post Mar 1 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../28/news/n3.txt

MCAS board outlines preferences for calendar changes

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

Local schools began using what are commonly called “snow days” in August and now, six days have been lost to foul weather.

A severe thunderstorm in late August delayed the start of school by two days. In February, so far, snow and severe cold have been responsible for closing school for four more days.

The board of the Michigan City Area Schools on Tuesday took up a discussion on dealing with the lost instructional days.

The Indiana Department of Education requires a 180-instructional-day calendar. Schools that fail to meet that requisite suffer financially.

As the local calendar now stands, graduation is scheduled for June 10 and summer vacation is to begin on June 6.

“The calendar is a negotiated document,” Michael Harding, superintendent of schools, told the board.

The administration has had discussions with the Michigan City Education Association, the teachers union, Harding said.

Although the matter is still subject to negotiation, the board expressed its preference for meeting state requirements: A staff development day, scheduled for March 12, would become an instructional day with students required to attend. In addition, April 9 (the day after Easter) and Memorial Day (May 28) would be instructional days, and school would be in session June 6, 7 and 8, with summer vacation for students beginning on June 11. June 11 would become a staff development day for teachers.

Graduation would remain on June 10.

If the teachers agree and no more blizzards, ice storms or severe thunderstorms with power outages require the closing of schools, that's how the board hopes to resolve the issue.

Contact reporter Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Mar 1 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

This article brings into the light a major failing of mcas. Notice the focus on meeting the absolute minimum standard. If their vision sharply focused on minimums, it explains the lack of improvement. Look UP, MCAS, quit focusing on the MINIMUM anything. A teacher would understand that it is just like when the kids in the class focus on the minimum, asking, "Do we need to know this for the test?"

Minimum, minimum, minimum: Its starting to sound funny, isn't it?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 1 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

What exactly are the "bank days" for that all of the elementary students have so often? I thought that somehow, those would be factored into this equation.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 1 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

You know, I'm not really sure what bank days are--and I worked for the MCAS!! I think they are days for the Teachers to get continuing education. Continuing Ed is a requirement for all teachers to maintain their license and it is something they have to do on their own. The school corp factors free time for them into the school calendar so they can do this. The time is not paid and does not count toward their instructional time. I believe the MCEA had this "bank time" as part of their contract--but I could be wrong. It was explained to me once, but my memory is kind of foggy on it. Anyway, bank days cannot be changed to instructional days because the MCEA would be all over it crying fowl--if my description is correct.

Bioteach, can you explain this better, or is my answer accurate?

This post has been edited by Ang: Mar 1 2007, 10:35 AM

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 1 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #5

I do know that these are days where the kids are in session, but they leave early, and the end of the day usually ends up being meetings and the like.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 6 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #6

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../06/news/n6.txt

Makeup days set

From Staff Reports

The Michigan City Area Schools and Michigan City Education Association announced Monday they reached an agreement and adopted the following schedule for makeup days:

€ School will be in session Monday, March 12, originally scheduled as a Professional Development Day.

€ School will be in session on Monday, April 9, originally scheduled as Easter Monday.

€ School will be in session Monday, May 28, the Memorial Day observance.

€ School will be in session Wednesday, June 6, originally scheduled as the first day of summer vacation.

€ School will be in session Thursday, June 7.

€ School will be in session Friday, June 8.

The last day for students will be Friday, June 8, and the last day for teachers will be Monday, June 11.

Michigan City High School graduation ceremonies will be Sunday, June 10, as originally scheduled.

+Quote Post
BioTeach
post Mar 9 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #7

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 6 2007, 10:54 AM) *

Ang...sorry I have not had time to post for awhile.

Bank Days are days in which teachers attend meetings for professional development during the last two hours of the school day. The time for these meetings comes from time that is banked during normal school days. A couple extra minutes were added to each school day so that it could be banked for these Bank Days. This is not time for teachers to use for lesson planning, grading or to just leave early. These are days planned by the Professional Development Committee of each school. The goal is to not have to take an entire day out of a school week and to therefore disrupt the cohesiveness of the students' educational time. All classes meet, they are just shortened for these days.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 9 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(BioTeach @ Mar 9 2007, 01:33 PM) *

Ang...sorry I have not had time to post for awhile.

Bank Days are days in which teachers attend meetings for professional development during the last two hours of the school day. The time for these meetings comes from time that is banked during normal school days. A couple extra minutes were added to each school day so that it could be banked for these Bank Days. This is not time for teachers to use for lesson planning, grading or to just leave early. These are days planned by the Professional Development Committee of each school. The goal is to not have to take an entire day out of a school week and to therefore disrupt the cohesiveness of the students' educational time. All classes meet, they are just shortened for these days.

I knew it was for professional development, I just wasn't sure how the days were arranged. I hope that helps to answer Jenny's question.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 9 2007, 11:51 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Absolutely. Thanks, Ang and BioTeach. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 19 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #10

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../18/news/n1.txt

Make up day alternatives discussed
By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

Neither tornadoes nor blizzards hold any respect for graduation days or national holidays - even the ones to honor fallen heroes.

The Michigan City Area Schools Board's plan to use Memorial Day as one of six make-up days because of severe weather has drawn fire from the community. Some who have written to The Anvil Chorus say expecting students to be in school on Memorial Day is disrespectful toward veterans.

Others have said they would rather see students in school on Good Friday, a religious holy day for Christians, but not a patriotic holiday.

Alternate options such as delaying graduation day come with their own set of issues.

In Westville, graduation day has been moved from June 1 to June 8.

Westville Superintendent Richard Cook knows that decision will cause some inconveniences.

“Fortunately, the company that prints our graduation announcements has agreed to print an enclosure” to indicate the new graduation date.

Cook, who formerly served as an assistant superintendent for Michigan City, said he would never criticize another school corporation's decision on this matter. “Really, there's no good way to do it.”

Jeff Jones, president of the MCAS board, said the board did not set the calendar, adding that Superintendent Michael Harding asked for support of one of two plans negotiated with teachers.

“But I'll tell you, as a parent, I would rather have my children in school on a holiday - and I know this holiday means something - than out in dangerous weather trying to get to school,” he said.

Board member Clyde Zeek concedes that he did not read the two plans carefully enough before making a motion to adopt the one that included Memorial Day.

Zeek, who has been hospitalized for surgery in recent weeks, said Friday, “I'm afraid I just didn't read it thoroughly before making the motion.”

Zeek indicated that he hopes the board can work out something so school isn't held on Memorial Day “ ... without affecting graduation.”

Zeek said he always respects the holidays that honor veterans. “Besides, the high school band, the ROTC, the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts always take part in Memorial Day ceremonies.”

Board member Kathy Lee favors a change that would put students in school on Good Friday. Like Zeek, she said she is thinking about members of the Michigan City High School Marching Band, ROTC and the scouts who participate on Memorial Day.

“I know I don't want graduation to change,” she said. “I have a senior and she does have to go (to her college) early in the summer to get some of her advanced placement classes.”

The Good Friday option appeals to board member Beryle Burgwald as well, “with the understanding that students who want to attend services will be released,” he added.

In MCAS, the calendar is a negotiated item with the Michigan City Education Association. In Westville, although the Westville Teachers Association negotiates for wages, benefits and other items, the calendar is not a negotiable issue, Cook said.

Randy Hansen, a retired science teacher who was active with the union when he was teaching, said he wonders whether the administration negotiated effectively with the union over this matter.

As a veteran who served in Korea from 1966 to 1969, Hansen said he is always touched by Memorial Day ceremonies and he can't help but think about those who have died in wars.

Board member Nate Gipson also regrets that students might be in school on Memorial Day. “But I've got to say, we don't make the weather.”

As it stands, three days have been added to the end of the year, plus Memorial Day. Easter Monday will be another make-up day and one day was made up last Monday, which had been scheduled as a staff development day.

Although some parents have said they would keep their children home from school on Memorial Day, C. Justice, wife of Tom Justice, who wrote to The Anvil Chorus, said her son is working on a perfect attendance record this school year and he won't want to ruin that. She usually takes her children to the ceremony at Greenwood Cemetery and then they often spend the day with extended family at a picnic.

Her brother was killed in an auto accident in the fog recently, and Justice said this Memorial Day was to be particularly poignant for her family. “My brother wasn't in the service, but for a lot of people, Memorial Day is also a day for remembering deceased family members,” she said.

Gipson said he understands that some families have made plans and reservations for trips during spring break or at the end of the school year or even for Memorial Day weekend.

Before the scheduled make up day for Easter Monday, even those who are not Christians or not religious might have been planning a four-day long weekend getaway. “There's no way to please everybody,” he said.

Jim Kintzele, vice president of the school board, opposes scheduling classes for Memorial Day. “I think we ought to make a change,” he said.

A professional musician, board member Rick Carlson always plays his trumpet for Memorial Day ceremonies and he holds them dear to his heart. On the other hand, he said, there doesn't seem to be a perfect solution for making up days. “If students have to be in school for Memorial Day, I hope we can make lemonade out of a lemon. I hope we can at least spend some time teaching our students about the sacrifices made by veterans.”

None of the area school corporations - LaPorte, Westville, New Prairie or South Central - this year are requiring students to go to school on Memorial Day. Duneland School Corp. has not made a decision about make up days.

Hansen recalls that LaPorte usually has school on Veterans Day, “but they take the students down to the Civic Auditorium for Veterans Day programs.” Like Carlson, he hopes that if MCAS students indeed do attend school on Memorial Day, they will spend some times learning about the experiences of veterans.

Contact reporter Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 12 2007, 08:33 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Has anyone heard if the MCAS will or will not have school on Memorial Day yet for certain?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 12 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #12

No update has been given to teachers yet. It sounds like they are going to try to change that, but nothing "official" has been said yet. I'll post it when I hear something.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 23 2007, 05:53 AM
Post #13

I did hear that LaPorte was able to successfully appeal one of the days that was lost to the August storms, so that they won't have to make it up. Because of that the MCAS has also filed an appeal, and is trying to get back the day that would have them going to school on Memorial Day.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:57 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com