Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=30951.24

Local Attorney: Russert Was Good, Longtime Friend

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - As the death of "Meet the Press" host Tim Russert is being felt across the nation, it's hitting home for a Michigan City man who called Russert one of his best friends.

"I just can't believe he's not going to be on Sunday mornings anymore," attorney Michael Bergerson said Friday through tears. "It's indescribable, the shock and sadness right now. He was just here in October for a Notre Dame football game, and I just spoke to him last week. He's been here many times."

Bergerson and his brother Marty were close friends with Russert, who died of a massive heart attack Friday while at work at NBC. The three attended John Carroll University together and were members of the University Club, a service fraternity at the Jesuit university in Cleveland.

Russert and Marty Bergerson lived together for two years at the university, which is how, Mike Bergerson said, he became so close with the family.

Bergerson said the trio - along with other college friends - have stayed close since graduation and added they always get together whenever Russert was in Chicago.

They tailgated at Notre Dame football games and drank beers at Wrigley Field.

"We had lots of fun together. He had the ability to enjoy life; it was one of his hallmarks," Bergerson said. "We went to a Cubs game this summer, and he didn't want to sit in a skybox. He wanted to sit in the stands and drink a beer just like any other guy.

"That's who he was."

To his friends, Russert was very studious, but also had a fun side. He was president of the University Club and also pushed Bergerson to become more involved. Bergerson was vice president of the group after Russert graduated in 1972.

Bergerson graduated in 1974.

"He was very smart, very intelligent," Bergerson said. "He was an advocate for students' rights and an extremely intelligent guy."

Russert also helped Bergerson become interested in politics and played a role in his recent decision to run for judge of La Porte Superior Court 1.

"He encouraged me to run for office. He said a judge had to be merciful," Bergerson said. "He loved discussing politics. He was such a good friend."

q

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 16 2008, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I'm going to miss Russert. Definately my favorite news guy. One of the few who really wanted to get information out there, as opposed to pushing an agenda.

He will be missed.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 16 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Amen, amen. Here is a plus: He was a great family man and a Buffalo Bills fan. But not to speak ill of the dead, he was a (hated) Yankees fan.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 16 2008, 07:34 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 16 2008, 04:15 PM) *

Amen, amen. Here is a plus: He was a great family man and a Buffalo Bills fan. But not to speak ill of the dead, he was a (hated) Yankees fan.

He also went to Cubs games (per the article), so that redeems him somewhat in my humble opinion (aren't the Cubs just about everyone's second favorite team?)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 16 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 16 2008, 08:34 PM) *

He also went to Cubs games (per the article), so that redeems him somewhat in my humble opinion (aren't the Cubs just about everyone's second favorite team?)

I would say third

1. White Sox
2. All of the rest of the other 28 MLB teams
3. Cubs.

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

For some reason when I read Dave's post, I just KNEW that SSder would say something to the contrary!! laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Typical of White Sox fans, actually. They can't stand the indifference of Cub fans toward the Sox.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:49 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com