Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boys soccer wins sectional, on to regional
Southsider2k12
post Oct 12 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Congrats to Coach Stahl and the whole squad!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=5326

Wolves Amped For First Regional Appearance

Nick Dettmann
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Coach Bruce Stahl can't help but get excited about his team's success so far this season.

This season, the Michigan City Wolves boys soccer team has won 12 games, scored 59 goals, allowed just 18 goals and recorded eight shutouts - all school records.

The accolades don't end there.

On Saturday night, the Wolves defeated La Porte to win the La Porte Sectional - another first in school history. But Stahl said the success this year will not be a one-year wonder, because the junior varsity team also won a school-record number of games, and the freshman program is on the rise.

"It's been a great year," Stahl said. "Things are looking up and I'm excited about it."

The Wolves will continue their historical and magical season when they play the Chesterton Trojans in the Valparaiso Regional today at 6:30 p.m.. Culver Academies (6-12 overall) and Kankakee Valley (11-6-1) will play at 4:30 p.m. in the other regional semifinal.

Getting to the regional is very rewarding for the Wolves, after falling a game short last season. Marquette beat City in the sectional championship game last season.

"We've been waiting for this ever since last year," City's Ryan Criner said after Saturday's victory over the Slicers. "This is the one thing we've wanted the entire season and it finally happened."

Stahl, who is in his fifth year with the program, and the program have come a long way. The record proves just that. The Wolves, who enter the regional 12-4-2, are 47-33-8 during Stahl's tenure.

"There's only 64 teams left," Stahl said. "That's kind of cool. We're one of the 64 teams left in the state. Hopefully this year will be something to feed on for next year.

"Now they know the atmsophere and how it feels to win."

The Wolves have had a chance to taste that feeling a lot recently.

Since a 2-0 loss to Portage on Sept. 5, the Wolves have lost just one time - a span of 11 games. The only loss was a 5-4 loss to Crown Point on Sept. 26. But the Wolves have won four straight since then, including a 2-1 victory over regional foe Chesterton (13-4-1) on Oct. 1, who will enter as the 16th-ranked team in the state coaches poll.

Stahl feels good about his squad's chances.

"Everytime I cross the white line," Stahl said. "I think we can win every game. Our program has gotten better. ... I think they're ready. ... It's fun to go into a game knowing you can be competitive."

One of the big reasons for the Wolves' success this season has been the defense.

With senior Damian Marciniak playing strong in goal, and with defenders such as Matt Kniola, Craig Fettig, Hyung Bin Kim anchoring the defensive back line, the Wolves defense is one of the best in the area. In the past four games, City has allowed just one goal.

The offense has been equally impressive, scoring 13 goals in the past four games. Jacob Mallon, Spencer Stahl, Criner and Mark Thalmann have been the big goal scorers for the Wolves. But their attack is balanced with 15 different players finding the back of the net at least once this season.

"The whole team is playing well," Bruce Stahl said.

In the last meeting between City and Chesterton, the Trojans dominated possession, out-shooting the Wolves 19-5. But not many of the 19 shots actually got on goal or were quality scoring chances because of a collapsing defense. Plus having an opportunistic offense doesn't hurt.

"Chesterton is a great team, but I plan to beat them," Stahl added. "It's fun to know where we're at."

Contact sports writer Nick Dettmann at ndettmann@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 12 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Bruce Stahl deserves his day. He's worked very hard to bring the boys soccer team to victory. He's had some very rough roads to travel but his perserverance has finally paid off!! I'm proud of him and his team and hope they can put another trophy in the Wolves Den!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 12 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Congrats to the Wolves Soccer team! Ajob job well done, and a victory well deserved.

On another note, I know both Damian Marciniak and Matt Kniola. Both are wonderful...their families should be proud of them!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:00 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com