IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Patch Picnic will be a joke this year.
Grammy515
post Aug 8 2011, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 964

So with the new million dollar Charles Wescott Park comes new rules.....no grills, no tents, no parking..what's the point of having a picnic there if you can't actually have a picnic? Oh, i forgot Benny Edwards says it's a celebration not a picnic.
I don't know about anyone else, but I think it was the City's plan all along to prevent the Patch/Harborside Reunion Picnic from taking place. Last year it was cancelled to build the park. Now the park is semi-complete, with grass as tall as my grandson and a new security camera. What a joke!!!!!

I'm not mad.....I'm just sayin.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 8 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Really? No food and no shelter at a picnic? That's just short sighted at best.
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Aug 8 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 954

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 8 2011, 10:55 AM) *

So with the new million dollar Charles Wescott Park comes new rules.....no grills, no tents, no parking..what's the point of having a picnic there if you can't actually have a picnic? Oh, i forgot Benny Edwards says it's a celebration not a picnic.
I don't know about anyone else, but I think it was the City's plan all along to prevent the Patch/Harborside Reunion Picnic from taking place. Last year it was cancelled to build the park. Now the park is semi-complete, with grass as tall as my grandson and a new security camera. What a joke!!!!!

I'm not mad.....I'm just sayin.....

So you're suggesting the city is sabotaging the Patch/Harborside event?

I agree the grass is very high and needs to be cut and the security camera with the bright blue light is rather gaudy, but to suggest the City is intentionally neglecting the park is quite a harsh accusation, and your subject line of "Patch Picnic will be a joke this year" is rather rude to those that have worked hard to put it together.

Last time I checked, there are foods that don't require grills and the parking situation will improve once the construction is done on the Boulevard.

In a day when not a whole lot of people in our community show pride in Michigan City and its past, it is unfortunate that you are choosing to focus on the negatives rather than the positives surrounding the event.

Truth be told, if we had a Charlie Westcott in our community today we would probably be better off. Hearing about the type of man he was, instead of pointing at the city, he probably would have pulled a few people together this week and said, "Let's get down there and get that park ready for a party."

Just a thought...

+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 8 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Aug 8 2011, 05:58 PM) *

So you're suggesting the city is sabotaging the Patch/Harborside event?

I agree the grass is very high and needs to be cut and the security camera with the bright blue light is rather gaudy, but to suggest the City is intentionally neglecting the park is quite a harsh accusation, and your subject line of "Patch Picnic will be a joke this year" is rather rude to those that have worked hard to put it together.

Last time I checked, there are foods that don't require grills and the parking situation will improve once the construction is done on the Boulevard.

In a day when not a whole lot of people in our community show pride in Michigan City and its past, it is unfortunate that you are choosing to focus on the negatives rather than the positives surrounding the event.

Truth be told, if we had a Charlie Westcott in our community today we would probably be better off. Hearing about the type of man he was, instead of pointing at the city, he probably would have pulled a few people together this week and said, "Let's get down there and get that park ready for a party."

Just a thought...

Bravo.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 06:03 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 8 2011, 07:05 PM) *

Bravo.

Did I say "the City is sabbatoging the Patch Picnic?" no, that's what you read into it. Have you ever attended a Patch Picnic? The whole point of the picnic originally was to bring together those who had lived down in the Patch. To break bread with one another. People bring grills and tents....maybe you eat food that doesn't require a grill but that's not what was intended.
Yes, I do believe it will be a joke. I'm entitiled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours. I've known Benny Edwards for over 20 years and have very much respect for him and he knows that. Just because I don't agree with him sometimes doesn't change that. People can have different opinions and still respect each other.
If Charlie Wescott were still here, he'd want to know why there's a park with his name on it with NO WHERE FOR THE KIDS TO PLAY.......cause that's what he was about.
Sabbatoge......that's a word you chose. I plainly stated that it was the City's intention to keep the picnic from happening. Time will tell on that one....

thanks indianamaniac.....for putting words in my mouth........you're awesome
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 9 2011, 06:13 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:03 AM) *

Did I say "the City is sabbatoging the Patch Picnic?" no, that's what you read into it. Have you ever attended a Patch Picnic? The whole point of the picnic originally was to bring together those who had lived down in the Patch. To break bread with one another. People bring grills and tents....maybe you eat food that doesn't require a grill but that's not what was intended.
Yes, I do believe it will be a joke. I'm entitiled to my opinion just as you are entitled to yours. I've known Benny Edwards for over 20 years and have very much respect for him and he knows that. Just because I don't agree with him sometimes doesn't change that. People can have different opinions and still respect each other.
If Charlie Wescott were still here, he'd want to know why there's a park with his name on it with NO WHERE FOR THE KIDS TO PLAY.......cause that's what he was about.
Sabbatoge......that's a word you chose. I plainly stated that it was the City's intention to keep the picnic from happening. Time will tell on that one....

Uh - you quoted the wrong guy.

Nice going.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 06:38 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 9 2011, 07:13 AM) *

Uh - you quoted the wrong guy.

Nice going.

so what are you? the post police? whether i quoted him wrong or not,I believe I got my point across.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 06:41 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 07:38 AM) *

so what are you? the post police? whether i quoted him wrong or not,I believe I got my point across.

I also spelled sabotage wrong......you missed that.....nice going....Get on your job post police!! LOL

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 07:38 AM) *

I also spelled sabotage wrong......you missed that.....nice going....Get on your job post police!! LOL
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 9 2011, 06:48 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:41 AM) *

Um - what?
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 06:52 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 9 2011, 07:48 AM) *

Um - what?

um what? don't understand? what a shame.....
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 9 2011, 06:53 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:52 AM) *

um what? don't understand? what a shame.....

No - I have no idea what you're trying to get across. Real English would help.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 06:57 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 9 2011, 07:53 AM) *

No - I have no idea what you're trying to get across. Real English would help.

Of course you have no idea.......that's the problem. you can sit on here and point out the errors of my ways yet not contribute anything constructive to the conversation. It's clear you don't understand......
Is that Real English?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 9 2011, 07:06 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 06:57 AM) *

Of course you have no idea.......that's the problem. you can sit on here and point out the errors of my ways yet not contribute anything constructive to the conversation. It's clear you don't understand......
Is that Real English?

You quoted me instead of the guy you were whining to. I pointed that out.

You don't really get the internet, do you.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 08:00 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 9 2011, 08:06 AM) *

You quoted me instead of the guy you were whining to. I pointed that out.

You don't really get the internet, do you.

NO I GUESS I'M JUST TOO DAMN ILLITERATE FOR THE INTERNET. THANK YOU TIM.......YOUR A SAINT AND A SCHOLAR. WHY DO YOU WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS WHINER? NOTHING MORE TO DO WITH YOURSELF? WHAT A LIFE.....
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Aug 9 2011, 09:29 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 07:03 AM) *

Grammy, you said, "I don't know about anyone else, but I think it was the City's plan all along to prevent the Patch/Harborside Reunion Picnic from taking place."

The definition of sabotage is "an act or process tending to hamper or hurt" or "complete subversion"

Your sentence does everything to imply sabotage but use the word sabotage.

On top of all of this, if you would've read the story about the celebration in the paper closely, it says gas grills are welcome and charcoal grills can be used in limited areas, so another of your arguments is unfounded. I have attached the link to the story below.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...5a674832170.txt

The story also explains why the tents can't be driven into the ground. I don't think it is all that unreasonable for the parks department to want to protect its million-dollar investment.

Negativity, negativity, and more negativity... And here Tim and I finally see eye to eye and you two get into it because a simple misunderstanding.

Take the time you spend complaining about and criticizing things and spend it contributing ways to make things better. If we all did that, I think you'd find this world would be a whole lot better than it is now.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 10:13 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Aug 9 2011, 10:29 AM) *

Grammy, you said, "I don't know about anyone else, but I think it was the City's plan all along to prevent the Patch/Harborside Reunion Picnic from taking place."

The definition of sabotage is "an act or process tending to hamper or hurt" or "complete subversion"

Your sentence does everything to imply sabotage but use the word sabotage.

On top of all of this, if you would've read the story about the celebration in the paper closely, it says gas grills are welcome and charcoal grills can be used in limited areas, so another of your arguments is unfounded. I have attached the link to the story below.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...5a674832170.txt

The story also explains why the tents can't be driven into the ground. I don't think it is all that unreasonable for the parks department to want to protect its million-dollar investment.

Negativity, negativity, and more negativity... And here Tim and I finally see eye to eye and you two get into it because a simple misunderstanding.

Take the time you spend complaining about and criticizing things and spend it contributing ways to make things better. If we all did that, I think you'd find this world would be a whole lot better than it is now.

I just call it as I see it. Like it or not, it's my opinion. you can post all the links you want doesn't change a thing for me. Call it negativity, so what......the City don't want all the Black Folk coloring up the North End for all the Beach and Blue Chip goers to see. Might scare away the tourists.......

So thank you Indianamaniac and Tim.......your words and thoughts are noted....
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Aug 9 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 11:13 AM) *

I just call it as I see it. Like it or not, it's my opinion. you can post all the links you want doesn't change a thing for me. Call it negativity, so what......the City don't want all the Black Folk coloring up the North End for all the Beach and Blue Chip goers to see. Might scare away the tourists.......

So thank you Indianamaniac and Tim.......your words and thoughts are noted....

All I can say is... wow.

+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Aug 9 2011, 11:26 AM) *

All I can say is... wow.

wow......enough said
+Quote Post
indianamaniac
post Aug 9 2011, 11:22 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Aug 9 2011, 11:42 AM) *

wow......enough said

Racism is a horrible, ugly thing that serves no one in any way. It is quite unfortunate that you harbor this belief that the City is trying to prevent African-Americans from enjoying a portion of Michigan City.

"Opinions" such as yours do nothing to help cure the divide that exists. Events such as the Patch-Harborside Celebration encourage people of all races and backgrounds to reminisce on a time when people from underprivileged backgrounds didn't sit back feeling sorry for themselves and blaming other people for what they don't have. A lot of people came out of the Patch and Harborside Homes and did great things. They wouldn't have accomplished those great things had they harbored the same opinions and feelings as you do.

I don't pretend to know what it is like to be an African-American growing up in Michigan City, but I know what it is like to have spent several years living on Michigan Blvd. I know what it was like for parents of friends not wanting their kids to come to my house because of the fear of something happening to their child. I know what it was like to be told by a group of African-American youth to "Get the f*** out of our neighborhood." This while a rock sailed past my head.

I could probably take those experiences and hold some kind of ill-will towards people, but what does that solve?

Nothing.

Grammy, you and I went at it in a thread about City girls basketball. You tend to prefer to point at what you perceive to be slights toward you and your interest instead of looking at what people are trying to do to make things better. People are out there fighting hard to erase the problems that exist in life. The more time you take bashing that work, the more likely those fighting are going to lay down and give up the fight.

Is that what you want to see happen? Are you happy with the status quo? It is obvious you aren't.

Do something constructive about it.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Aug 9 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(indianamaniac @ Aug 9 2011, 12:22 PM) *

Racism is a horrible, ugly thing that serves no one in any way. It is quite unfortunate that you harbor this belief that the City is trying to prevent African-Americans from enjoying a portion of Michigan City.

"Opinions" such as yours do nothing to help cure the divide that exists. Events such as the Patch-Harborside Celebration encourage people of all races and backgrounds to reminisce on a time when people from underprivileged backgrounds didn't sit back feeling sorry for themselves and blaming other people for what they don't have. A lot of people came out of the Patch and Harborside Homes and did great things. They wouldn't have accomplished those great things had they harbored the same opinions and feelings as you do.

I don't pretend to know what it is like to be an African-American growing up in Michigan City, but I know what it is like to have spent several years living on Michigan Blvd. I know what it was like for parents of friends not wanting their kids to come to my house because of the fear of something happening to their child. I know what it was like to be told by a group of African-American youth to "Get the f*** out of our neighborhood." This while a rock sailed past my head.

I could probably take those experiences and hold some kind of ill-will towards people, but what does that solve?

Nothing.

Grammy, you and I went at it in a thread about City girls basketball. You tend to prefer to point at what you perceive to be slights toward you and your interest instead of looking at what people are trying to do to make things better. People are out there fighting hard to erase the problems that exist in life. The more time you take bashing that work, the more likely those fighting are going to lay down and give up the fight.

Is that what you want to see happen? Are you happy with the status quo? It is obvious you aren't.

Do something constructive about it.

Wow...u obviously put alot of thought into that response. Thank you for your insight. As I said before, enough said.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com