post Feb 22 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../22/news/n8.txt

tarks announces council candidacy
From Staff Reports

Angela Starks, a Michigan City native, on Wednesday night announced she is a Democratic candidate for an at-large seat on the City Council. She made the announcement during a gathering at Simmer Coffee, 2701 Franklin St.

Starks said she decided to seek public office when she returned to the city after working out of state and noticed changes in the community.

“I finally made the decision because of my family and deep roots in Michigan City to return home,” said Starks. “I want Michigan City to be the home of my children; a place where they can find happiness, have every opportunity imaginable and achieve success - a place that will give them a sense of community pride.”

Since her return, she said she's noticed a decline in neighborhood schools and parks and that there are few activities that bring the community together. “The success of Michigan City depends on a whole lot more than repair of streets, new sewers, buildings and jobs,” she said. “It is going to be influenced by a sense of community ... and a feeling of belonging. Hotels and restaurants on the beach can't accomplish this.”

Starks described Michigan City as a diamond in the rough, “waiting to be polished and precisely cut and crafted into a lustrous jewel.”

“What better way to attract visitors, new businesses and jobs than seeing a city whose citizens are productive, positive and proud of the city in which they live? I will make sure that your hard-earned money is not spent entirely on attracting tourism dollars.”

Starks lives in the Lakeland area of the city with her two children, Sydney and Kayla. Her niece, Tasia, also lives with her while her mom is serving in Iraq.

She has a bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from Florida A&M/Florida State College of Engineering and is studying for an MBA at Indiana Wesleyan.

Starks is a board member of CASA/ Harmony House, the Michigan City Housing Authority and H.O.P.E., is vice president of the NAACP, is a volunteer with Junior Achievement, track coach at Queen of All Saints and the Michigan City Soccer Club and was a core team member for the Michigan City Area Schools strategic planning effort.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 8 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

What are you going to do to integrate city government with other boards and county to advance employment in mc?
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Mar 8 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 39

QUOTE(Max Main @ Mar 8 2007, 11:31 AM) *

What are you going to do to integrate city government with other boards and county to advance employment in mc?

Hi Max Main,

If you look at the City and County Boards, you'll find several of the same faces on several of them. Most appointments are made by the Councils and the Mayors. There has to be a better system of putting diverse and innovative thinkers on these boards not "Rubber Stamps" or friends as we all call them into these positions that affect the economy of the city. Speaking for myself, I would never make an appointment or re-appointment just because they currently hold the position or even want it. They have to be able to bring something to the table.

I've been talking with Mr. Cunningham and Mr. Bohacek, since they are neophytes, to pick their brains about County Government. I know there are several contract and employment opportunities in the County that many Michigan City residents don't know about. I know they are now working on a centralized Human Resource Department to handle the hiring and posting process.

To advance employment in the area our biggest obstacles are the School System (Graduation Rate and Test Scores), cohesiveness or at least consensus between the City Council and the Mayor, and a proactive/aggressive planning department. We have so many studies floating around but no direction on how to implement. I don't have the answers, I've joined one of the teams that the Chamber has jump started on North End Development. I think clear direction from the top levels of leadership and consensus from the community would get us off to a descent start. Right now there seems to be a disconnect. I'm hoping with a few new faces and professionalism we can change the perception of Michigan City and the region. With all of that, business will come. I hope this helps a little.

Angie
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 8 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

I especially like meeting with the newbies in County.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 9 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #5

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

In Casper Wyoming the Mayor is appointed by the City Council. There is no election. The Council are elected officials, but they appoint the Mayor for a two year term. How crazy is that?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com