NO [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
Total Votes: 3
Guests cannot vote 
Anon
post Jan 10 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,155

According to About.com a hiring freeze is when an employer decides to stop hiring employees for all non-essential positions. A hiring freeze allows an employer to consolidate current employees and potentially restructure departments, to complete the work that is essential for serving the customers of the business.

Additionally, During a hiring freeze, employers should restrain their managers from adding additional staffing costs in ways chosen to get around the hiring freeze. This happens through adding temporary or contingent staff, hiring part-time employees with no benefits, and hiring interns, for example.

So if La Porte County is fiscally is trouble why are people being hired. If we as citizens have to tighten our belts because the economy has hit so many of us, why can't County Government start by trimming some of the fat.

If our taxes are messed up and the County had to contract an outside agency to reassess us. The question is what are the employees in the assessors office doing??? Why are we, as a county, paying an outside firm and county employees?
But, yet our council seems to think this is okay. Make no sense to me. The council will say how fiscally tight things are and how broke the county is but I have stated two examples of how they are not .

Let's start by getting rid of the fat which must start at the top; replace the council with new more creative thinkers and say goodbye to what has been plaguing this county.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 10 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

You should have added a "sometimes" option to the poll. laugh.gif

Personally I think that we have some very superb elected officials in our community, ones that do great things for the people they represent. An example would be Willie Milsap as 5th Ward Councilman. I know there are those who will disagree with me, but Willie did a bang up job in the 5th Ward and I'm confident those who live there will agree. How many years did he hold that office? And now he's a County Commissioner.
On the other hand, we have some that I believe only ran so they could say they were an elected official. They did so for personal gain and prosperity, not because they truly cared about the people they represent or the job they were elected to do. Without naming names on that area, I would say a certain former Property Tax Assessor is an excellent example.
Having said all that, it is important to pay attention to the people running for offices and become familiar with who they are and what they have to say. If we all educate ourselves so that we can make informed decisions, I believe the answer to this poll question would 100% yes. (see Daddy? I do listen to you. wink.gif )

So, my vote is Sometimes

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 11 2012, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

I said no, just because in general I think even the local politicians promise way more than they can deliver.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jan 11 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 10 2012, 11:19 PM) *

You should have added a "sometimes" option to the poll. laugh.gif

Personally I think that we have some very superb elected officials in our community, ones that do great things for the people they represent. An example would be Willie Milsap as 5th Ward Councilman. I know there are those who will disagree with me, but Willie did a bang up job in the 5th Ward and I'm confident those who live there will agree. How many years did he hold that office? And now he's on the County Council.
On the other hand, we have some that I believe only ran so they could say they were an elected official. They did so for personal gain and prosperity, not because they truly cared about the people they represent or the job they were elected to do. Without naming names on that area, I would say a certain former Property Tax Assessor is an excellent example.
Having said all that, it is important to pay attention to the people running for offices and become familiar with who they are and what they have to say. If we all educate ourselves so that we can make informed decisions, I believe the answer to this poll question would 100% yes. (see Daddy? I do listen to you. wink.gif )

So, my vote is Sometimes

Willie Milsap is not on the county council. Willie Milsap is now one of our three county comissioners along with Ken Layton and Barb Huston. Ken Layton is going to retire at the end of his term and Dr. Vidya Kora is going to run for his position.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 12 2012, 04:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

My bad. I knew he had an elected position with the County. I've corrected my original post

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com