IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NIPSCO Proposes 16% rate increase, Utility says it is seeking first rate increase in 20 years.
Tom Burns
post Dec 18 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

Thoughts, comments?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 18 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Thoughts? I am not surprised

Comments? @#$^%ER%^&*FCUI&F^&

smile.gif
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Dec 18 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 18 2008, 07:41 AM) *

Thoughts? I am not surprised

Comments? @#$^%ER%^&*FCUI&F^&

smile.gif

(Tried to post this a few minutes ago, comment on a comment, but apparently I did it wrong, again. If this is a duplicate, please eliminate.)

"@#$^%ER%^&*FCUI&F^&" Per George Carlin, I am not sure I could put that comment on the radio even without identity of the author, but it translates.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Dec 18 2008, 09:16 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

16%? Are they crazy?
Most of our bills will probably be double of what they were only a month or two ago as it is, just because of the weather. Now they want us to pay even more? angry.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 18 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

C'mon, people, I thought this was a capitalist society. What say the MF's from the U of Chicago re regulation of this private company? What say the free-marketeers? The deregulation advocates?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 18 2008, 10:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

What say the NiSource bigwigs with big fat bank accounts that are only getting bigger?

They say, "Hell Yea!!! Rate increase! Whoo-Hoo!! Let's do it!"

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 18 2008, 10:31 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3

Quite a contrast with the folks wondering how to pay the bill or what they will do without to pay it. This is why I have not supported deregulation of utilities. People ARE more important than money.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Dec 18 2008, 01:49 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Dec 18 2008, 07:35 AM) *

Thoughts, comments?

[Animal House quote] Thank you sir, may I have another? [/Animal House quote]
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Dec 19 2008, 09:40 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 18 2008, 10:13 AM) *

C'mon, people, I thought this was a capitalist society. What say the MF's from the U of Chicago re regulation of this private company? What say the free-marketeers? The deregulation advocates?

If Milton Friedman were alive now I think he would say that the market is not free, when one side in essence controls the market for its benefit the market fails to be free....i.e. the closeness between Wall Street/investment bankers and regulators, and the situation where utility regulation in many states is in hands of those who hope to someday get better pay working for utilities. This comment is not directed to the Indiana utilities regulators, but to regulation in general by boards supposedly independent of the regulated industries. The utility industry has a voice to influence regulators, the general interest which is larger is so defuse that its influence is less.

Maybe this is getting a bit heavy... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Sorry I can't get to the Sunday event, I am buried in ice attempting to make my rounds radio station to station but stuck in central Illinois.

+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Dec 21 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Thats 0.875% per year for the past 20 years.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 22 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Dec 21 2008, 12:36 PM) *

Thats 0.875% per year for the past 20 years.

Which is extremely misleading considering prices charged have changed a lot in 20 years.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Dec 22 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 22 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Which is extremely misleading considering prices charged have changed a lot in 20 years.

By that do you mean surcharges, delivery charges, etc?

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 23 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Dec 22 2008, 09:06 PM) *

By that do you mean surcharges, delivery charges, etc?

When the price of natural gas has increased, the prices have risen, because my NIPSCO bill sure as heck has changed in the last 20 years, that's for sure. I am sure when they are talking about a "rate" increase, they are talking about how they charge for the price they receive, which is very misleading IMO. The price increases have been passed along the whole time.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Dec 24 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

I am no economist but would it not be fair to say that NIPSCO wants to increase their profit margin by 16%?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 24 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #15

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=59565.56

NIPSCO rate hike amended

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - NIPSCO announced Monday the planned electric-rate adjustment related to the new Sugar Creek generating facility is being amended.

Rather than a two-step process that would amount to an overall electric bill increase of 11.7 percent for NIPSCO customers, it is now a one-step process and will result in a 9.8 percent overall increase. The lower rate increase is due to the Terre Haute generating facility beginning operation Dec. 1, rather than in June 2010, which had first been expected.

The 9.8 percent increase will more than likely take effect in early 2010, NIPSCO spokeswoman Colleen Reilly said. A typical NIPSCO residential electric customer will see an increase of approximately $12.76 in their monthly electric bill.

According to Reilly, when the utility first purchased the Sugar Creek facility, it was under contract to provide power to eastern states through the PJM Interconnection, a regional power transmission organization. Once NIPSCO purchased the generating facility, they were able to end the facility's contract with PJM and dispatch the power through Midwest ISO, a regional power transmission organization that serves the Midwest.

Because NIPSCO was able to switch transmission organizations, they were able to start generating energy for NIPSCO customers much earlier than anticipated.

Reilly said the electric rate hike is the result of a combination of several factors.

"The cost of doing business, infrastructure improvements, capacity and shareholder returns are some things taken into consideration," Reilly said.

The original two-step rate hike called for a 2.7 percent rise to be implemented in early 2010, and a 9 percent increase four to six months following the first increase.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 29 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=30949.6

NIPSCO rate hike amended

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - NIPSCO announced Monday the planned electric-rate adjustment related to the new Sugar Creek generating facility is being amended.

Rather than a two-step process that would amount to an overall electric bill increase of 11.7 percent for NIPSCO customers, it is now a one-step process and will result in a 9.8 percent overall increase. The lower rate increase is due to the Terre Haute generating facility beginning operation Dec. 1, rather than in June 2010, which had first been expected.

The 9.8 percent increase will more than likely take effect in early 2010, NIPSCO spokeswoman Colleen Reilly said. A typical NIPSCO residential electric customer will see an increase of approximately $12.76 in their monthly electric bill.

According to Reilly, when the utility first purchased the Sugar Creek facility, it was under contract to provide power to eastern states through the PJM Interconnection, a regional power transmission organization. Once NIPSCO purchased the generating facility, they were able to end the facility's contract with PJM and dispatch the power through Midwest ISO, a regional power transmission organization that serves the Midwest.

Because NIPSCO was able to switch transmission organizations, they were able to start generating energy for NIPSCO customers much earlier than anticipated.

Reilly said the electric rate hike is the result of a combination of several factors.

"The cost of doing business, infrastructure improvements, capacity and shareholder returns are some things taken into consideration," Reilly said.

The original two-step rate hike called for a 2.7 percent rise to be implemented in early 2010, and a 9 percent increase four to six months following the first increase.
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Jan 12 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Hearing gets underway at Indianapolis. LaPorte county commissioners to testify and a follow up hearing will take place in Gary. We are following this on air, WEFM.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com