> MCEA Authorizes Strike
eric.hanke
post Oct 22 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

MCEA Votes in Approval of Strike Authorization

According to Deborah Sederberg at The News-Dispatch The Michigan City Education Association (The Teachers’ Union) voted last night to authorize a strike.

While the vote does not mean the teachers will strike it gives the Union Board authorization to call for one (a strike).

As a School Board candidate I do not condone a strike, which is illegal according to Indiana State Law, but I can certainly understand the MCEA’s position.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 22 2008, 01:10 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

OMG!! You know it's got to be bad if they're willing to take such drastic measures.

I hope Admin and the current Board get it together and can work it out with the teachers before they actually go on strike. That will be such a travesty for the kids.

Amazing.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 22 2008, 01:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

I'll bet this is their response after the MCAS chucked the progress they had made at mediation by calling for fact-finding at that stage of the negotations. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what the school system wants so it has the chance to legally fire more teachers than it could ever dream of. After the reasons some have been getting fired lately, the conspiracy theory buff in me wonders if there is a reason for this sudden about face.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 23 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #4

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=18349

Teachers strike authorized, not imminent

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

Both sides dread possibility of action.

MICHIGAN CITY - Even the president of the union has dreadful memories of the last teachers strike.

"I try not to think about it," said Phyllis Stark, referring to the 1985 strike when she was teaching at Elston High School.

Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, acknowledged "We know it's illegal for teachers to strike."

Nonetheless, about 350 teachers are willing to risk the consequences, which could mean dismissal.

The drastic move is not imminent, Stark said.

"But the members overwhelmingly voted to give the MCEA negotiating team the authority to call for a strike if necessary," Stark said in a release. It was a reluctant decision, she added. "This is not the positive direction that teachers wished for." Teachers are responding to "the disrespect shown to them and their frustration with working without a contract for so long."

The previous contract expired in June 2007.

The teachers indicated they are particularly upset with the administration's decision last week to move to fact-finding.

The two teams had been engaged in mediation and Stark sees fact-finding as a step backward.

It could take 45 days to find a fact finder, said Mary Junglas, UniServe director and board president Clyde Zeek agrees.

"Fact-finding is a process that stops mediation," Stark said. She said the Association team believed it was close to a settlement.

The MCAS team didn't feel that close, said Marsha Bugalla, attorney for the board and spokeswoman for the MCAS team.

"We are very disappointed and disheartened with the administration's decision to end mediation with no apparent reason and to request fact-finding," Stark said.

"This is a huge step backward for the students, parents, teachers and the entire community. It also is a sad day for both of the negotiating teams who were in agreement on most points and were bargaining in good faith toward a solution and a new contract."

Bugalla asks the community to remember there are two sides to the story.

The administration's team made several proposals team members saw as reasonable, but the teachers rejected them.

About fact-finding she said, "We felt it was necessary to go to the next level."

The reaction from school board members has been mixed.

President Clyde Zeek, who, ironically was a brand-new superintendent when the 1985 strike began, said he would be disappointed to see a strike.

"I can't support a strike," he said. "But I'm very sorry to hear about this (vote), and I'm still hopeful that we can reach an agreement."

The last teacher's strike in the area was in Gary in 2006. Teachers there had not been on strike since 1984.

Member Jim Kintzele was nearly speechless.

"I don't know what to say," he finally admitted, then added, "I can fully understand how the teachers feel."

Member Nathaniel Gipson wasn't shy about expressing his reaction.

"No one ever wins in strikes," he said. He was working for NIPSCO during the utility's eight-month strike. "I would like to see this settled."

Beryle Burgwald thinks the vote was bad strategy.

"It was stupid," he said. "They are going to lose a lot of support in the community

"My impression is that it plays right into the administration's hands and it is my impression that the administration wanted to induce a strike to get rid of some teachers."

A strike would be illegal, Burgwald said.

"If they strike and they violate a court order to return to work then indeed they should be dismissed.

"I am very disappointed."

Rick Carlson declined comment and The News-Dispatch was unable to reach board members Kathy Lee and Jeff Jones.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 23 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 22 2008, 02:46 PM) *

I'll bet this is their response after the MCAS chucked the progress they had made at mediation by calling for fact-finding at that stage of the negotations. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what the school system wants so it has the chance to legally fire more teachers than it could ever dream of. After the reasons some have been getting fired lately, the conspiracy theory buff in me wonders if there is a reason for this sudden about face.

As a recently retired MCEA leader, I can honestly say that this is exactly what M. Harding wants. Our teachers need community support right now. All the ideas everyone has been saying: go to the Board meeting, call Board members, email Board members, are great ideas and everyone needs to do this. May I also suggest to stand up and speak during the open forum (at the end of the meeting, I'm sorry to say). Put some pressure on the 4Harding members. The real pressure should be put on Rick Carlson and Nate Gipson.
Both of these issues (fact-finding and Harding's contract) divides our community.
+Quote Post
digger262
post Oct 24 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 771

I was a sophomore during the 1985 strike and remember it well. Heck, I had just received my drivers license and learned to drive because of the strike smile.gif

I'm not so sure nobody wins in a strike. Usually, I am completely against a strike. But as I recall, it was only after a strike that the admin moved to get the deal done in 1985.

Burgwald is a fool if he thinks the teachers will lose community support if they strike. I'm guessing 80+% of the community was behind the MCAS in 1985 and will be again.

+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 24 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I was in grade school in 85 and I had a kick butt science project. I won the schools then the local one and was going to keep going but the damn strike stopped me.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 24 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #8

I was graduated and out of town. Didn't even know about a teacher's strike till many years later.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 24 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #9

Looking at Mr Burgwalds quote, I know I have said before i think they are looking for reasons to fire more teachers. This looks like it.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 25 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3

The authorization is a way to communicate to the Admin the level of frustration. I do not think the community will be behind the teachers--a big part of this is that so many people will be INCONVENIENCED by a strike, and given the very high "what's in it for ME?" attitude so prevalent nowadays, that inconvenience will turn the public.

I, of course, support the MCEA.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
The_Mikester
post Oct 31 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #11

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 343

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 25 2008, 09:56 AM) *

The authorization is a way to communicate to the Admin the level of frustration. I do not think the community will be behind the teachers--a big part of this is that so many people will be INCONVENIENCED by a strike, and given the very high "what's in it for ME?" attitude so prevalent nowadays, that inconvenience will turn the public.

I, of course, support the MCEA.

So do I! I had a major crush on Phyllis' sister all thru elementary school!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 3 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #12

Would that have been Marsha?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 3 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #13

This was interesting from the MCHS columnist this year...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46276.62

Teachers, students matter most
Jack Allgood
Michigan City High School

On a regular basis, I hear about how great the Michigan City Area Schools used to be and how great they could be, but never how great they are now.

This is because the school board and administrators have lost sight of what matters most in a school system: The teachers and the students.

Since June 2007, the teachers' union has been in negotiations with the school board in order to come to some sort of win-win situation for both sides. These negotiations have proved to be ineffective.

After several ups and downs with negotiations, the teachers' union finally felt that they were close to signing a contract. The school board had different intentions and left mediation. This action showed the community the stubbornness of the school board, and left the teachers without a new contract.

"I think this problem has been occurring too long, and I feel that it needs to be resolved as quickly as possible," said senior Spencer Stahl.

This lack of cooperation from the school board is a disgrace to our entire community, especially the teachers and students. As a result, it has left the teachers demoralized and disrespected. The teachers are the ones who actually do the work to benefit the students, not the school board. Therefore, the school board should pursue the wants and needs of the teachers and students.

"The only people doing any sort of good for us students in the school system are the counselors and teachers." said senior Dalton Hauskins.

The students need this collaboration among the school board and the teachers in order to receive the full benefits of an education.

Despite the issues the teachers are involved in, they still maintain a positive attitude and a willingness to teach.

"We (the teachers) are all here for the kids and always will be here for the kids," said Phyllis Stark, president of the teachers' union.

When the school board decides to put aside its headstrong views on the teachers and the students, MCAS can take steps toward making itself the great school system it once was.

q

Jack Allgood, a senior at Michigan City High School, is a student-columnist for The News-Dispatch. Views expressed are the writer's, not necessarily the school's or the newspaper's.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 3 2008, 12:35 PM
Post #14

Interesting first sentence; it makes me wonder how they feel about being compared and found wanting.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 3 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #15

Well, it just goes to show that this nonsense has gone on too long when the students are getting involved with news paper editorials and such. It would be wonderful so see a large group of students at the next SB meeting to rally for the teachers to get a new contract.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 3 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #16

Personally if I were head of the teachers union, I would be recruiting every single possible teacher there to speak during the public forum. I would ask each and every one of them to speak for their entire 3 minutes alloted for speaking, and have them tell the stories of how much, and how long they work during the course of a day. Let the public hear what our teachers really do with their time.
+Quote Post
The_Mikester
post Nov 3 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #17

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 343

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 3 2008, 09:10 AM) *

Would that have been Marsha?

No, Jan...
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 4 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #18

What happened to Cindy?
laugh.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dan
post Nov 4 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 797

Can't support any organization that rewards those who excel at their profession to the same degree as those who do not.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 4 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #20

good point Dan, but I wouldn't call it rewarding. I would say it's more like "protecting" and that term I use in the full sense of the MCEA. All dues paying members are afforded the same rights and protections as their peers.
This is not limited to just the teacher's union, it is the one weakness of all unions because this makes it harder to get rid of worthless employees.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:29 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com