Southsider2k12
post Jun 5 2010, 07:25 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...2a551643102.txt

Mark Swistek picked as new police chief

Deborah Sederberg/The News-Dispatch Mayor Chuck Oberlie (right) announces Mark Swistek as the new police chief Friday.
Succeeds Ben Neitzel at end of July
By Deborah Sederberg
Staff writer
Published: Saturday, June 5, 2010 12:02 AM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Law enforcement is a generational thing for the new Michigan City police chief, Mark Swistek.

“On July 5, 1961, my father, John Swistek, was hired as a Michigan City police officer and had proudly served the citizens of Michigan City ‘til Feb. 21, 1984, at which time he retired from the department after having served nearly 23 years,” Swistek, chief of operations for MCPD, said Friday afternoon at City Hall just after Mayor Chuck Oberlie announced his appointment. Swistek’s mother, Rita, serves as secretary to Chief Ben Neitzel, who will retire on July 30.

“The chief of police is one of the most important appointments a mayor makes,” Oberlie said. “The individual must have the respect of his or her co-workers in the department, the public, the judicial system and outside law enforcement agencies at the county and federal levels.”

Swistek, an 18-year-veteran, has all those qualities, Oberlie noted. “Officer Swistek has earned respect within the department by being a good listener, a good communicator and for his experience working in the field with his fellow officers.”

Swistek’s preference for spending time on the streets is well-known among his fellow officers. When asked whether he will have time as chief to do that kind of work, he said he would try to make the time.

Swistek has been chief of operations since 2004; he also has served as commander of the narcotics division/task force, as detective and supervisor within the investigative bureau, in the special operations group/patrol division and as a patrolman in the uniform patrol division.

The chief’s salary is $60,147.

Altogether, 11 officers applied for the chief’s position, Oberlie said. He declined to name the other applicants. “I don’t think it would be fair to them,” he said.

All applicants were interviewed once, Oberlie noted. “I am very pleased with the extensive depth of knowledge and the experience that is available throughout the department,” he added.

“I never considered going outside the department” to search for a new chief, the mayor noted.

Both the mayor and Swistek said the new chief welcomes the opportunity to work for nearly two months with Neitzel before his retirement. Swistek said Neitzel has served as “a mentor and an exceptional leader.”

Standing tall in his uniform, his voice touched with just a bit of emotion, Swistek said his parents weren’t always in favor of his ambition to join the police force. He was a child when he “realized that I also wanted to pursue a career in law enforcement,” he said.

Over his 18 years on the force, Swistek noted, he has given his family plenty of reason to worry. “I am grateful for the love and support they have shown,” he added.

To “my dear wife, Rhonda, and my lovely daughter, Morgan,” he said, “Words cannot explain how appreciative to have their love and support over the years.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...86713980583.txt

Swistek names team

By Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 4:13 AM CDT

MICHIGAN CITY — Incoming Michigan City Police Chief Mark Swistek announced the selection of his two assistant chiefs Tuesday, completing his administrative team that will take charge of the department July 31.

The new Assistant Chief of Operations will be Tim Richardson, a 15-year-veteran of the police department who is a lieutenant and serves as assistant commander of the day-shift officers, Swistek said at a news conference. Royce Williams, a sergeant and squad supervisor in the detective bureau who has been with the department for 18 years, was selected as assistant chief of services.

“It was an important decision and a hard one, but they came to the table with a lot of information and initiative,” Swistek said. “I wanted to go in with an open mind to select the people who could take the department where it needs to go.”

He said he received many applications and interviewed more than six department members, although he said he didn’t think it would be fair to name them.

“Everyone is a piece of the puzzle here. They all have knowledge that we need to be successful,” he said.

Swistek and Richardson have been Narcotics Task Force commanders, a fact Swistek said is indicative of his planned focus on reducing drug activity. In April, Richardson was awarded the Law Enforcement Partnership Award from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for his work in the investigation of several large-scale federal narcotics investigations with ties to Mexico.

In an emotional speech during Tuesday’s announcement, Richardson said he is committed to ensuring a safe community for all residents.

“If you are a burglar, a drug dealer, commit crimes against children or illegally carry a gun within our community, you may want to look for a new zip code, because as this department continues to carry out its mission, you will become one of our primary objectives,” he said.

Williams is credited with creating the department’s Top 10 Most Wanted List, which has helped capture 230 people to date. He is also the District One liaison to the Indiana Intelligence Fusion Center, which develops advanced gathering of intelligence and investigative analysis throughout the state.

“I am honored, grateful and eager to rise to the challenge of this assignment,” Williams said.

Swistek said the rest of the supervisory structure has yet to be determined, so he is unsure where current Chief of Services John Kintzele will end up.

“I’m sure he will serve in a command capacity. He has 24 years of expertise,” Swistek said.

Swistek, Richardson and Williams all will slowly transition into their new roles until the retirement of Chief Ben Neitzel on July 30.

All in the family

Law enforcement runs in the blood for incoming Police Chief Mark Swistek’s family.

His father was a police officer for 23 years, he said, and his wife Rhonda’s father was a police captain for 34 years.

“It’s not uncommon to see many family combinations, and we have quite a few of them here,” Swistek said. “Policing is really a family tradition.”

Some of his family members are still employees.

His mother, Rita Swistek, has served as the executive secretary for the chiefs of three administrations. Rhonda Swistek is a records department secretary. Both were employed there before he was hired as a patrol officer, he said, and he will not be the direct supervisor for either one. Rita Swistek’s boss has always been the chief of services, a position now filled by Assistant Chief John Kintzele.

“I know I cannot supervise my own relatives, and it would be improper to do that,” he said. “No one will be getting preferential treatment.”

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:41 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com