Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MC Restaurants Remembered
Tim
post Jan 12 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Having grown up in Michigan City I have fond memories of many restaurants which have gone out of business or changed hands. A few of them are:

The Sugar Bowl - As a sophmore at Elston I used to go to The Sugar Bowl twice a week with pals - they had a great cheeseburger/fries set. A nice little restaurant.

The Hickory Pit - Remember "Chicken In The Rough"? My family used to go to the Hickory Pit after church on Sundays. Great food.

M&M original location - at 10th and Franklin on the NE corner. A lot different than the M&M of today - very 50's (it WAS the 50's!).

The Pirate Ship - Anyone remember this place? A pizza restaurant on So. Franklin - part of it was shaped like the back of a pirate ship. The site of my first job at the age of 14. Good pizza - I think they had bands there.

Gene's - don't really remember much about it other than it was over on Michigan Blvd. and had great steaks.

Maxine & Heinie's - probably the social epicenter of MC for many years - wonderful food and great atmosphere.

Brownie's Griddle - I think there were originally 3 locations - one was in the Park 'N Shop - another at 4th and Franklin. My dad would take me there on Saturday mornings to sit at the long counter and have breakfast.

The Glass House - at Franklin and 20 - the thing I remember most about The Glass House was the billboards you'd see coming up 421 from US 30. "Only 7 miles" - you knew you'd be home soon.

The Pub - in The Warren Bldg. - Dick Christian had the greatest little place - all dark wood and great atmosphere. A great lunch was The Pubmaster - a ground beef pattie with cheese. Excellent dinners too.

Leed's - at 4th and Franklin (I think) the Leed's steak sandwich was a marvel!

Azar's Big Boy - where Lindo's is now. The covered parking area in the back used to be Azar's car hop drive-in area - they had little trays with intercom speakers/mics you ordered from. Great milkshakes.

8th Street Cafe - another nice little place.

Henry's Hamburgers - on Franklin near Greene's Standard - A McDonald's-like place whose burgers were better than McDonald's.

Anyone else have any memories they'd like to share?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 13 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Wow, you're right, a lot of places have folded. I didn't know that the M&M was on Franklin at one time.
The Pub was a great place. Remember how they would have that cart with all the cuts of meat on it? I also loved the marinated grilled shrimp. Dick Christian did a great job.
How about Oma and Andy Zerbes and the Old Heidelburg. They were friends and good restrauteurs.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 13 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I remember my favorite place as a kid was the place where Taco Bell is now that had all of the trains running through it.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 13 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

The Red Lantern Inn. I used to love to sit by the window and watch the lake. So cool. I had my Prom dinner there. What a neat-o place.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 13 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jan 13 2007, 09:30 AM) *

Wow, you're right, a lot of places have folded. I didn't know that the M&M was on Franklin at one time.
The Pub was a great place. Remember how they would have that cart with all the cuts of meat on it? I also loved the marinated grilled shrimp. Dick Christian did a great job.
How about Oma and Andy Zerbes and the Old Heidelburg. They were friends and good restrauteurs.

Never went to the Old Heidelburg much. Albano's also used to be in a different location - I think on the north side of Magro's shoes. Anybody help us out with that one?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 13 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 13 2007, 01:45 PM) *

The Red Lantern Inn. I used to love to sit by the window and watch the lake. So cool. I had my Prom dinner there. What a neat-o place.

Wow! Forgot about that one - yes, a great restaurant.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 13 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I'm too young to remember the Red Lantern but I know my folks used to go there. You do know that it was owned by the Larsons. Kenny Larson the son owns and runs Hammers on Hwy 20. That was/is a choice piece of property which is now the Beverly Shores Public Beach Pavillion.
Two other interesting properties in Bev Sho. THe old Greco's on Broadway and Bruno's on hwy 12. I'd love to make something happen there.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 15 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3

7th grade---Belle's SE corner of Franklin and Barker Ave

6th---a Taco place not sure I recall where; maybe where Rally's is or thereabouts

Younger---Red Barn for chicken, where Taco Bell is.

The Luncheon Basket---I think it was where the little parking lot is up from Magro's, same block

Albano's was where the resale shop is just south of the closed Gratty's

Larocco's---stop 2 where the coffee shop was torn down

Peter's Dairy, torn down, edge of Mich Blvd where Chrysler used to be

Scholl's dairy, across the street from Albano's, NW corner of Homer and Franklin

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 15 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #9

Hey! What about the Robin Hood in the Mall? I especially remember the onion rings as big as crullers.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 15 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 15 2007, 05:30 PM) *

Hey! What about the Robin Hood in the Mall? I especially remember the onion rings as big as crullers.

Are you going to call me names if I respond? Lots of good calls - though I know Albano's was -at some point anyway - on the east side of Franklin. Two more places in the mall -

The Trolley Stop - nice little place.

Wallgreen's - glorious patty melts!

+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 15 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 15 2007, 04:23 PM) *
Scholl's dairy, across the street from Albano's, NW corner of Homer and Franklin

Hey - that's where the big white milk bottle is still up on the roof, right? My mother used to take me there for ice cream.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 16 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #12

Remember the Walgreen's diner in the mall had windows that faced the main entrance by Sears? Well, my cousin and I used to crawl under those windows and jump up and make faces at the people eating. Then we would run out of the mall just laughing and laughing. I was probably about 10 when we would do that and we thought we were so cool--scaring people like that.

Oh, and isn't The Lunch Basket the place that Gratty's moved to? Speaking of Gratty's, they had some really awsome bar food. Some of the best around. I used to like to go there just for the food. Too bad they lost their license.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 16 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #13

In the Mall you have to mention the buffet in Carson Pirie Scot.

What about bakeries? I think my family's favorite was Colonial Bakery which was where the kickboxing gym was until Singletary (?) got ill; just up from 9th St on the west (left, going to the lake) and across from St Paul Lutheran.

Parry's, at Eastgate Plaza.

What was the name of the place in Park n Shop?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 17 2007, 04:15 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 16 2007, 12:03 PM) *

In the Mall you have to mention the buffet in Carson Pirie Scot.

What about bakeries? I think my family's favorite was Colonial Bakery which was where the kickboxing gym was until Singletary (?) got ill; just up from 9th St on the west (left, going to the lake) and across from St Paul Lutheran.

Parry's, at Eastgate Plaza.

What was the name of the place in Park n Shop?

Isn't it Carson Pirie Scott? Perry's? Singleton?

Ah, Colonial Bakery - home of a heavenly almond crescent. We used to skip Sunday school at St. Paul's and go hang out in Colonial.

What was the name of that place in Park N' Shop? Man - I grew up in Edgewood and went there all the time - but the name escapes me.

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 16 2007, 09:52 AM) *

Remember the Walgreen's diner in the mall had windows that faced the main entrance by Sears? Well, my cousin and I used to crawl under those windows and jump up and make faces at the people eating.

That was you?

biggrin.gif

I remember eating there, but I don't remember the windows.....
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 17 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #15

I don't recall if there was a specific name, but it was Harvey Krentz's bakery in Park n Shop.

What about the Anchorage? Will anyone admit going there in its later years? Or 'working' there?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 17 2007, 09:24 AM
Post #16

Wasn't it Michigan City Bakery? Or something like that? Or is that somewhere else I'm thinking of?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 17 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 17 2007, 09:24 AM) *

Wasn't it Michigan City Bakery? Or something like that? Or is that somewhere else I'm thinking of?

Hmmmmm - maybe, but that doesn't ring a bell. I'm calling my mother - she'll know.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 18 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #18

Mich City Bakery? or maybe Quality Bakery? I may have to call Mr. Krentz to find out!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 18 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #19

Maybe it was called Krentz's bakery?

I guess Tim hasn't been able to get a hold of his mother yet.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jan 18 2007, 04:10 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jan 18 2007, 02:40 PM) *

Mich City Bakery? or maybe Quality Bakery? I may have to call Mr. Krentz to find out!

Quality Bakery is ringing a bell......
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:41 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com