Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46521.04

Students benefit from Donor's Choice aid

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Teachers ask. You choose. Students learn.

That's the simple premise of the Donor's Choice non-profit charity, which helps public-school teachers with funding special projects for their students.

Elston Middle School teachers did ask. You chose them. Elston Middle School students are learning.

In Laura Daly's seventh-grade language-arts classes, students are learning to read for pleasure, thanks to donors who provided a little more than $200 for new books to add to her classroom library.

"I read at night," said Alexis Dawson. Sometmes, she reads in bed. She is especially fond of author Sharon Draper. "She makes you not want to put the book down," said Alexis, who works on the school paper, The Howler, and hopes to be a reporter when she is an adult.

At least a half dozen of Daly's students said they have no appreciation for the "Harry Potter" books.

"I like books that are more like real life, not fantasy," said DeeAndre Venters. Many of the students enjoy a series known as the Kimani Tru books and the Bluford series. Bluford is the name of a high school.

According to the publisher, Kimani Tru books focus "on the triumphs and obstacles of today's African-American youth with wit and realism."

The books don't shy away from tough subjects such as teen sex, addictions and other issues.

Students chat companionably as they discuss the merits of various author's series.

Tayeisha Coleman says she enjoys the Kimani Tru books because "the conversations sound like real conversations."

Veronica Williams has read a dozen of the Bluford High books, including one about an abusive relationship.

Her parents know what she's reading, Veronica said, "but I'm too young to date."

Gladys Salgado likes the Bluford books as well. The characters "often have arguments, but they end up solving the problem at the end.

Good authors, Alexis said, put characters in realistic situations.

"That's what I like, too," said DeeAndre. "real life."

Those who want to make real-life situations in public schools more enriching might choose to donate through Donors Choose. Just go to www.donorschoose.org and search for a project you like or a local school and follow directions on making donations.

Two other Elston teachers won awards for their students.

Shannon Galloway, a seventh-grade reading teacher, bought books and Adam Goebel, an eighth-grade science teacher, bought science equipment.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:51 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com