Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ron Meer runs for "full-time public office"
Homey
post Sep 14 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

I got a kick out of reading this. Seems like it doesn't matter what job he gets, just as long as he's employed by the city and keep his name in the headlines. YAWN! I want a Mayor who has a plan and a drive, not just because he wants to be a big shot. Mr. Meer needs to define his real agenda.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 1)
Southsider2k12
post Sep 15 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...d3968343297.txt

Meer considers run for ‘full-time’ public office

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 5:11 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Common Councilman Ron Meer said Monday he is considering running for a “full-time” political position, but has yet to narrow his focus to a particular office.

A lot of people have been encouraging him to run for mayor, Meer said. He is also considering a run for city clerk.

“I’m still thinking about a lot of things,” he said.

In the meantime, Meer is sponsoring WIMS radio’s high school football coverage. Meer, a one-time Rogers High School football player, said the radio spots are “not really” campaign ads, but acknowledged they do serve a purpose beyond simply sponsoring the coverage.

“I thought it was the right thing to do to support it,” he said, “And it keeps name recognition for me, also.”

The spots, which Meer said run during football games and multiple times a day, include a plug for the councilman.

“This is Michigan City Councilman Ron Meer,” Meer says in the ad. “And as always, I’m committed to putting Michigan City residents first.”

Meer said he may decide to run for his city council seat again. If he throws his hat in the ring in a bid for mayor or city clerk, however, he may face competition.

Mayor Chuck Oberlie, who is serving his second full term as mayor, was unavailable to comment, but hasn’t yet announced whether he will run for re-election. Oberlie also finished the term of former Mayor Sheila Brillson. Councilman Bob McKee, who in June wouldn’t rule out running for mayor, said Tuesday he wasn’t ready to say “one way or the other” about a bid for the job.

Recently retired Police Chief Ben Neitzel has said he’s interested in becoming city clerk. At his retirement party in July, he said he was not yet “100 percent sure.” The current occupant of the office, Thomas Fedder, also would not say in July whether or not he would run again.

With the possibility of Meer and McKee facing off in a mayoral election, Council President Marc Espar wouldn’t say who, if any, of his council colleagues he would rather see in the mayor’s office.

“I really wouldn’t want to speculate,” he said. “I think Bob (McKee) would make an excellent mayor. I think Mayor Oberlie would make an excellent mayor.”

As for himself, Espar said he’s focusing on the job he has.

“I really do not have any intention for running for mayor,” he said.

Candidates have until Feb. 18 to file to run in the May 3 primary.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com