IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sullair lays off 41 employees, Spokesperson says the positions cut were primarily office positions
JHeath
post Nov 11 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41065.57

11/11/2008 11:00:00 AM
Sullair lays off 41 employees

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Air-compressor manufacturer Sullair Corp. has laid off 41 employees in Michigan City, company spokeswoman Linda McGee said Monday.

McGee said the changes had to be made in light of what the company described as "a period of national economic turmoil.

"We made a workforce adjustment to be competitive."

McGee also cited "lower volume expectations" as one of the causes for the layoffs.

The job cuts were announced to employees Thursday, the same day the cuts were put into effect. McGee said the positions cut were primarily office positions.

Sullair Corp. is owned by United Technologies, a division of Hamilton Sundstrand, a global company that designs and manufactures industrial and aerospace products.

Sullair specializes in air compressors for industrial use. The company also makes filters and air tools, including chipping hammers, rock drills, rivet busters and demolition tools.

Sullair, whose corporate headquarters is in Michigan City, has subsidiaries in France, China and Australia.

The company employs approximately 700 people.

Contact Joe Malan at jmalan@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 11 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

My Aunt worked for Sullair for many years in the office. She retired a few years ago. Glad they waited to do this. After 30-some odd years, that would really create a vacuum to be laid off.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 11 2008, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I wonder how many production people were shown the door?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
The_Mikester
post Nov 14 2008, 11:05 PM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 343

My dad worked there in the early '70's. It was supposed to be a good place to work. They had one of those six wheel things like the Banana Splits drove (nothing like a little bit of culture, eh?) that we would drive around there. I also remember an article in a magazine about Sullair that talked about how Sullair did not have the normal corporate culture. My mother tells me that work would stop on Friday afternoons and then the party would start.

Hoodsie (as my parents would call him) must have been a real maverick...
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 14 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 11 2008, 12:53 PM) *

My Aunt worked for Sullair for many years in the office. She retired a few years ago. Glad they waited to do this. After 30-some odd years, that would really create a vacuum to be laid off.

What was so odd about her years there, Ang?

biggrin.gif

I worked at Sullair for about a year around '76. I remember it was this mythical place to work with a tennis court and a pool. It was a good place to work. Tough for those who got canned.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 30 2009, 01:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=39831.56

Sullair makes 'small reduction' in workforce

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - A Hamilton Sundstrand official has confirmed more layoffs occurred Thursday at Sullair Corp., 3700 E. Michigan Blvd.

Dan Coulom, spokesman for Sullair's parent company, said the air compressor manufacturing company made a "relatively small reduction" in its workforce.

He said he couldn't release the number.

"It was part of the previously announced corporate reductions," Coulom said. "We announced earlier this year that 11,600 jobs would be shed in UTC."

UTC, or United Technologies Corp., is the parent company of Hamilton Sundstrand, which in turn is the parent company of Sullair.

"The reductions that we're seeing across the corporation are purely the result of the worldwide economic downturn," Coulom continued.

The company, he said, currently employs more than 500 individuals at the Michigan City plant.

John Regetz, executive director of the Michigan City Economic Development Corporation, said he had conducted a retention visit with a management team from Sullair in late November. Since then, he has had no direct contact with the company.

"Through the retention visits, we identify any challenges or opportunities we can address with the company," Regetz said.

But retention visits, which are done once every other year with a company, may not be enough in this economic climate, Regetz said.

"I'm sure the market is dictating what their staff level is," he said.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 3 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

More bad news...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=39744.39

50 more laid off at Sullair

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Sullair Corp., 3700 E. Michigan Blvd., laid off 50 workers on Tuesday as the economic downtown has continued to shrink market demand for air compressors.

The local company has experienced a series of layoffs since last November, when 41 employees were let go, and December, when another 54 jobs were cut. Additional employee layoffs occurred in April and May this year.

Dan Coulom, director of communication at Hamilton Sundstrand, Sullair's parent company, said the local layoffs were across all sectors of the manufacturing company. Coulom said Sullair still has approximately 500 employees.

Sullair and Hamilton Sundstrand are subsidiaries of United Technologies Corp., a diverse corporation that has been adversely affected in all of its divisions, Coulom said. UTC announced in March it would reduce its worldwide workforce by 5 percent this year.

"The recession in general is affecting all of us," he said. "We continue to reduce the work force to try to remain competitive."

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:34 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com