> Asteroid might hit Mars
Southsider2k12
post Dec 21 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci...=la-home-center

Researchers say the object, about 160 feet across, has an unusually good chance of plowing into the planet Jan. 30.
By John Johnson Jr., Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 21, 2007

Talk about your cosmic pileups.

An asteroid similar to the one that flattened forests in Siberia in 1908 could plow into Mars next month, scientists said Thursday.

Researchers attached to NASA's Near-Earth Object Program, who sometimes jokingly call themselves the Solar System Defense Team, have been tracking the asteroid since its discovery in late November.

The scientists, at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in La CaƱada Flintridge, put the chances that it will hit the Red Planet on Jan. 30 at about 1 in 75.

A 1-in-75 shot is "wildly unusual," said Steve Chesley, an astronomer with the Near-Earth Object office, which routinely tracks about 5,000 objects in Earth's neighborhood.

"We're used to dealing with odds like one-in-a-million," Chesley said. "Something with a one-in-a-hundred chance makes us sit up straight in our chairs."

The asteroid, designated 2007 WD5, is about 160 feet across, which puts it in the range of the space rock that exploded over Siberia. That explosion, the largest impact event in recent history, felled 80 million trees over 830 square miles.

The Tunguska object broke up in midair, but the Martian atmosphere is so thin that an asteroid would probably plummet to the surface, digging a crater half a mile wide, Chesley said.

The impact would probably send dust high into the atmosphere, scientists said. Depending on where the asteroid hit, such a plume might be visible through telescopes on Earth, Chesley said.

The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which is mapping the planet, would have a front-row seat. And NASA's two JPL-built rovers, Opportunity and Spirit, might be able to take pictures from the ground.

Because scientists have never observed an asteroid impact -- the closest thing being the 1994 collision of comet Shoemaker-Levy with Jupiter -- such a collision on Mars would produce a "scientific bonanza," Chesley said.

The asteroid is now behind the moon, he said, so it will be almost two weeks before observers can plot its course more accurately.

The possibility of an impact has the Solar System Defense Team excited.

"Normally, we're rooting against the asteroid," when it has Earth in its cross hairs, Chesley said. "This time we're rooting for the asteroid to hit."

john.johnson@latimes.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Dec 23 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Now, what I think would be cool in a astronomical fireworks kind of way, would be if this asteroid were to collide with one of Mars' moons, Phobos or Diemos. Both of them are in low orbits, and rather small as moons go, and the collision could be enough to actually knock them down into Mars. That would be a pretty big boom!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 23 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Just incidentally, Mars is the closest to Earth it will be until 2016. Look to the East an hour after sunset. Mars will be the brightest thing in the sky, after the Moon. Indeed, it will be just following the Moon tonight. Tomorrow night Mars will be just leading the Moon. Mars is the Fire Planet--yet we call it the Red Planet. However, if you make a fire outdoors and note the color, you will notice it is the color of Mars.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 23 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

I saw that tonite! Night skies in Wyoming are very clear since we don't have as much pollution, and we are several thousand feet closer to it than you guys. Anyway, I was outside just before sunset. The moon and mars were AMAZING!! My sister and I were in awe of it and we just stood outside looking at it for about 10 minutes (all the while freezing our tooshies off!).

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 24 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Dave @ Dec 23 2007, 03:31 PM) *

Now, what I think would be cool in a astronomical fireworks kind of way, would be if this asteroid were to collide with one of Mars' moons, Phobos or Diemos. Both of them are in low orbits, and rather small as moons go, and the collision could be enough to actually knock them down into Mars. That would be a pretty big boom!

I remember the Shoemaker/Jupiter collision and it was an incredible site. I wonder if there could be any problems on earth from an impact on Mars?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 24 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

I was curious about that as well.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:53 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com