> 2012 Michigan City Pop Warner Thread, The Legend Continues
taxthedeer
post Jul 29 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Practice begins this Wednesday.

Michigan City will not field a Jr. Midget Team this year.

I've been told that if they want to play football this season some of our City boys will have to travel and play for Valpo.

I also understand that many members of last years Michigan City Jr. Midget cheer team has already made the varsity cheerleading squad at the high school as incoming freshmen.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 29 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 29 2012, 11:23 AM) *

Why no Junior Midget team? Really, travel to Valpo instead of playing football at the Jr. High School? Isn't it time that the kids step up and play big boy football and work to turnaround the High School program. How many years have they had a good team or two in Pop Warner and it just doesn't translate at the next level. I think we need to look at a different alternative to Pop Warner, like Rocket Football.

Jr. High School plays a very limited schedule.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 1 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,114

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 29 2012, 04:43 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 29 2012, 11:23 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Why no Junior Midget team? Really, travel to Valpo instead of playing football at the Jr. High School? Isn't it time that the kids step up and play big boy football and work to turnaround the High School program. How many years have they had a good team or two in Pop Warner and it just doesn't translate at the next level. I think we need to look at a different alternative to Pop Warner, like Rocket Football.

Jr. High School plays a very limited schedule.

I know the schedule last year was limited. However they need players and coaches. Why can't these individuals step up and make the leep to help a struggling middle school program be the best it can be? Pop Warner should not go past 6th grade. The private school kids should be playing in the middle school program too. We have the ability to improve the problem---all of us want the best for the kids and the football program. So what is the problem??
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 2 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Aug 1 2012, 09:26 AM) *

I know the schedule last year was limited. However they need players and coaches. Why can't these individuals step up and make the leep to help a struggling middle school program be the best it can be? Pop Warner should not go past 6th grade. The private school kids should be playing in the middle school program too. We have the ability to improve the problem---all of us want the best for the kids and the football program. So what is the problem??
Considering how successful our Michigan City boys have been and how talented they are they should go from Pop Warner head straight to the NFL as far as I'm concerned. biggrin.gif. Seriuosly, I just see it no differently as a group of players whose franchise has gone defunct and having their contracts bought out by a different different organization.
+Quote Post
Fancy Nancy
post Aug 3 2012, 04:01 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,120

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Aug 2 2012, 02:53 PM) *

We will see how the Pop Warner success translates over to the high school this year as we have players on this year's team that were State Champs in their Pop Warner careers. I would expect nothing less than a Regional Championship with an appearnace in the Semi-state round.

True the State Champs are Junior and some seniors, but I would like a head count how many really are still playing at Michigan City High School! How many are on the the line? 3 words! Strike Football League, maybe then we can talk down state! Have seem the team practices this year, the boys have the guts, hope we have strength to hold the line! Go M.C.! Hope we do make it down to Indy!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 4 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

We will see how the Pop Warner success translates over to the high school this year as we have players on this year's team that were State Champs in their Pop Warner careers. I would expect nothing less than a Regional Championship with an appearnace in the Semi-state round.

Maybe next season when class 5A splits in half.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 5 2012, 06:34 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Our Michgan City boys have decided to play for the Gary Steelers Jr. Midget team not Valpo.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Aug 5 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 5 2012, 07:34 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Aug 2 2012, 02:53 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Our Michgan City boys have decided to play for the Gary Steelers Jr. Midget team not Valpo.

Too bad Micgigan City boys can't play in MC. What has happened to this once fantastic group? Have kids quit, moved, found other interests? Are some of them now too big to play Pop Warner and are now at the Junior High School? I hope we didn't weed out too many kids to win a championship now we don't have enough bodies to put a team together. I was looking forward to a very bright future I hope nothing derails that dream.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 6 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Too bad Micgigan City boys can't play in MC. What has happened to this once fantastic group? Have kids quit, moved, found other interests? Are some of them now too big to play Pop Warner and are now at the Junior High School? I hope we didn't weed out too many kids to win a championship now we don't have enough bodies to put a team together. I was looking forward to a very bright future I hope nothing derails that dream.
Unfortunately, they cannot play for Michigan City this year. No they didn't quit, they are loading our boys up in the Escalade every day and hauling them over to West Side High every day for practice so they can have a team to play football this year. No they did not move, they live and attend school in Michigan City, no they are still playing football. No they not too big or too old to play Pop warner, Yes they attend Junior High School. Nobody has been "weeded out". You can expect them to have a bright future and the dream is still very much alive.
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Aug 7 2012, 11:38 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 980

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 6 2012, 11:07 AM) *

Unfortunately, they cannot play for Michigan City this year. No they didn't quit, they are loading our boys up in the Escalade every day and hauling them over to West Side High every day for practice so they can have a team to play football this year. No they did not move, they live and attend school in Michigan City, no they are still playing football. No they not too big or too old to play Pop warner, Yes they attend Junior High School. Nobody has been "weeded out". You can expect them to have a bright future and the dream is still very much alive.

If they are at the Jr. High, then why aren't they playing for the Jr. High? It would seem to be hard to have a "Feeder System" if you have noone at the feeder system. I know it has been brought up before about the number of games, but if you don't have the players there, how can you schedule games? Sounds like people want to see the middle school system fail for what ever the reasons. I hope that I am wrong on that one, but to take kids from this community to play (Pop Warner) in another town and call that organization (Pop Warner) your feeder system is totaly wrong... Are we a Feeder System for Gary or Michigan City...
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 8 2012, 06:20 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(backwoods @ Aug 7 2012, 12:38 PM) *

If they are at the Jr. High, then why aren't they playing for the Jr. High? It would seem to be hard to have a "Feeder System" if you have noone at the feeder system. I know it has been brought up before about the number of games, but if you don't have the players there, how can you schedule games? Sounds like people want to see the middle school system fail for what ever the reasons. I hope that I am wrong on that one, but to take kids from this community to play (Pop Warner) in another town and call that organization (Pop Warner) your feeder system is totaly wrong... Are we a Feeder System for Gary or Michigan City...
They boys that are playing are Gary are a group cousins that still want to play together for one more year together and one of the boys dad/uncle gong to be their coach.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 10 2012, 06:46 AM
Post #12

[size=6]
QUOTE(backwoods @ Aug 7 2012, 11:38 AM) *

I'm sorry but if these kids are 12 years old and/or in 6th grade they should be playing at the middle school level. 25 years ago MC was able to field three middle school teams--now some of their games were against each other and I think this is where many people are confused about the lack of games at the middle school level. From three years ago LaPorte was showing concern for the same reasons that their middle school team numbers were shrinking. Hmmm could it be because they also live in an area that Pop Warner is supported?? As far as these kids wanting to play together one last year?? If they all attend MC then they would be playing together. Why would they not?? I had asked if the coach promoting this was the coach of last years team that won the Championship and I was told no. So what is the point then? If these kids are so talented--which they are obviously good players--why not bring them to the middle school and make MC football the same successful team that Pop Warner has produced--are they not the city feeder system? I'm sorry but they will have to play HS football somewhere in their career if they want to play in college. Can someone from Pop Warner give us the numbers of Varsity players that even played Pop warner? Are these kids that won a National? or Regional? Thanks and GO WOLVES!!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 10 2012, 07:01 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Aug 10 2012, 07:46 AM) *

[size=6]

I'm sorry but if these kids are 12 years old and/or in 6th grade they should be playing at the middle school level. 25 years ago MC was able to field three middle school teams--now some of their games were against each other and I think this is where many people are confused about the lack of games at the middle school level. From three years ago LaPorte was showing concern for the same reasons that their middle school team numbers were shrinking. Hmmm could it be because they also live in an area that Pop Warner is supported?? As far as these kids wanting to play together one last year?? If they all attend MC then they would be playing together. Why would they not?? I had asked if the coach promoting this was the coach of last years team that won the Championship and I was told no. So what is the point then? If these kids are so talented--which they are obviously good players--why not bring them to the middle school and make MC football the same successful team that Pop Warner has produced--are they not the city feeder system? I'm sorry but they will have to play HS football somewhere in their career if they want to play in college. Can someone from Pop Warner give us the numbers of Varsity players that even played Pop warner? Are these kids that won a National? or Regional? Thanks and GO WOLVES!!
All the boys playing in Gary has played in Florida at least once. One has played in Florida three times.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 10 2012, 07:13 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 10 2012, 07:01 AM) *

All the boys playing in Gary has played in Florida at least once. One has played in Florida three times.

Is it the same coach ?? How old are these kids? I'm also curious is it that the kids are that coachable that anyone can coach them and win or is it a talented coach that can take any group of kids and win? Get what I'm saying? Also does anyone know the number of the kids at the high school level that are original Pop Warner players?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 10 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #15

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

MS are you connected to one of the programs? Has the level of cooperation improved with Coach Karp taking over?

It is too bad really. If you look in any other community these programs are feeders for the big team. They run the same players, teach the same techniques etc. By the time the kids get to HS, they are ready to go. City has never had that, and it hurts them.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 10 2012, 07:29 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Aug 10 2012, 07:14 AM) *

MS are you connected to one of the programs? Has the level of cooperation improved with Coach Karp taking over?

It is too bad really. If you look in any other community these programs are feeders for the big team. They run the same players, teach the same techniques etc. By the time the kids get to HS, they are ready to go. City has never had that, and it hurts them.

No I'm here reading what people keep talking about and for the last 2 years there seems to be an increase in the City program dissolving but I have also heard that Pop Warner has had a decrease in their numbers. Trying to figure out what the real problem is here so that someone can change things for the better. It is easy to point fingers and blame one or the other. I'm trying to determine if this team playing in gary even influences what goes on here in MC. Does Pop Warner field enough teams of middle school age to really make a difference to any city program--state wide. Is there a lack of communication between the two and if there is, why is this happening? There was a city program for a feeder before Pop Warner----did it help any?
+Quote Post
Bryce
post Aug 10 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,191

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Aug 10 2012, 08:29 AM) *

No I'm here reading what people keep talking about and for the last 2 years there seems to be an increase in the City program dissolving but I have also heard that Pop Warner has had a decrease in their numbers. Trying to figure out what the real problem is here so that someone can change things for the better. It is easy to point fingers and blame one or the other. I'm trying to determine if this team playing in gary even influences what goes on here in MC. Does Pop Warner field enough teams of middle school age to really make a difference to any city program--state wide. Is there a lack of communication between the two and if there is, why is this happening? There was a city program for a feeder before Pop Warner----did it help any?

The middle School only offers three games per squad; 7th graders get (3) and 8th graders get (3) and this is why most of the middle school football kids that formerly played Pop Warner opted to play in Gary.

There was not enough kids in Michigan City Junior Midget (12/13 years old) to form a team, so they decided to form a team in Gary which was also low in numbers. There are some other dynamics involved too.

Several players from MC have been to the Pop Warner National Championships the last 3 years; some once, several twice and a few three times. This represents about half of the Gary Junior Midget team.

They will be going again this year!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 11 2012, 05:17 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Bryce @ Aug 10 2012, 08:38 PM) *

The middle School only offers three games per squad; 7th graders get (3) and 8th graders get (3) and this is why most of the middle school football kids that formerly played Pop Warner opted to play in Gary.

There was not enough kids in Michigan City Junior Midget (12/13 years old) to form a team, so they decided to form a team in Gary which was also low in numbers. There are some other dynamics involved too.

Several players from MC have been to the Pop Warner National Championships the last 3 years; some once, several twice and a few three times. This represents about half of the Gary Junior Midget team.

They will be going again this year!
Thanks Bryce, I think it's great that Gary has accepted our boys to join them. Have a great season.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 21 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Three games at Elston this Sunday:

JPW D2 Sun 10:30 a vs Southlake_JPW
JPW Sun 12:00 p vs South County_JPW
PW D2 Sun 1:30 p vs Northlake_PW
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 26 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 21 2012, 06:57 PM) *

Three games at Elston this Sunday:
JPW D2 Sun 10:30 a vs Southlake_JPW
JPW Sun 12:00 p vs South County_JPW
PW D2 Sun 1:30 p vs Northlake_PW

MC D2 JR. PEE WEE 13
Southlake 6

MC D3 Jr. Pee Wee 19
South County 0

MC Pee Wees 24
Northlake 0
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:50 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com