post May 9 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news8.txt

Boy says win was vote of confidence

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

Patricia “Pat” Boy will be looking at a very different City Council in January.

After winning her Democratic 4th Ward primary handily Tuesday over David Gring, Boy said she hopes the vote was one of confidence.

“I hope it means ... that they like what I said I wanted to do,” she said.

Boy defeated Gring 658 votes to 377 Tuesday, receiving some 64 percent of the vote to Gring's 36. She has no Republican opponent at this time for the November general election.

She said, however, wholesale changes on the council likely won't cause a seismic shift in the way city business is conducted.

“I think most everything will continue the way it's been going,” she said. “I don't think there's anything now that will change drastically with new people on the council.”

She said next year's council won't be any different than the last time the council changed faces.

“There were four new faces the last time and things really didn't change,” she said. “This could be a really good council. I look forward to working with them.”

She did mention, however, the low voter turnout Tuesday - near 20 percent - saying it might not be a true representation of the city's wishes.

“With 20 percent, you can't say if that's really what everybody wanted,” she said.

Gring, a businessman who - among other things - said he wanted to eliminate property taxes, also said he had plans to reinvigorate the city's North End, specifically the Franklin Street area.

Tuesday he told The News-Dispatch the campaign was a good one.

“She did a nice job,” he said, calling the contest a “good, clean campaign.”

Speaking at victorious incumbent Mayor Chuck Oberlie's celebration Tuesday, Gring said he has been a friend of Oberlie's for many years, but didn't openly run with him or seek his open support.

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:05 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com