Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...a1079531101.txt

Common Council candidate sues Metheny

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Sunday, March 6, 2011 5:02 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — A Common Council candidate has filed a lawsuit against a former Coolspring Township trustee for suggesting on a television program that the candidate uses illegal drugs.

Keith Devereaux, a candidate for an open Third Ward council seat, said he was shocked when he heard Dennis Metheny suggest Devereaux smokes "dope" on “News & Views,” a local cable access show.

Metheny accused members of a veterans’ organization he himself once belonged to, The Wall Gang, of drug use during a panel discussion on the upcoming council races.

“I would hope that Keith Devereaux doesn’t get it,” Metheny said during a January taping of the show. “I knew him when I was in The Wall Gang and there’s a few people there that smoke dope. The only reason I say that is because I know it, I seen them.”

Devereaux not only denied Metheny’s accusation, but said he’s active in anti-drug efforts in the city. Now he’s asking for unspecified damages, including the cost of the lawsuit, according to the complaint filed in La Porte County Superior Court 2 on Feb. 25.

Metheny “knew that the statement was not accurate, knew it would be published to viewers of the television program and knew it would cause damage to the plaintiff,” the complaint states.

Metheny said Saturday he wouldn’t comment on the lawsuit.

“I can’t comment,” he said. “It’s under a lawsuit now. If Devereaux wants to talk about it that’s fine. I just can’t talk about.”

“News & Views” producer Al Austin questioned whether Metheny’s comments crossed the line.

“He’s a political figure. He’s running for city council. He’s fair game,” Austin said of Devereaux.

Austin said that Metheny has been back on the show and that Devereaux will also be a guest at an upcoming taping.

“News & Views” is moderated by Councilman Phil Jankowski and features various guests.

Devereaux faces Ronald Hamilton Jr., Jacqueline Hendricks and Danny T. Brown in the May 3 Democratic primary. Councilman Ron Meer decided to vacate the seat to run for mayor.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:07 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com