Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jim Arnold Interview- State Senator area 8 & Candidate
Southsider2k12
post Apr 9 2008, 10:29 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Senator Arnold responded to request for an interview very quickly! His aide responded within the hour, and I had my answers back by the end of the same day. I'd like to thank the Senator for his time!

What is your view of the property tax reform bill that was recently
passed in the Senate, and the accompanying sales tax increase?

Well, I just spoke to 3 town boards this evening. New Carlisle, Westville and Michigan Shores. And as I told each of them, there was some good in this bill. People will receive immediate property tax relief as the Governor promised. However, it will come at a cost. That cost is a tremendous short fall in local revenue and the need for services to be either cut, or a local option tax adopted to make up for the shortfall. If and when that is done, coupled with the 1% increase in sales tax will increase or prove more money paid out than what we were paying before it's adoption. However, property tax relief was accomplished and that was what most wanted (including me). It wasn't and all bad bill however, and it should be noted that I voted against it because of the fact I couldn't "strap" our local government agencies with belt tightening procedures when we at the state level haven't really done much to "clean" our own home. It was a hard decision, but I was 1 of only 7 senators to vote against it. But I certainly understand and respect those who voted for it.

What was it like stepping into your office after a contentious special
midterm election?

Number 2. Well, it actually was a party caucus that I won by 1 vote, but contentious, yes. It was a very rewarding and yet a learning experience. I came into the senate exactly half-way through where all senate bills were in the house, and all house bills in the senate. It required me to be in my office reading from usually 6AM until well after 10 PM not including committee hearings and sessions. It was definitely a "baptism by fire" but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it made me learn, understand and respect the system much faster and better. I give credit to both sides of the aisle as they worked with me, assisted me and made me feel a welcomed part of the senate. I will always be grateful to all of them for the manner in which I was received.

What is it like being the minority party in the Senate, and what do
you have to do to try to get stuff done?

#3.

Well, being in the minority means you have to do something I have always prided myself in. The ability to cooperate and communicate. To be able to "sell" your programs and the necessity they provide for our citizens. I am very proud of the fact that I am the only democratic senator this session that got 2 bills through both chambers to the Governor which he signed into law. This is unheard of as many of my colleagues stated to me, but once again, one must not go there with and agenda, but with a spirit of cooperation and communicate with all. Going with the demeanor that you are going to "change the world" will more times than not find you on the outside looking in. A place I have not and do not want to be.

It seems one of your first big legislative accomplishments was the
cooling off bill, could you talk about that, and how it felt to pass
your first piece of legislation?

#4. The 8 hour cooling off" bill was without a doubt the crown jewel of my first full session. It was a terrific feeling to get it through the senate and house without a vote against it. Then having the Governor sign it is beyond description. I must give credit to the LaPorte County Domestic Violence Task Force for their encouragement and support on this. As well as the former president of the state judicial association and director of the prosecuting attorney's association that testified on behalf of it. It was a team effort and I was honored to be the author. I got the credit but these organizations deserve much of the credit. SB 27 will always be close to my heart. Not only because it was my first to become law, but what it provides to our society and law enforcement.

Is there anything you would like to do to help aid and turn around the
situation in the Michigan City Area Schools?

#5. Yes, I wish I could play a more visible part in bringing the teachers and administration together. Far too much distrust and animosity is being displayed and the losers could very well be not only our community in our efforts to encourage businesses to locate here, but our students and the educational system as well. We do not have the luxury to put our education system on the back burner while our test scores and graduation rates suffer. We are setting a very poor example for our young people. I will do anything or go anywhere to assist in getting this matter resolved and back to doing what we are supposed to be doing, educating our children and instilling in them the desire to learn.

What is going to be the biggest issue dealt with in the next state
legislative session?

#6. Well, I will give you three that I feel could play a very important role. First of all, illegal immigration is looming on the horizon. And issue that should be dealt with at the federal level just isn't being done, forcing states to spend time and money addressing it. Could be very well (next to the budget) the biggest item coming. #2. Local government reform is going to come up in a variety of ways. Elimination of certain offices, consolidation of some, all could be a key issue. Finally, I'm not so sure there won't some tax issues brought back..if not next year, very likely the year after. These of course are only summations on my part. Who knows, none of these may even arise. With my seniority and time in Indy, I am only going by what I witnessed last session.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Apr 9 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Interesting. My thanks to the Senator for answering Southsider's questions as well.

I do wonder how much of the immigration issue can be addressed at the state level. Not to mention the issue as to whether it should even be addressed at the state level. I'm not sure our state lawmakers should be wasting their time on something they can't effect, when Indiana has lots of problems that they can have a positive effect on.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 9 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I typically vote Republican and have only voted Democratic twice in my life. One time was for Jim Arnold for Sheriff and the other was for Frank O'Bannon for Guvnah. Neither time was I sorry. If I was still an Indiana resident, you can rest assured that Jim would have my vote!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:30 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com