Tim
post Jul 7 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Check the reader comments in this ND story -

Prosecutor's Office says Skibins will not face criminal action

Note the ND is not allowing comment on the recent story about retaliation against the police dept.

Many citizens are calling for Mr. Scully to step down as director of the NAACP. When told that Officer Skibins would not face charges for shooting a criminal in self defense he said this -

Wes Scully, president of the NAACP, said, "wow," after being read the statement from the prosecutor's office. "Basically, it's OK to shoot anyone in the back, even for a routine traffic violation," he said. "That's just not right."

Today's article features Mayor Meer's response -

"I want to emphasize that this was anything but a routine traffic stop" that led to the police action shooting, Meer said, referring to comments made by Scully about the prosecutor's office decision on Thursday. In a Thursday interview, Scully said "Basically it's OK to shoot anyone in the back, even for a routine traffic violation. That's just not right."

Meer responded, "The individual not only was running from police but unlawfully entered a domicile and then wrestles with a police officer for the officer's firearm. It wasn't a routine stop."

At the point Mr. Scully could have manned up and admitted he misspoke. He said nothing.

There is NO evidence to support the theory that this shooting was racially motivated. For Mr. Scully to try to paint it in that light is reprehensible. It also reveals him to be guilty of the very racial profiling he keeps complaining about. Like, if the police officer was white and the criminal was black it MUST be due to racial profiling.

It's a crock. I join the chorus of the citizens of Our Fair City and ask that Mr. Scully graciously step down as director of the NAACP. I'd go as far to say that the threats of retaliation against the police dept. this weekend are in some percentage a direct response to Mr. Scully's "routine traffic stop" comment.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 7 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Our citizens speak:

JD wrote on Jul 6, 2012 5:44 PM:
" What is Sherrods story. Seems all we hear are the organizations in Mi. City concerns, police statements as well as investigative results! Guess we have to wait for a trial to really get to the bottom of the back shot huh! Sherrod and his lawyer will no doubt tell us! "

wow wrote on Jul 6, 2012 9:52 PM:
" To Mr. Wes Scully, when did it become OK to run from a routine traffic stop twice in less then a week, try to hide from the police, get into a scuffle with the police and then play victim? You were also the first (and only) person to try and stir up racial issues after a black parent knocked out a white coach at St. Stans. It seems to me like you are keeping racial issues a topic in MC instead of moving ahead. No one wanted to see this young man get shot, but here's an idea, DON'T run from the police, espically after you just did it 2 days before this! And no one wanted to see an innocent coach get knocked out, but you are the first one to step up and put the blame on someone else. Why not step up (or step down) so we can just come together as a city to make sure things like this don't happen, instead of pointing fingers at the first white person that was at the scene when something goes wrong. "

To JD wrote on Jul 6, 2012 10:00 PM:
" YUP, that's what happens when you're a criminal that runs from the police and then engages in a fight with and officer and then breaks in to a house. Yup, they gotta sit and wait, just like they should. "

McElder wrote on Jul 6, 2012 11:02 PM:
" When parents teaches their kids to violate the law, blame others for their problems and lack of success in life and demand that society is responsible for their misdeeds then your get a future generation of non productive members of society who take from others because they are told that they are entitled to others life, liberty and pursiuts of happiness. Go back and look at Michigan City every ten years for the last one hundred years and you will see how MC has progressed and then degenerated over the last 40 years. WHY??? How would you feel if you earned $ 20 dollars an hour and someone else said that they are entitlemed your your hard earned money because they do not want to work as hard as you?? I have never been in my 70 years been entiled or eligible for benefits as the rich or poor receive today. I am a middle class citizen that have support the lazy poor in general or the arrogant rich union members. Where are my benefits for supporting society?? If there is any one who is discriminated it is the middle class in general. Wes Scully you owe people of Michihan City an apology for encouraging racism. Shame on you!! You should know better. Be a real role model rather than an opportunist. And I am not a White person. "

morgan wrote on Jul 7, 2012 2:19 AM:
" Does Mr. Skully even know what the NAACP stands for? He seems to be doing the opposite of advancement. There was nothing routine about the traffic stop. A routine traffic stop is you pull someone over and gather their info and cite them, warn them and let them go. Nothing is routine when someone runs or attempts to harm a police officer. Not to mention commiting more crimes while being pursued by a police officer. "

To Wes Scully wrote on Jul 7, 2012 5:55 AM:
" This young man was a criminal with a record. He tried to steal a police officer's gun. What do you think the intent of that crime was? There's every chance this young criminal intended to shoot the police officer. You act in that manner, you get shot. Regarding your "code of justice" does that include breaking the law and trying to steal a cop's gun? This was never about race. It was about a criminal breaking the law. "

And no - wrote on Jul 7, 2012 5:57 AM:
" The criminal wasn't shot for "a routine traffic violation". He was shot because he tried to steal a gun. Nice attempt at skewing the fat to support your sad cause. "

Gb wrote on Jul 7, 2012 6:04 AM:
" What if he had a gun?..you think maybe he would shoot at the police. "

richard wrote on Jul 7, 2012 6:37 AM:
" i presume jesse jackson and al sharpton won't be coming to town. thank you to the m.c. police for getting a CRIMINAL off the streets before he hurt somebody. "

wow wrote on Jul 7, 2012 6:54 AM:
" very nicely said! Racism, unfortunately does exist, but this isn't it, and it seems like most of the situations Mr. Scully takes on also are not it. Mr. Scully appears to be the racist....he does not like white people!! We do need to come together as ONE community! Thankfully this officer did not have to suffer for doing his JOB!! "

Happy wrote on Jul 7, 2012 7:24 AM:
" Very glad about the out come if a police officer can not do his job or defend him or herself lets just let all of this type of criminals just run the streets and do as they wish or let someone like Mr Scully tell them when they should behave ! "

To Wes wrote on Jul 7, 2012 7:59 AM:
" It wasn't a 'routine traffic violation! Sherrod went for the policeman's GUN! That is not routine. As "wow" said, stop trying to stir up hatred. That's not your job.

It was 1:56am on Ninth Street and a gun was found in the car. How do you explain that, Wes? And how do you explain why Sherrod ran? What was he running from?

Wes, you are doing a disservice to the NAACP with your statements. "

Non Sequitur wrote on Jul 7, 2012 8:23 AM:
" And now, MCPD is asking for additional police assistance during the fireworks display.

Why? One may ask...

I personally think that the additional police presence is due directly to some (if not all) of Mr. Scully's comments in the media.

I think Mr. Scully should receive the full bill for the paid overtime for the additional officers. His rhetoric has been directly responsible for inflaming a portion of our community.

I recall a statement from one of our previous US Presidents: "It is a far better thing to be a fool and keep one's mouth shut, than open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Food for thought. "

Really wrote on Jul 7, 2012 8:50 AM:
" Yeah Wes, nevermind the fact that he ran from the officer, and fought with the officer over his weapon. He put the officer's life in danger as soon as he went for his gun. The officer had to do what was best to ensure his own safety. I don't even WANT to think about what would have happened if Daniel Sherrod Jr. would have gotten a hold on that weapon! Would you still be here making a statement? Probably, but it would be more of a "well, the officer shoudn't have chased him, he should have let him go, the charge wasn't that severe to chase him" right?? "

PEACE wrote on Jul 7, 2012 9:44 AM:
" I would encourage all of you and your friends and family to reach out the the NAACP National Headquarters to have Mr. Wes Scully removed from his position as he is intent with inciting racial tension and divide, I doubt even Jesse Jackson or Rev. Sharpton would have stooped this low! "

perhaps wrote on Jul 7, 2012 10:15 AM:
" the NAACP needs to look for another spokesperson. Clearly Mr. Scully does this organization more harm than good. The NAACP is a necessary organization and needs to have level-headed, educated, non-racist individuals leading it.

As I recall, in another black/white incident, Mr. Scully used his status of the NAACP and his ignorant ranting. I remember black folks real upset with him and even publically stated that he (Mr. Scully) is not the voice of the NAACP.

Looks like another one of these instances where Mr. Scully really ought to have examined the situation a little better. "

grateful wrote on Jul 7, 2012 3:21 PM:
" Is Mr. Scully condoning the behavior of a criminal (Sherrod) because he is black? That's what it sounds like to me. This clearly WAS NOT a routine anything. Sherrod is a criminal and if the same thing had happened with a white guy, the NAACP wouldn't care or see anything wrong with it. He's black so it's a racial issue instead of a criminal behavior one. If he had been shot somewhere else, would it have been okay? Doubt it. Same thing would be happening right now..."the police shot a black guy" not "the police took down a criminal." In the midst of a STRUGGLE, the guy got shot in the back. I don't have a problem with it. I do agree that the NAACP needs to replace him with someone that will deal with the source of the problem instead of the result. Work on preventing people from becoming criminals instead of blaming someone else when they get themselves in trouble. "

thisiscrazy wrote on Jul 7, 2012 3:30 PM:
" I am a young black African American 28 to be exact I owe a firearm & if someone was tryn to fight with me to take my firearm I would do what I have to in order to save my life this officer did a good job protecting himself "

Color wrote on Jul 7, 2012 4:26 PM:
" Really? Why is it always about color?? This is about a young man who broke the law, ran from a cop, then tried to take an officers gun, and was shot as a result. It doesn't matter what color he was. I am really sick of hearing these stories about black Americans and their families blaming others, but not themselves for crimes they committed. I am sorry I can't say"Its because I am black". Seems to get many what they want or off the hook. I am just happy no one innocent got hurt.
People need to realize it's NOT because your black, You are a CRIMINAL. "

meme wrote on Jul 7, 2012 6:40 PM:
" dear Mr.Scullyyou do your organization a disservice please do us all a faver and step down "

morgan wrote on Jul 7, 2012 7:17 PM:
" Now the police department is getting threats. Real smart people. You already ruined being able to go to the beach at night now your working on an even stricter curfew or group law to where if your in a large group or gathering your going to be classified as a gang and arrested. Oh well, I hope the police department steps up patrols on Michigan Blvd to doing something about all the loitering and harassment to normal citizens that would like to go to the businesses in that area without constantly being heckled. "

I would say - wrote on Jul 7, 2012 8:32 PM:
" - the threat of retaliation are at least partly due to Wes Scully's "routine traffic stop" comment. Way to fan the flames of discontent, Mr. Scully! "
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 9 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

So what's the local take on Mr. Scully? So glad his irresponsible comments didn't cause trouble at the fireworks.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 9 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I knew Wes when I worked at MCAS (his younger brother was one fine athlete). I always thought of him as an upstanding person and a role model for all young men in our community. The entire Scully family are very well spoken and impressive people. I'm shocked that he would be so quick to turn this into a racial issue.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 9 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 9 2012, 04:55 PM) *

I knew Wes when I worked at MCAS (his younger brother was one fine athlete). I always thought of him as an upstanding person and a role model for all young men in our community. The entire Scully family are very well spoken and impressive people. I'm shocked that he would be so quick to turn this into a racial issue.

Isn't this the dad? I thought there was Wes Sr. and Wes Jr.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 04:47 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 9 2012, 04:55 PM) *

I've heard mixed reports - some good. But it seems that every time there's a problem between a black person and a white person in MC Mr. Scully turns it into a racial situation. His "routine traffic stop" comment right before the fireworks was just incendiary.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jul 10 2012, 04:53 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 10 2012, 05:47 AM) *

I've heard mixed reports - some good. But it seems that every time there's a problem between a black person and a white person in MC Mr. Scully turns it into a racial situation. His "routine traffic stop" comment right before the fireworks was just incendiary.

Maybe Wes will have something to say at the Shelley Miller trial.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 05:11 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jul 10 2012, 04:53 AM) *

Maybe Wes will have something to say at the Shelley Miller trial.

What is that?
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jul 10 2012, 05:35 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 10 2012, 06:11 AM) *

What is that?

See the tread on the girls basketball coach beating at St. Stan's .
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 05:50 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jul 10 2012, 05:35 AM) *

See the tread on the girls basketball coach beating at St. Stan's .

I'm not seeing it. Is it in this section?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 06:40 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 10 2012, 06:50 AM) *

I'm not seeing it. Is it in this section?

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....65&hl=stans
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 07:01 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 10 2012, 06:40 AM) *

Thanks - in the first story it says nothing about race. I'll read further.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 07:08 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 10 2012, 08:01 AM) *

Thanks - in the first story it says nothing about race. I'll read further.

On a side note, the search function on the site is pretty awesome. I use it all of the time to refer back to old stories and tie them into what is happening now.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 10 2012, 07:12 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 10 2012, 07:08 AM) *

On a side note, the search function on the site is pretty awesome. I use it all of the time to refer back to old stories and tie them into what is happening now.

A search function?

That's just crazy talk!

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 10 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 9 2012, 11:36 PM) *

Isn't this the dad? I thought there was Wes Sr. and Wes Jr.

I don't know. I always called the Elder Scully "Mr. Scully" and never knew his first name. wacko.gif I just assumed it was the son....

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 10 2012, 07:40 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 10 2012, 08:08 AM) *

Me Too! biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:05 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com