and that includes scrapbooking, which is a big thing right now," he said.

Hobby Lobby also has a home accent department, things used for decorating the house, he said, as well as framing and floral items, "and a huge seasonal department, which right now includes Christmas trees, lights, ornaments and decorations."

The former Valueland II closed Aug. 20, 1998, a year after Meijer opened its grocery and department store across Franklin Street. At that time, Wal-Mart anchored the shopping center, with Valueland II being a second anchor at the other end of a group of stores. Now, the Wal-Mart is vacant since the company opened a new, larger store near Franklin Street and County Road 400 North.

Dunes Plaza is owned by Regis Realty, Dallas, Texas, which declined comment on the move by Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby is leasing from Inland Commercial Properties, which also did not respond.

John Regetz, Michigan City Economic Development Corp. executive director, said his office sees the vacant retail spaces as opportunities for redevelopment, and will list them as available spaces and assist where requested.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 10 2008, 10:49 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I still say they city leadership, such as it is, erred greatly by not including some provision for the old WalNart bldg. in the agreement for the new WalNart bldg.

Why no sidewalks? No bike paths? Green spaces? Heck, they do it everywhere else.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
ANH27
post Nov 10 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 832

I had heard that an Olive Garden would open in that spot... guess I heard wrong.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(ANH27 @ Nov 10 2008, 11:16 AM) *

I had heard that an Olive Garden would open in that spot... guess I heard wrong.

They are down a little bit further. Between Office Max/Depot and Ryans.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 10 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #5

The observant Gentle Reader will notice the construction.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 10 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

Well, I for one didn't realize that Highway 20 was a side street. I would consider St. Johns Rd a side street, but certainly not 20.

So, it's good that Hobby Lobby is moving into that plaza but what does it mean for Dune's Plaza? (We have a Hobby Lobby here, I wonder if it's the westernmost store. No one in Utah that i have spoken with has ever heard of it, so maybe...)

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CLW28
post Nov 10 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #7

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 842

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 10 2008, 03:30 PM) *

Well, I for one didn't realize that Highway 20 was a side street. I would consider St. Johns Rd a side street, but certainly not 20.

So, it's good that Hobby Lobby is moving into that plaza but what does it mean for Dune's Plaza? (We have a Hobby Lobby here, I wonder if it's the westernmost store. No one in Utah that i have spoken with has ever heard of it, so maybe...)

I believe it means a Burlington Coat Factory in that spot.

Signature Bar
-Christopher Willoughby
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 10 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

Well Burlington would be a great addition. I always hated having to drive to M'ville to shop there. Here we don't have those at all sad.gif
Actually, ANYTHING would be great so long as it doesn't sit empty like everything else.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Nov 11 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 10 2008, 10:49 AM) *

I still say they city leadership, such as it is, erred greatly by not including some provision for the old WalNart bldg. in the agreement for the new WalNart bldg.
Why no sidewalks? No bike paths? Green spaces? Heck, they do it everywhere else.

What he said....this city get's no respect because our leaders are willing to settle for anything that a developer proposes.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 11 2008, 09:31 AM
Post #10

They also claim the development is adding to the local taxes collected; what is the nature of the tax abatements, etc., they give as inducements? And now with HB 1001, the eventual tax will be limited anyway. And don't forget to subtract the taxes not paid by the abandoned property.

Now the Trail Creek Corridor is getting prepped to get 'developed.' Expect more of the same old same old, but with worse effects.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:45 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com