Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of the City Address
Homey
post Jan 21 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

So, what do you think of Mayor Oberlies' State of the City Address?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 21 2009, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Member No.: 3

I have only heard parts of it on the radio (WIMS, naturally) so I cannot speak to the whole speech. Is there a transcript available anywhere? I searched AJE but they didn't cover it.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Jan 21 2009, 11:04 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 21 2009, 10:46 AM) *

I have only heard parts of it on the radio (WIMS, naturally) so I cannot speak to the whole speech. Is there a transcript available anywhere? I searched AJE but they didn't cover it.

I was there.

Oberlie is proposing downgrading MC's 2nd class city status to 3rd class. This would allow the city to eliminate 3 councilpersons. 3rd class cities have 5 districts and 2 at large seats as opposed to our current 6 districts and 3 at large seats.

It would also allow for the consolidation of the City Clerk and treasurer positions into one elected office and for a reduction of board members on certain commissions.

He claims this would result in a $75K savings/year

I'd like to hear opinions on this. I think we could cut $75K out of the budget in other areas. My gut reaction is less representation is not a good thing, but maybe I'm missing something.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jan 21 2009, 11:22 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Try www.emichigancity.com . I heard they were streaming a video there.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 21 2009, 11:28 AM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jan 21 2009, 11:22 AM) *

Try www.emichigancity.com . I heard they were streaming a video there.

I have a request in to the Mayor's office for a text version. If I get it, I will post it here.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jan 21 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Jan 21 2009, 11:04 AM) *

I was there.

Oberlie is proposing downgrading MC's 2nd class city status to 3rd class. This would allow the city to eliminate 3 councilpersons. 3rd class cities have 5 districts and 2 at large seats as opposed to our current 6 districts and 3 at large seats.

It would also allow for the consolidation of the City Clerk and treasurer positions into one elected office and for a reduction of board members on certain commissions.

I'd like to hear opinions on this. I think we could cut $75K out of the budget in other areas. My gut reaction is less representation is not a good thing, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't live in "Michigan City" proper so my remarks are limited to an "outside" perspective. But I agree that less representation is never good, especially for such limited savings. $75K is such a small amount of money, I am certain that other financial benefits could be found, the Mayor's inability to address them leaves me with the opinion that he did not research the issue fully and that his desire to redistrict the city has other underlying, undisclosed reasons.

When I first read the message I thought Oberlie wanted to downgrade the class of actual Michigan City Citizens and not the city's class as it relates to government structure.

I look forward to reading the Mayor's full remarks once posted on CBTL.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
kharris
post Jan 21 2009, 11:48 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

I was there.

Don't know if this has anything to do with his statements ... but downgrading to 3rd class means the mayor runs council meetings as opposed to the council running them now. This is how LaPorte conducts their council meetings.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jan 21 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 21 2009, 11:48 AM) *

Don't know if this has anything to do with his statements ... but downgrading to 3rd class means the mayor runs council meetings as opposed to the council running them now. This is how LaPorte conducts their council meetings.

Se my previous post. These are exactly the things I am talking about. What other changes would be in store?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Homey
post Jan 21 2009, 11:51 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Interesting.

So he's doing this because of our population?

What does a 3rd class mean in other areas, like taxes and assessments, state funding I wonder?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Jan 21 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #10

Group: Banned
Member No.: 72

I know that during his speech, Oberlie mentioned that we were grandfathered in as a 2nd class city...if you look at in.gov they mention this as pretty much being the only criteria

STATUS AND POPULATION CLASS
Cities of 600,000 or more First class cities
Cities of 35,000 to 599,999 Second class cities
Cities of less than 35,000 Third class cities
http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title36/ar4/ch1.html

I suppose the government would now be run in a similar fashion to that of Portage

http://www.ci.portage.in.us/clerk_treasure...ex.asp?fDD=3-79

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 21 2009, 12:01 PM
Post #11

I was there.

Without having the budget or address in front of me, I have no problem with them reducing the size of the council and boards. The sizes of many of them reflect the realities of a different era. I am guessing those sizes were established back when Michigan City had many more people, and was expected to keep adding folks. I have been told when they did the study for the future Rogers High School, they were expecting City to have 100,000 by the turn of the 21st century. Those realities are gone. I like that the Mayor is looking to do some internal belt tightening instead of service cutting.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 21 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jan 21 2009, 11:44 AM) *

EricH's statements are normal font; my comments are size 3 bold italics.

I don't live in "Michigan City" proper so my remarks are limited to an "outside" perspective. But I agree that less representation is never good, especially for such limited savings. $75K is such a small amount of money, I am certain that other financial benefits could be found, the Mayor's inability to address them leaves me with the opinion that he did not research the issue fully and that his desire to redistrict the city has other underlying, undisclosed reasons.

Exactly. This has the same aroma as the Mayor of La Porte's telling us that when the city has to cut budget, the cops and firemen are the first choice. When MC needs to save some money, why is THIS the first thing on the block, when the the City urgently needs better and broader representation?

When I first read the message I thought Oberlie wanted to downgrade the class of actual Michigan City Citizens and not the city's class as it relates to government structure.

Ha ha -- like using split infinitives and blue language in mixed company; even making pocket t-shirts acceptable formalwear if they are tucked in. Can we look up the pertinent parts of this change in the Indiana Code?

I look forward to reading the Mayor's full remarks once posted on CBTL.

Yes, and what do we hear from the Council? And what about all those nepotic boards and commissions?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jan 21 2009, 12:05 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 21 2009, 12:01 PM) *

Without having the budget or address in front of me, I have no problem with them reducing the size of the council and boards. The sizes of many of them reflect the realities of a different era. I am guessing those sizes were established back when Michigan City had many more people, and was expected to keep adding folks. I have been told when they did the study for the future Rogers High School, they were expecting City to have 100,000 by the turn of the 21st century. Those realities are gone. I like that the Mayor is looking to do some internal belt tightening instead of service cutting.

Interesting comments SSER. Have you lost faith in the growth potential of Michigan City?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 21 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Jan 21 2009, 12:05 PM) *

Interesting comments SSER. Have you lost faith in the growth potential of Michigan City?

I wouldn't say that I have lost faith, but we also have to be able to recognize when the situation on the ground has changed. We are in a resource crunch right now, both in the money we are getting from the state, and the money we have become dependent on from Blue Chip. I have been saying for a long time now that we are going to see some ugly choices having to be made, and I believe looking at the size of our government is a fair discussion. To me, I would rather see a small City Council, than say less snow plows.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jan 21 2009, 12:11 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Jan 21 2009, 12:09 PM) *

I wouldn't say that I have lost faith, but we also have to be able to recognize when the situation on the ground has changed. We are in a resource crunch right now, both in the money we are getting from the state, and the money we have become dependent on from Blue Chip. I have been saying for a long time now that we are going to see some ugly choices having to be made, and I believe looking at the size of our government is a fair discussion. To me, I would rather see a small City Council, than say less snow plows.

/agree

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 21 2009, 12:15 PM
Post #16

SSider, I am concerned about the quality of that gov't; the smaller, more concentrated City Hall seems that the extant problems MC faces are even more tightly locked in that way because the new blood needed (and I think we all agree on that) gets shut out even more than it is now.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jan 21 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Homey @ Jan 21 2009, 11:51 AM) *

Interesting.

So he's doing this because of our population?

What does a 3rd class mean in other areas, like taxes and assessments, state funding I wonder?

I know that things such as federal funding are tied to the population level, and realizing that class level is also based on population levels, I could only surmize that funding would be reduced if the move was mad from 2nd to 3rd class. That said, knowing that MC could remain 2nd class even though population levels have dropped makes me wonder whether funding has really been affected by the decrease in population.

But then it does seem to be a drastic measure to save, should I say, a mere $75,000. The same way I believed LaPorte could find a way to drop $300,000, I think it could even be easier for MC to drop the $75,000 reduced by this move.

And since I am sure everyone would like to hear my "real" opinion on this .... I truly believe that "streamlining" of this nature better suits to consolidate power than it does to reduce spending. Another note regarding 3rd class cities ... an ordinace could be passed by the legislative body (council) to hire a city manager as opposed to electing a mayor.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jan 21 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 21 2009, 12:47 PM) *

... an ordinace could be passed by the legislative body (council) to hire a city manager as opposed to electing a mayor.

Now there's something I am sure is worth discussing.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 21 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 21 2009, 12:15 PM) *

SSider, I am concerned about the quality of that gov't; the smaller, more concentrated City Hall seems that the extant problems MC faces are even more tightly locked in that way because the new blood needed (and I think we all agree on that) gets shut out even more than it is now.

The thought of cronyism crossed my mind for sure. The other worry would be exactly how the new district lines would be drawn. In many other states, redistricting involves carving out a territory that will best benefit those in power, and punish those who are not. In the end to me services are more important than size of government. Its a tough choice to make, and will vary from individual to individual.

QUOTE(kharris @ Jan 21 2009, 12:47 PM) *

I know that things such as federal funding are tied to the population level, and realizing that class level is also based on population levels, I could only surmize that funding would be reduced if the move was mad from 2nd to 3rd class. That said, knowing that MC could remain 2nd class even though population levels have dropped makes me wonder whether funding has really been affected by the decrease in population.

But then it does seem to be a drastic measure to save, should I say, a mere $75,000. The same way I believed LaPorte could find a way to drop $300,000, I think it could even be easier for MC to drop the $75,000 reduced by this move.

And since I am sure everyone would like to hear my "real" opinion on this .... I truly believe that "streamlining" of this nature better suits to consolidate power than it does to reduce spending. Another note regarding 3rd class cities ... an ordinace could be passed by the legislative body (council) to hire a city manager as opposed to electing a mayor.

Your final point should also be on the table. That could also result in a nice cost reduction.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 21 2009, 01:36 PM
Post #20

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=20452

State of the City: Oberlie eyes streamlining

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Michigan City Mayor Chuck Oberlie made his case for streamlining and restructuring city government to lower costs of serving a reduced population in his 2009 state of the city address, "Reassessing, Rebuilding & Rejuvenating."

Oberlie told the city council and members of the audience Tuesday night that the city needs to "more aggressively assess our current department structure" to operate within the fiscal challenges resulting from state legislation capping property taxes.

Oberlie has asked city departments to come up with ways to cut spending by 10 percent. The city is looking to reduce annual operating costs by eliminating duplicate services, combining jobs and cutting down on the number of city owned or operated facilities, Oberlie said.

As an example of increasing efficiency, Oberlie mentioned the possibility of joining the Park Department and Port Authority into a single department. Other consolidations would be possible if Michigan City became a City of the 3rd Class. Michigan City's population decline since 1990 has not met the 35,000-resident minimum population for a City of the 2nd Class. A change in classification would allow the city to eliminate the positions of city clerk and city controller and replace them with an elected Clerk-Treasurer. And the city council would be made up of seven elected members, rather than the nine members now serving. Oberlie said these changes could be made in time for the 2011 city election.

"We must re-examine our city's governing structure," Oberlie said. "Specifically, I call upon the council to name a Citizen's Task Force to evaluate the conversion of our local government structure from that of a City of the 2nd Class to that of a City of the 3rd Class.

Oberlie said potential changes in the city structure could impact the city's boards and commissions, and he called for an administration-council team to evaluate all such these bodies, with an eye to reducing their size and number.

Oberlie said the most important partnership needed to move the city forward was the one between the city and the local school system. He pointed to the Early Learning Center and the Safe Harbor after-school learning program as examples of the partnership's successes. But, Oberlie said, local students need to be given the training needed to join the local workforce after graduation.

"Our partnership with the Michigan City Area Schools must include the successful attainment of the proposed Career and Technical Center," Oberlie said, to applause from the audience.

Most locally available jobs fall into the manufacturing sector, Oberlie said, and the ability to provide qualified workers is the key to convincing new companies to locate here. In a letter to the MCAS school board, Oberlie said, "The message from the managers and human resource directors from scores of Michigan City businesses is quite clear: any delay in meeting the career and vocational needs of our students is a serious threat to the viability of our city's future."
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:46 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com