IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Artspace and Michigan City, Affordable housing for artists?
Johnny Rush
post Sep 9 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 72

There was a workshop meeting at the Common Council chambers at City Hall last night dealing with the possibility of Artspace Projects Inc doing their next development project here in Michigan City. They are currently surveying the area and trying to figure out the feasibility of doing something local. The most important things they are looking for are

1. strong community leadership (they don't want squabbling about the project, they want the entire council/mayor behind anything that they would start)

2. A vital artist community (they want to be assured that at least 25 low wage earning artists would be interested in living in a project that they complete)

3. they are looking for re-development challenges (since they are a non-profit, and they are run by artists, they are looking for something that they can make beautiful)

4. they prefer their projects to have some type of historical context (prolly so they can include it and tell the story during their 40 minute slide-show of old buildings?)

5. they need a project concept (is there going to be a commercial aspect to the building or simply residential...does the city have a vision of what they want to accomplish there)

6. a site analysis (they have their eyes on Franklin Street...but that is WAY unofficial)

7. Financial Analysis (I'll get into that later)

We can learn a little bit more about Artspace at www.artspaceusa.org, but the housing is basically Section 42 for low income persons or families. There WILL be the caveat that anyone moving into the facilities must be an artist. To prove that you are an artest, you will have to present your credentials before an independent board of artists who will give you the thumbs up or thumbs down on moving in. The criteria seems to be passion for your art more than any type of output or performance.

The thought seems to be that housing and importing an apartment complex full of artists will draw in businesses to the downtown district in Michigan City. IE...a coffee shop will be inspired to set up shop to get the artists to hang out, people will love the artistic atmosphere of the new coffee shop and spend time there, inspiring new businesses etc... In my opinion, just gutting out and rehabbing any of the ugly deserted buildings on Franklin Street would make the project a success, but they made sure to note all the artistic communities that have developed around their projects.

They don't seem to offer any money in the project, BUT they have a grant writer, a lobbyist, etc...people that can get money. They just ask that the city is behind them, and points them in the right direction and help with the project. There were mentions of TIFs and other such incentives to build, and Artspace DOES own the building when all is said and done. I should have asked if the buildings revert back to the cities if the non-profit disolves or ceases to be...but I didn't think of that until now.

They are basically exploring US right now, and deciding if they want to move to the next step in Michigan City, they will be trolling around the next few days talking with artists, looking at buildings and seeing what kind of passion the community has for art. Best case scenario, the project wouldn't start the construction phase until 2011 (that's if we all agreed to move forward today...which is impossible), and the Artspace crew said that they generally move forward on 1 out of every 7 or 8 projects that have made it to the point that Michigan City is at now. If THEY decide to move forward THEN it is our turn to decide if we want to move forward.

So, it may be a lot to do with nothing, but it's nice to know that redevelopment on Franklin Street is still on the front burner, we will have the entire hour long Q&A session of the meeting posted up on WIMS Video in 10 minute segments if you wanted to check it out for yourself. Thanks edgeywood for the kick in the pants, once we have an afternoon show totally trained and in place, we plan on spending much more time in the community covering events ourselves. Even though many of the callers on the show have talked with us in advance, and we know they are going to cover the event for us.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 9 2008, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Wow, that would be a great win for MC. Anything that us non-artists can do to help?
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Sep 9 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Sep 9 2008, 10:43 AM) *

Wow, that would be a great win for MC. Anything that us non-artists can do to help?

According to them, the only thing that residents can currently do is send letters to the mayor telling him you are in support of the project. They basically want 2 things at the end of the day, the support of city officials so that they won't have a problem with funding and the knowledge that there are at least 25 artists that would move in.

I don't think there is much us regular folk can do at this point.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dave
post Sep 9 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

This is excellent!

It appears that we already have the beginnings of something artistic on Franklin Street. Two artists have set up studios in the building at the southwest corner of Franklin and 7th in the past couple of months, in addition to the art galleries that have been on Franklin for a while.

I think it's great. I do have one request: please, no mimes. Those guys creep me out.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 9 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

How perfect would the Warren Building be for something like this? I mean, I'm not sure that we could fill the whole thing with this, but it sounds great.

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 9 2008, 11:55 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Here is everything I have to say about mimes:

Now, about this other thing, this sounds like a great project. There are any number of buildings that could be used for this. Franklin Sq. area seems like a natural.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 9 2008, 12:03 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 9 2008, 12:55 PM) *

Here is everything I have to say about mimes:
This sounds like a great project. There are any number of buildings that could be used for this. Franklin Sq. area seems like a natural.

It's just one more reason to leave the South Shore tracks where they are, too.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 10 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #8

Amen, amen!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Sep 10 2008, 07:32 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Johnny Rush @ Sep 9 2008, 10:34 AM) *

Thanks edgeywood for the kick in the pants, once we have an afternoon show totally trained and in place, we plan on spending much more time in the community covering events ourselves. Even though many of the callers on the show have talked with us in advance, and we know they are going to cover the event for us.

To coin a phrase, love you...love the show!

I understand that a local radio station is not built in a day!
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Dec 5 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #10

As an update, I contacted artspace before the south shore meeting last night, to see if moving the rails would have any impact on their plans to potentially move into Michigan City...or if they were still even looking at Michigan City. They said they were paid to come out as a consultant, and that part of the project is complete. They said the visit was very positive, they are now talking with the Chamber and are planning on coming back out in Spring to talk with the "artistic community".

Teri Deaver didn't really seem overly interested when I was talking about the potential of the South Shore lines moving...so I don't think it factors into their decision at all.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #11

I have somewhat negative vibes re Bietry's Chamber. Justified? Can some of you help me think this through?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Dec 5 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 827

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 5 2008, 11:02 AM) *

I have somewhat negative vibes re Bietry's Chamber. Justified? Can some of you help me think this through?

I knew Tim Bietry when he worked for the school system. My wife and daughters, who were students then, had a good impression of him. I come in contact with him at various chamber functions, recently at a business after hours, and have a good impression, too. Ron Miller has been on the board in recent years and has good thoughts of the chamber, quite different from earlier when the chamber was worse than useless...it blocked anything approaching progress, but I am probably still biased. It was the worst I have ever seen of a old boys' network. Fortunately in most communities those exclusionary views have died.
As I said to Wally Pritz recently: "We outlived the bastards." When I arrived in the late l960s three bankers controlled the city and the chamber. Unless they personally benefited, they nixed about everything.

One banker in particular would say something at a chamber meeting and the then chamber exec would say "How wonderful" and everyone would applaud........
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Dec 5 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

I think it's great. I do have one request: please, no mimes. Those guys creep me out.
[/quote]

Reminds me of the old Stephen Wright joke...

"Last night I played a blank tape full blast...the mime next door went nuts."

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 5 2008, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10

Roger, did you attend high school in Michigan City? If so, then I'm sure you're familiar with Tim Bietry as an educator. I agree with you that the Chamber has made some silly decisions when it comes to endorsing candidates, however, the Chamber of Commerce is not just Tim Bietry. With that in mind, I believe Tim is an awsome guy and puts 100% into everything he does. When I worked for MCAS I had an opportunity to get to know him on a professional level as well as personal level. I always respected and admired him when I was a student, but knowing him as an adult is a different situation and my opinion only improved. Plus, I don't think of Tim Bietry as a "good ol' boy"

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 5 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 5 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Roger, did you attend high school in Michigan City? If so, then I'm sure you're familiar with Tim Bietry as an educator. I agree with you that the Chamber has made some silly decisions when it comes to endorsing candidates, however, the Chamber of Commerce is not just Tim Bietry. With that in mind, I believe Tim is an awsome guy and puts 100% into everything he does. When I worked for MCAS I had an opportunity to get to know him on a professional level as well as personal level. I always respected and admired him when I was a student, but knowing him as an adult is a different situation and my opinion only improved. Plus, I don't think of Tim Bietry as a "good ol' boy"

I too have a ton of respect for Tim Bietry when it comes to education. I also think he was elected to represent the Chamber, and a part of that is standing up for what they believe is their best interests. The Chamber is the one who was the big pusher of the strategic plan, not the school system. The Chamber wants to make sure that plan continues on, and they know they have a "supporter" in Michael Harding. If they got a new Super of schools, they don't know that they will have that support. That's why they want people in office who support Harding. I think it is perfectly reasonable for Tim Bietry as the head of that group to represent what he feels are the Chambers best interests.

That being said, I do not agree with his point of view.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #16

As I lie here on the virtual couch, I think back to HS days at Rogers. Oh, Marsha; I recall Pam...graduation...other people whose names may take a minute or two to remember...Mrs. Nightingale...Aaaargh! Mr Hafner... Yes, I recall Mr. Bietry, but I had no classes with him. I do not think I ever had any interaction ever with him. Generally, I have a positive view of him personally. Something about the Chamber, though...

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Dec 5 2008, 04:35 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 5 2008, 11:56 AM) *

I too have a ton of respect for Tim Bietry when it comes to education. I also think he was elected to represent the Chamber, and a part of that is standing up for what they believe is their best interests. ...

Not to be nit-picky, but Bietry was hired, not elected.

And that is the problem that I have with some of the Chanber's initiatives. They are not representatives of the whole community. They represent part of the business community.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #18

and he was not hired to represent the Chamber but to head it up. I am holding him responsible for the negative vibes about the Chamber!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 9 2009, 09:59 AM
Post #19

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40441.01

Artists in residence
Former Brinckmann Building the site of four artist consignment lofts.

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The vision of Franklin Square as a vibrant area of art galleries and residential lofts is a reality at 622-624 Franklin St., the 1920s vintage Brinckmann Building.

The renovated building features commercial space on the lower level that later this month will open as an artist consignment studio. The upstairs has been converted into four sparkling white, 900-square-foot residential lofts. The lofts have an open floor plan, wood flooring, Marvin double-hung windows and stackable washer-dryer units. One loft is already rented.

From the threshold of inlaid mosaic tile, the original maple stairway lead to the residential hallway, where a Kokomo stained glass window graces the ceiling.

An unnamed investor bought the building for $250,000 and hired Pearl Mort, a general contractor from Monterey, Ind., to completely gut and renovate the interior. Mort said he salvaged as much as possible from the original build to use in the renovation.

Mike Conner, of Coastal Properties, sold the building to the unnamed buyer and is helping to lease the loft space. He's disappointed the city doesn't offer more incentives to offset the risk developers take to rehabilitate the historic buildings in Franklin Square. He said a "cohesive, realistic plan" is needed to bring Franklin Square back to life.

"There appeared to be a lot of interest by the chamber, before the last election, in organizing people to help generate a plan of action downtown," Conner said. "This could be a snowball effect if we could get some momentum here. It can't all be left up to private citizenry."

John Regetz, executive director of the Michigan City Economic Development Corporation, said tax abatements are available to buyers in the historic district. The tax abatements reduce real estate and property taxes by half, to compensate owners for the property improvements. Regetz said a new grant for facade improvements has just been made available through the Mainstreet Association.

"The Brinckmann Building is a nice improvement," Regetz said. "Everybody feels there's some positive momentum in development on Franklin Street."

After serving as the general contractor, Mort is now the downstairs tenet. As a wood artisan and furniture maker, Mort decided the street level space would be a good place to showcase the work of other artists like himself. He advertised the opportunity on the Internet, and was contacted by 47 artists.

Mort will be joined by two other wood furniture makers, a painter, a jewelry maker and artists who work with copper and other metals.

Conner said Mort has "a love affair with wood." He even married a woman whose family name is Wood.

"He chops down his own tree, puts the wood in a kiln and turns it into something for your living room," Conner said. Mort made the upstairs railing in the loft space from a walnut tree gleaned from a farmer in Pulaski County who was clearing some land.

Mort was a green builder before green became popular. He believes in using and reusing materials - be they trees or buildings - as often as possible. He calls himself "the original recycler."

Chris Groh, another wood-working artist, is preparing a new studio at 607 Franklin St., but Mort's not worried about competition.

"I haven't made anything in 32 years that didn't sell," Mort said. "As a one-person business, I make what I want and people buy it."

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 3 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #20

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=49460.3

Finding a space for artists

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The city continues to investigate establishing an apartment building where artists can make their home and work their craft at the same time.

Roy Close, director of resource development for Artspace Projects Inc., announced Thursday the company has launched a Web site that will gauge local artist interest in the potential facility. The Web site is www.ArtSpaceMichiganCity.org.

Artspace Projects Inc. is a Minneapolis-based non-profit company that buys property to provide housing for artists, specifically those who earn 60 percent of the average area income. The company also works to provide commercial and studio spaces where artists can work.

The company has completed 23 projects in cities such as Houston, Chicago, Pittsburgh and Buffalo, N.Y.

Tim Bietry, Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce president, said city officials would like to create an affordable living or working development for artists along the Franklin Street corridor, specifically from Michigan City Public Library to 11th Street.

The Web site, Bietry said, was created to survey artists who live within a 70-mile radius of Michigan City.

"We need to know how many of them would be willing to relocate here if a facility were to be constructed," Bietry said.

"We want to find out the size of the artist market," Close added. "We want to get a sense of what's out there, what do they need and the kind of space they need."

Bietry thinks there are about 4,500 artists within 60 miles of the city, but the survey will help validate those numbers.

Close said there are criteria the city has to meet for Artspace to look into constructing artist living quarters. Those criteria, he said, include strong community leadership in the project, an area with a vital artist community and an area that presents redevelopment challenges. He's particularly interested in buildings or land with significant historical context.

During Thursday's meeting at the Lubeznik Center for the Arts, several attendees asked about using the Warren building on Franklin Street for artist housing.

Close said he was interested in the building, but it wasn't for sale.

"The owner has no interest in selling it," he said.

Even if the Warren building is an ideal locale, Close said, it still has to be found out whether or not there are enough local artists interested in the project.

"We need to find out if there is a market for it," he said.

Artspace
to qualify for the potential housing...

• Your income must not exceed 60 percent of area median income. The median income in La Porte County is $59,400 for a four-person family.

• You must pass a credit check, rental history and criminal background check.

• You must be able to demonstrate how dedicated you are to your work.

Interested residents should keep these things in mind when completing the survey at www.ArtSpaceMichiganCity.org.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:57 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com