Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49033.98

4/4/2008 10:19:00 AM
City Sets Controlled Burn For Washington Park

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - The city has scheduled a controlled burn in Washington Park sometime during April.

The burn is tentatively scheduled for April 14, weather permitting. The area to be burned is the wooded area adjacent to Fedder's Alley, between the parking lot and the beach.

Due to changing weather conditions the announcement of the controlled burn will occur only 24 hours in advance. City officials said notification will be given to the La Porte County Health Department, Michigan City Police Department and news media.

If conditions are unfavorable, the following week of April will be used.

Impact on daily traffic and citizens is considered minimal, according to city officials, however, they said it's important for motorists and residents to be aware of smoky conditions that could reduce visibility along streets in the area.

The purpose of the burn is to remove accumulated dead plant material and invasive and nuisance species such as buckthorn, poison ivy and tree of heaven. When completed, the burn is expected to promote the healthy growth of native plants.

The terrain and plant life on Fedder's Alley is similar to and in the Indiana National Lakeshore that is controlled with similar burns.

The fire will be conducted by Michigan City's urban forester Franklin Seilheimer in conjunction with Deputy Fire Chief Randy Novak and the Michigan City Fire Department.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 4 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

Considering such miscellanous things such as how nicely the greenery is coming in along the northern part of Franklin Street (err, it isn't), how efficient our Parks Department is administratively (after the girls' basketball and the sludge on the beach debacles, I wouldn't be surprised if the only person on duty for the Parks Dept. the day of the burn was someone who's had his drivers license revoked), and similar things, I'm glad my house is a mile and a half away from where this is happening. If I was any closer, I'd be reviewing my fire insurance policy.
+Quote Post
Upper Penn
post Apr 17 2008, 06:46 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 763

The burn looks great. Well looks great for anyone that understands how it should look. Big step in the right directions for our lakeshore.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 17 2008, 07:22 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Upper Penn @ Apr 17 2008, 07:46 AM) *

The burn looks great. Well looks great for anyone that understands how it should look. Big step in the right directions for our lakeshore.

Welcome to the site! cool.gif
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 17 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Upper Penn @ Apr 17 2008, 07:46 AM) *

I'm glad it worked out OK. Do you know if this is the sort of thing that should be done annually, every five years, every x years?

Welcome aboard the board, Upper Penn. Ye be a Yooper?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Apr 17 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 4 2008, 04:26 PM) *

If I was any closer, I'd be reviewing my fire insurance policy.

Don't worry. The Parks Department office is right there so I am sure they were patrolling it.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 17 2008, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Apr 17 2008, 08:49 PM) *

Don't worry. The Parks Department office is right there so I am sure they were patrolling it.

biggrin.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com