Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 872-0711
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 5 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I called the title number, was SHOCKED to hear the recorded message that the number is not in operation any longer! This number is virtually synonymous with time and temperature in MC. Besides wearing a watch (annoying) and carrying a jacket all the time (irksome), what is a MC local phone system customer supposed to do?

If this is truly out of operation, it will mean a coupl' a generations' worth of history will get a recorded message instead of the T and T. A further note: The plane carrying Mr. Alinsky from the alarm company in town crashed some years ago at the strip formerly known as Meigs Field, and he died (RIP). His voice was on the recording for years afterward, if I have this right, because it was he on the recording as the sponsor.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 5 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I just tried it. Bummer!!!

That is so sad that such an icon is gone.

HEY ND!! What's up with that? Maybe you should do a story on what happened to it.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jul 5 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 5 2008, 02:41 PM) *

I just tried it. Bummer!!!

That is so sad that such an icon is gone.

HEY ND!! What's up with that? Maybe you should do a story on what happened to it.

That would take actual news gathering skills, which leaves our local fishwrap lacking.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 5 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 5 2008, 09:53 AM) *

I called the title number, was SHOCKED to hear the recorded message that the number is not in operation any longer! This number is virtually synonymous with time and temperature in MC. Besides wearing a watch (annoying) and carrying a jacket all the time (irksome), what is a MC local phone system customer supposed to do?

If this is truly out of operation, it will mean a coupl' a generations' worth of history will get a recorded message instead of the T and T. A further note: The plane carrying Mr. Alinsky from the alarm company in town crashed some years ago at the strip formerly known as Meigs Field, and he died (RIP). His voice was on the recording for years afterward, if I have this right, because it was he on the recording as the sponsor.

I think Paul's plane went into Lake Michigan after a mid-air collision - he was piloting it at the time - and I believe his brother's voice was heard on the 872-0711 number after he died.

I can't believe this is gone! I always list this when internet shopping because I don't live in the states - and even if I did I don't want some chump calling me. Once I actually had a vendor email me telling me he tried to call and got TNT - I'm like yeah - I don't want you to call me.

I'm sure we all know you could dial 872-07.... and then any two numbers in place of 1,1 and it would go through.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 5 2008, 07:27 PM
Post #5

I remember when you didn't have to dail the 87. You could call 20711, or my number was 97469. We had that number for 20 years till my folks moved out in the county and had a LaPorte number.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 5 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 5 2008, 07:27 PM) *

I remember when you didn't have to dail the 87. You could call 20711, or my number was 97469. We had that number for 20 years till my folks moved out in the county and had a LaPorte number.

I remember when the word "Triangle" was in place of the 87 - like the TNT number would have been Triangle 2-0711.

My parents moved into their house in '59 - and still have the same phone number. Easy to remember!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 7 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #7

You can tell people who grew up in MC and are of a certain age by how they give phone numbers: They drop the 87 and just give five digits. Of course, now with all the oddball prefixes (861-, for crying out loud!), that does not hold for all numbers, but even so...

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
januarygirl63
post Jul 7 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 784

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]
QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 5 2008, 08:27 PM) *

I remember the 5 digit numbers as well!! And do any of you remember when they changed the dial tone way back in the early 80s?? Took some time getting used to it.

I was shocked to hear that time and temperature is gone! What a shame! That was truly a part of MC history, to me! I think that may have been the first phone number I learned to dial! biggrin.gif I know I would occasionally dial the number, just to keep updated on MC once we moved here to Tennessee, but stopped calling it once we got the internet. Shame on the bigwigs that canned it!!!
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Jul 7 2008, 11:49 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 5 2008, 10:53 AM) *

Try 874-9999....
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 7 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(edgeywood @ Jul 7 2008, 12:49 PM) *

Try 874-9999....

Or 867-5309
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 7 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #11

Heck, I'll just look out the window.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 7 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 7 2008, 12:53 PM) *

Or 867-5309

...Wait a minute, that's my number. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Dan
post Jul 7 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 797

I feel truly sorry for the poor guy who gets 872-0711!

lol

Whenever ANY retailer asked for my home number, I always gave 'em 872-0711!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 7 2008, 04:36 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 7 2008, 12:41 PM) *

Heck, I'll just look out the window.

To see what time it is?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 8 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #15

My days are usually pretty full and I go from one thing to another; a watch is superfluous, as well as annoying to my skin.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 16 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 8 2008, 07:56 AM) *

My days are usually pretty full and I go from one thing to another; a watch is superfluous, as well as annoying to my skin.

To each his own. My life runs on way too tight a schedule to not wear a watch.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 16 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #17

Malcolm X said he could not trust a man who did not wear a watch, who held Time in such low regard. Me, it seems very self-indulgent.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 16 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #18

something about my body chemistry kills batteries. I can't wear one that is quartz and I always forget to wind a watch that is not. What I need is a self-winding watch. I've been so long without wearing one now I think it would drive me crazy if I did.

I use my cell phone to check the time if I feel I need to know the time.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 16 2008, 04:00 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 16 2008, 10:19 AM) *

Malcolm X said he could not trust a man who did not wear a watch, who held Time in such low regard. Me, it seems very self-indulgent.

It seems self-indulgent to know what time it is?

O----kay.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:38 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com