Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tom Fedder not seeking re-election as Clerk
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Another of the top City officials who are sitting out this election.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/1...de748537805.txt

City clerk won’t seek re-election

City Clerk Thomas Fedder (front left) and Deputy City Clerk Gale Neulieb listen during Tuesday night’s Common Council meeting. Photo by Matt Field
By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:12 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Longtime City Clerk Thomas Fedder announced Wednesday he won’t seek re-election next year, and the candidates hoping to replace him wasted no time in dishing out campaign rhetoric.

Having worked in the clerk’s office for more than five years, Deputy City Clerk Gale Neulieb can claim the mantle of experience.

However, Mike Dempsey, who lost to Fedder in 2007, criticized him for not working hard, or even showing up all the time.

“Gale’s the deputy clerk and she learned from Tom,” he said.

Neulieb wouldn’t comment on whether her boss shows up to work each day.

Fedder acknowledged not working as hard as he once did.

“No, I don’t anymore,” he said. “I don’t need to. But I’m on top of it, I know what’s going on with my deputies.”

He said he shows up every day.

Neulieb said she wouldn’t respond to Dempsey’s charges right away, choosing instead to focus on her announcement event Wednesday night. “I would like to enjoy my evening and announce and address those issues later,” she said.

Former Police Chief Ben Neitzel said Wednesday he hasn’t shut the door on a bid for the office.

Fedder will retire with much experience.

“I have served terms with four different mayors and eight common councils as city clerk,” he said in a press release. “I will leave behind what I think is one of the best staffed city clerk’s offices in the state.”

Common Councilwoman Angie Nelson, who announced months ago she won’t run for another term, is on Neulieb’s campaign team. In the release, she gave her candidate a ringing endorsement.

“Everyone who knows Gale understands that she is the best person for the job,” Nelson said. “She works tirelessly to ensure things get done.”

Dempsey, who works at WEFM, said he will still pick out the lineup for the lunchtime oldies show even if he’s elected.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 1 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #3

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...05820682344.txt

Ready for some relaxation

Former city clerk Tom Fedder gets a little help with his coat Friday from new clerk Gale Neulieb. Photo by Deborah Sederberg
Tom Fedder retires after 32 years in office
By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, December 31, 2011 5:07 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Tom Fedder is glad to see his deputy clerk taking his place as Michigan City’s elected city clerk.

After all, Fedder hired her as an assistant, then made her deputy clerk.

As for Fedder, he has decided that 32 years in office is long enough, and he’s looking forward to retirement.

Not only has Fedder held office for 32 years, but his father and grandfather before him served as mayors of the city.

His grandfather, Rheinhart Charles Fedder, was mayor from 1935 to 1938 and again from 1943 through 1947.

“His term was extended because of World War II,” Tom said. “That’s how it was for everyone holding an office in Indiana.”

His grandfather also served as Michigan Township trustee, a member of the Board of Works & Safety and as street superintendent.

Tom’s father, Francis Fedder, known to nearly everyone as Frannie Fedder, was mayor from 1956 to 1963.

With assistance from then-Common Councilman Roger McKee, Frannie Fedder successfully negotiated with NIPSCO, which turned Mount Baldy over to the city. The city has since given Mount Baldy to Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

A former basketball coach for Queen of All Saints School, Tom Fedder plans to spend some of his winter free time watching college basketball.

A fan of the University of Notre Dame, his father’s alma mater, he may venture to South Bend to see a few games as well.

Otherwise, he says, he has no big plans for travel or for any large projects.

“There will be plenty of time for that,” Fedder, 65, said.

For now, he plans some relaxation.

The clerk’s office is the official keeper of the city’s seal and records, ranging from Common Council and Board of Works minutes to records of ordinances and all correspondence and more. Pointing to a walk-in safe, Fedder said, “There are records in there from 1836.” The clerk also administers the oath of office to all city department heads.

Fedder said Neulieb and her assistant (now deputy clerk) Kim Sliwa brought a keen sense of organization to the office.

“Tom means a lot to me,” Neulieb said. Not only did he hire her, but he taught her all she knows about the job.

Fedder, Sliwa and Neulieb frequently chatted together about the antics of their individual dogs, Fedder’s Snowball, Neulieb’s Tug Boat and Sliwa’s Bootsie.

When Fedder’s birthday comes around in February, he plans to celebrate with his friends at the clerk’s office.

“I’ll do the cooking,” Neulieb said.

“I’ll be coming to visit,” Fedder said, even when it’s not his birthday.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:23 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com