Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...f1307054986.txt

Alleged driver in hit-and-run crash with school bus arrested

From Staff Reports
Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:17 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — A hit-and-run driver who crashed into a school bus Monday was tracked down and arrested thanks to a witness who pursued the car long enough to get the license plate number.

Chanda Christine Kinney, 18, 725 E. Hobart St., was arrested at 3:30 p.m. on charges of leaving the scene of a personal-injury accident, driving without a driver’s license and disregarding a stop sign. She was taken into custody about an hour after the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu she was driving hit the school bus at Sixth and Pine streets, according to reports.

Two boys among the 22 passengers on the bus — ages 12 and 14 — reported suffering minor head pain as a result of the collision and were taken to St. Anthony Memorial by ambulance as a precaution. The bus driver, Evonne Bowers, 47, Michigan City, and the other passengers were not injured.

Police said their investigation shows Kinney was going east on Sixth Street and allegedly disregarded the stop sign at Pine Street. The front of her car hit the left rear of the bus. When the driver of the car fled, a witness followed her east on Sixth street to Michigan Boulevard, then east long enough to get the license plate number. He told police he followed until the car turned into an alley.

Although the car was registered to a La Porte woman, police were led to Kinney’s address because she was stopped by an officer earlier and given a warning for allegedly speeding 43 mph in a 20 mph zone while driving on Woodland Avenue at Barker Road. She also was cited at that time for driving without a license. The car she was driving was left parked at the adjacent Woodland Crossing apartment complex for a licensed driver to pick up.

When police arrived at Kinney’s address, she was just getting out of the driver’s door. Police said she admitted to driving at Sixth and Pine streets, but told them she was unaware she hit the bus. The car had front end damage, including yellow paint marks from the school bus, according to the investigation.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 27 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Alleged driver in hit-and-run crash with school bus arrested

From Staff Reports
Published: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:17 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — A hit-and-run driver who crashed into a school bus Monday was tracked down and arrested thanks to a witness who pursued the car long enough to get the license plate number.

Chanda Christine Kinney, 18, 725 E. Hobart St., was arrested at 3:30 p.m. on charges of leaving the scene of a personal-injury accident, driving without a driver’s license and disregarding a stop sign. She was taken into custody about an hour after the 1998 Chevrolet Malibu she was driving hit the school bus at Sixth and Pine streets, according to reports.

Two boys among the 22 passengers on the bus — ages 12 and 14 — reported suffering minor head pain as a result of the collision and were taken to St. Anthony Memorial by ambulance as a precaution. The bus driver, Evonne Bowers, 47, Michigan City, and the other passengers were not injured.

Police said their investigation shows Kinney was going east on Sixth Street and allegedly disregarded the stop sign at Pine Street. The front of her car hit the left rear of the bus. When the driver of the car fled, a witness followed her east on Sixth street to Michigan Boulevard, then east long enough to get the license plate number. He told police he followed until the car turned into an alley.

Although the car was registered to a La Porte woman, police were led to Kinney’s address because she was stopped by an officer earlier and given a warning for allegedly speeding 43 mph in a 20 mph zone while driving on Woodland Avenue at Barker Road. She also was cited at that time for driving without a license. The car she was driving was left parked at the adjacent Woodland Crossing apartment complex for a licensed driver to pick up.

When police arrived at Kinney’s address, she was just getting out of the driver’s door. Police said she admitted to driving at Sixth and Pine streets, but told them she was unaware she hit the bus. The car had front end damage, including yellow paint marks from the school bus, according to the investigation.

I hope the two boys are going to be OK.

Why did the police allow her to continue driving without a licence?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 27 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jan 27 2010, 03:30 PM) *

Yeah, great question. That has to be a huge mistake.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 27 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jan 27 2010, 03:30 PM) *

I don't think they did -- from the article (the next sentence after your highlight):
The car she was driving was left parked at the adjacent Woodland Crossing apartment complex for a licensed driver to pick up.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 28 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 27 2010, 03:35 PM) *

I don't think they did -- from the article (the next sentence after your highlight):

That's good, I hope the judge throws the book at her and the boys parents get paid.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 28 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jan 28 2010, 10:05 AM) *

That's good, I hope the judge throws the book at her and the boys parents get paid.

Agreed, but unlikely. No license, almost certainly no insurance, and probably no significant assets for the 18 year old driver. The only place I could see the injured boys getting money from would either be the school or possibly the city (city might be a bit of a stretch for liability).
+Quote Post
dusk
post Jan 28 2010, 12:58 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 979

QUOTE(Dave @ Jan 28 2010, 12:41 PM) *

Agreed, but unlikely. No license, almost certainly no insurance, and probably no significant assets for the 18 year old driver. The only place I could see the injured boys getting money from would either be the school or possibly the city (city might be a bit of a stretch for liability).

I hope not. As far as we know (from the story), neither the school nor the city did anything to cause the alleged injuries. Find a way to indefinitely garnish the wages and/or benefits of the person whose wrongdoing is to blame.

Signature Bar
I don't know how I wound up here, but I'm increasingly glad I did.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jan 28 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

I pretty much agree, dusk. Finding liability on the part of the school or the city would require some creative lawyering on someone's part, not likely to happen, but they appear to be the only possible "deep pockets" in this situation. I suppose the car owners' insurance is another possibility, assuming there's some insurance out there -- or even direct liability for the car owner.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 28 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

I just wondering, when she was orignially pulled over for speeding and ticketed for not having a licence and parked the car. Did the police wait around for either the car and/or the woman to be picked by a licenced driver? Or did the police leave the scene with the woman there along with the car keys? Was it the same vehicle that hit the bus?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:48 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com