Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would You Consider Another Female Mayor?, More Intriguign Questions
Homey
post Nov 30 2008, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

I remember the flak Sheila Brillson got during her reign as Mayor. Was it because she was a female? Was it some bad feelings for some odd reason?

If another female ran for Mayor of M.C...would you vote for her because she was a female? Would you vote against her for the same reason? Or does it matter?

What would you like to see in a new Mayor.

The reason I'm putting this out there is because the Mayor of M.C. will have to choose shortly if he will run again. This will leave the playing field wide open. I wonder if we will see a resurgence of the Republican party? Hummmm?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 30 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I could care less what sex our next mayor is, and I don't buy that Brillson got flack simply because of her sex. By that logic, Oberlie should be getting less flack, and I feel he is getting plenty.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 30 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I don't know about that. I remember a derogatory term used...Queen Sheila being used on a daily basis. What is Chuck's logo? I also remember the constant barrage of negative comments no matter what she did.

Like I said, I don't get channel 99, so I don't hear negative comments being made by the local weirdo's....so somebody enlighten me. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 30 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I'm wondering whose platform you're trying to put together. Between this topic, and the other one you put out there (What would you do if you were Mayor?), it's got my curiosity piqued.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 30 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

JHeath..I'm just wondering what the population of the city would embrace? I know the current Mayor has to decide soon if he will run again for Mayor. I'm just wondering if anyone has a problem with another female Mayor? IMHO...I think a female does one hell of a job....I wouldn't mind running myself...but I couldn't take the day to day hit.
Platform? I don't get the question. I'm just tossing out hypothetical questions.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Nov 30 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 30 2008, 09:43 PM) *

JHeath..I'm just wondering what the population of the city would embrace? I know the current Mayor has to decide soon if he will run again for Mayor. I'm just wondering if anyone has a problem with another female Mayor? IMHO...I think a female does one hell of a job....I wouldn't mind running myself...but I couldn't take the day to day hit.
Platform? I don't get the question. I'm just tossing out hypothetical questions.

With the conclusion of the historical Presidential election, including the primary. Starting with Hillary Clinton winning the State of Indiana in the primary and finishing with the United States electing an African American as our leader for the first time in history. Obama winning the State of Indiana as well as LaPorte County I am sorry but I find your hypothetical questions demeaning and a bit of a slap in the face of Michigan City. I may not be politically correct in saying I would not consider race or sex when casting my vote,but I would consider compassion, common sense and intelligence
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 1 2008, 07:13 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 30 2008, 09:21 PM) *

I don't know about that. I remember a derogatory term used...Queen Sheila being used on a daily basis. What is Chuck's logo? I also remember the constant barrage of negative comments no matter what she did.

Like I said, I don't get channel 99, so I don't hear negative comments being made by the local weirdo's....so somebody enlighten me. smile.gif

Well I don't think Mayor Oberlie has a nickname that I know of, but I could be missing it too. The whole "queen" thing is totally overrated, and an easy copout, if you really want to tag someone, make it a good one! cool.gif

And as for the last line, there are plenty of comments made by us local weirdo's. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 30 2008, 09:00 PM) *
I could care less what sex our next mayor is, and I don't buy that Brillson got flack simply because of her sex. By that logic, Oberlie should be getting less flack, and I feel he is getting plenty.

I could not care less about the Mayor's sex. Can anyone make an argument that that makes one scintilla of difference? Like I have put into enk before, the City and County need new blood in the halls of leadership, and man or woman is the last consideration, if it even needs to be considered.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Dec 1 2008, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I wasn't living here for most of Brillson's time so I have some questions.

1) Was she the mayor who negotiated the deal of the Blue Chip coming to town?

2) Didn't she leave office before her term was up?

3) Didn't she move away from her beloved Michigan City to about as far away as you can while still being in the continental U.S.?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #10

Yes, yes, and yes. Again, tho', does her sex matter in any of that?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 1 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 10

In a way, I think it did have a little to do with it. Some of the things she did were petty and VERY female. Example, she didn't like the ambulances blowing their sirens past her house on Wabash and (IIRC) tried to have (or possibly did) an ordinance passed that sirens couldn't be blown after 10 pm--or something along those lines. Also, she didn't like the train whistles and tried to get that stopped as well. As a Mayor overall, I don't think she did too bad of a job. Like I said, there were some really petty battles she took on, but over all she wasn't too bad. I have nothing against females in politics, and if I were a Michigan City resident and could vote, Joie Winsky would have my vote hands down. I hope she considers running again.

Oh, and to answer the question about a nickname for the current Mayor, Roger is very fond of Oh! No-berlie, but that is the only one I've ever heard

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #12

Oh, NO!-berlie has earned the opprobium on his own merits, and assuredly not because of his sex.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Dec 1 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 1 2008, 10:03 AM) *
Yes, yes, and yes. Again, tho', does her sex matter in any of that?

You're right, sex has nothing to do with any of those, I was just asking.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I'm guessing there are rocks that haven't been turned over which need to be. Fact #3 raises some eyebrows, doesn't it?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:10 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com