IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elected official arrested for OWI., La Porte County Council Member Matthew Bernacchi.
MCRogers1974
post May 25 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 968

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...d4957571751.txt

Matt has nothing to worry about regarding his re-election, since the brilliant people of La Porte County vote straight ticket.
****** PUNCH 10 ******
County Assessor Carol McDaniel
LaPorte County Council member Matthew Bernacchi
Judge Jennifer Evans
****** PUNCH 10 ******

Elected official arrested for OWI

By Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch
By Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch
Published: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:13 AM CDT
LA PORTE — A member of the La Porte County Council was booked into the La Porte County Jail early Sunday for Class A misdemeanor operating while intoxicated, police said.

According to La Porte County Sheriff’s deputies, a 2010 Dodge Ram pickup driven by Matthew Bernacchi, 28, of 3885 W. Timber Ridge Road, pulled out of an alley on Michigan Avenue in front of La Porte City Hall about 12:30 a.m. Sunday.

La Porte County Police Sgt. Mike Kellems had just arrested another drunk driving suspect and was taking that offender to the county jail. Kellems said he had to brake hard and steer quickly to his right to avoid a head-on collision with the driver, later identified as Bernacchi.

After Kellems alerted other officers, another patrolman followed the vehicle northbound over the U.S. 35 overpass. That officer said Bernacchi crossed the center line four times in less than a quarter mile before he was stopped in the parking lot of Taco Bell at 202 Pine Lake Ave.

According to county police, Bernacchi told the arresting officers, “I know I’ve been drinking.” He tested at .18 percent blood alcohol, police said.

Bernacchi, a Democrat, was elected to his first term on the County Council in 2008.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 26 2010, 07:02 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

"According to county police, Bernacchi told the arresting officers, “I know I’ve been drinking.” "

Once again proving reality is funnier than fiction.

laugh.gif

What a dope. Oh well, let's not be too hard on him. It's hard to drink a vat of scotch and drive a Dodge Ram.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post May 27 2010, 05:18 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

[quote name='MCRogers1974' date='May 25 2010, 01:45 PM' post='27672']
Matt has nothing to worry about regarding his re-election, since the brilliant people of La Porte County vote straight ticket.
****** PUNCH 10 ******
County Assessor Carol McDaniel
LaPorte County Council member Matthew Bernacchi
Judge Jennifer Evans
****** PUNCH 10 ******

Before you continue wearing this out, please explain Kathleen Lang. She won running against politically connected Punch 10 Democrat Michael Bergeson. Hmmmmm
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post May 28 2010, 06:57 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

lovethiscity provides an interesting insight. However, he fails to explain how the noted idiots got elected in the first place. The central issue now becomes "how do we get rid of these elected fools and how do we ensure they stay unelected". Hmmmmm
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jun 2 2010, 05:59 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ May 28 2010, 07:57 AM) *

lovethiscity provides an interesting insight. However, he fails to explain how the noted idiots got elected in the first place. The central issue now becomes "how do we get rid of these elected fools and how do we ensure they stay unelected". Hmmmmm

Could be the idiots got elected because they were the best idiot, from either party.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jun 2 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

My sense is you are 100% correct. The underlying problem has little to do with party affiliation. Unqualified candidates come in various sizes, shapes and colors. My concern is the uneducated and otherwise unqualified candidates who sneak into office merely under a particular party banner. We, as voters, need to use a bit more common sense and not believe the party leaders who slate candidates who might very well be uneducated, unqualified, mentally unstable or suffer from flaws in moral character.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 2 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jun 2 2010, 09:04 AM) *

We, as voters, need to use a bit more common sense and not believe the party leaders who slate candidates who might very well be uneducated, unqualified, mentally unstable or suffer from flaws in moral character.

Agreed, and I'd suggest this isn't only on the local level.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Jun 2 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

This appears to be true at the local, state as well as at the national level. Sadly, I believe this is why only 15% to 20% of the registered voters turn out for primary elections. 15% to 20% of the registered voters – not of the general population meaning thousands of people simply never registered to vote. It appears as though our elected officials are not in office to serve the public interest but rather are in office to advance their own agendas or personal interests/ fortunes. I’m not certain what the solution is.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 3 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #9

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Jun 2 2010, 07:53 PM) *

This appears to be true at the local, state as well as at the national level. Sadly, I believe this is why only 15% to 20% of the registered voters turn out for primary elections. 15% to 20% of the registered voters – not of the general population meaning thousands of people simply never registered to vote. It appears as though our elected officials are not in office to serve the public interest but rather are in office to advance their own agendas or personal interests/ fortunes. I’m not certain what the solution is.

You couldn't have said that better. I don't believe that statement applies to ALL of our elected officials... I believe there are good people out there and they do have our community's best interests at heart, but there are not many of them, and they are being over-shadowed by the ones who fit in the above statement.

*sigh*

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 3 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

One of the problems is that having the skills to get elected to an office does not necessarily mean that one has the skills to properly execute the duties of that office.

I have no idea how to solve that problem. I'd vote for someone who does, though!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:34 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com