IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marquette boys basketball wins regional!!!
Southsider2k12
post Mar 21 2014, 10:07 AM
Post #21

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Mar 21 2014, 10:15 AM) *

No disrespect to Doug Adams but things have changed considerably since he was coach. Under the current set of circumstances I don't believe he would have had the same success. Vouchers causing kids to leave for other schools, sectionals out of town and schools all the same size or bigger than your school. I believe he still would have been successful but no way would he have ripped off 30+ sectional titles in a row.

He cleaned up against no sectional competition for years.

Winning sectional today is about like making it to Semi-State back in the 1960's. Someone posted a list of the 1962 sectionals on facebook a while back. About a dozen of the schools were so small they either consolidated or closed. The only ones I recognized from today were Westville and LaPorte. The rest were smaller than Westville.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 21 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #22

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Mar 20 2014, 07:02 AM) *

It sure would have been nice to have Reed and Mitchell to help City get to Regionals...
You probably felt the same way when Carlos McCormick transferred to Bowman a about five years ago or when Darius Jenkins transferred to Merrillville.

I attended the school board meeting last Wednesday. Dr. Botana gave a presentation regarding our declining enrollment. He stated that he had no idea why parents are transferring students from publics schools to parochial and charter schools. One gentlemen got up and spoke during public comment and simply told the board they able to do it because they can.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Mar 22 2014, 01:41 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

MARQUETTE IS GOING TO THE STATE FINALS!!!!!
smile.gif

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 22 2014, 06:42 PM
Post #24

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Mar 22 2014, 02:41 PM) *

MARQUETTE IS GOING TO THE STATE FINALS!!!!!
smile.gif

9:30 AM (Michigan City time) 1A Barr-Reeve VS. Michigan City Marquette Catholic @ Banker's Life Fieldhouse in downtown Indinapolis

Had a great day in Lafayette. Going to start making my itinerary to attend the state finals next Saturday. GO BLAZERS!!!
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 22 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,288

From News Dispatch -

MARQUETTE MADNESS

Photo by Aaron McKrell Marquette's Tyshaun Smallwood is hugged by his uncle, Mitchell Rose, following Saturday's win over Liberty Christian in the Lafayette Jefferson Semi-State.

Blazers defeats Liberty Christian to advance to school's first state championship appearance.

By CARRON J. PHILLIPS
Staff Writer

Published: Saturday, March 22, 2014 4:57 PM CDT

LAFAYETTE, Ind. - If basketball doesn't work out for Braxton Miller, he may have a future as a fortune teller.

The Marquette guard has predicted the the team's last three playoff wins hours before each game.

"It's just something that I've been feeling," Miller said. "I'm feeling really good about the game of basketball right now, so you can't really blame me."

The Blazers defeated Liberty Christian 72-61 in a game that was back-and-forth during the first half at Lafayette Jefferson High School.

The first 16 minutes included eight ties and four lead changes.

The Blazers (20-6) came out firing early, and started the game on an 8-2 run. But after the Lions (20-7) settled down, the score was tied at 17 after the first quarter. Marquette would pull way by two at the end of the first half, and headed to the locker room with a 35-33 lead.

However, there was an air of uncertainty around how the Blazers would perform down the stretch. Star forward Ryan Fazekas left the game during the second quarter after taking a shot to the stomach, and his return was questionable.

Fazekas quickly answered all questions about his health and his determination when he had a hand in every play on both ends of the floor during the first two minutes of the second half. During that stretch, Marquette would open the half on a 9-1 run.

"It was an elbow to the rib, and it was just hurting really bad," Fazekas said. "There was nothing that was going to keep me from coming back and helping my team. I just wasn't going to let it happen, so I came back to contribute. I did what I needed to do."

The Blazers clamped down in the third quarter, and held the Lions to 11 points. They also focused on rebounding. Marquette was out rebounded 23-18 during the first half, but would flip that margin to 27-18 during the final two quarters.

The Marquette frontcourt of Fazekas, Tyshaun Smallwood, JoVonte Peals and Malcolm Reed accounted for 19 of those rebounds.

"Tyshaun and JoVonte are obviously the unsung heroes of this team," Miller said. "They are doing all the nitty-gritty stuff that no one wants to do, but they finish it out for us. They're why we've been winning games by this many points."

After the game, Marquette coach Donovan Garletts praised the play of his backcourt, but gave a majority of the credit to his big men.

"Our guard play is absolutely key to any game, because once we get a lead we can control the tempo and the basketball," Garletts said. "But really, the inside play from Malcolm Reed, Tyshaun (Smallwood) and JoVonte (Peal) were huge tonight. They got a lot of big boards, and we were able to beat them on the boards. That was an important factor in the game."

Franklin Nunn led the way for Liberty Christian, scoring a game-high 20 points. Ben Bowen had 12, and Chris Nunn scored 11. The Marquette defense held Liberty Christian to 35-percent shooting from the field, and just 23-percent from 3-point land.

As usual, Marquette's offense was led by a balanced scoring attack. Four starters scored in double figures for the Blazers. Fazekas finished with 15, and senior point guard Richard Mitchell also had 15, including going 9-of-11 from the free throw line. Braxton Miller had 12, and Nate Flores had 11.

"We have a lot of guys on our team that I would label as consistent," Garletts said. "We don't have any guys that go off the charts for one game, or are terrible. They're all just pretty consistent, and I think that shows a lot about a successful team."

Marquette will now face Barr-Reeve (26-1) in the Class A State Championship game in Indianapolis next Saturday at 9:30 a.m.

"It's crazy and such a good feeling," Miller said. "I'm so excited to play on that Bankers Life Fieldhouse floor."

Reach assistant sports editor Carron J. Phillips at cphillips@thenewsdispatch.com or (219) 874-7211, ext 461. Follow him on Twitter @carronJphillips.

Marquette 72, Liberty Christian 61

Marquette (20-6)

Mitchell 3-8 9-11 15, Miller 4-11 2-2 12, Reed 1-3 1-2 3, Flores 4-9 2-4 11, Peals 4-7 0-0 8, Smallwood 3-6 2-2 8, Fazekas 5-17 5-5 15. Totals 24-61 21-26 72.

Liberty Christian (20-7)

Watkins 0-1 0-0 0, Quinn 2-13 2-2 6, Hyatt 1-6 0-0 2, Nunn 4-10 3-4 11, Bowen 5-9 0-0 12, Gibbs 1-6 0-0 2, Nunn 8-20 4-6 20, Phillips 3-3 0-0 8. Totals 24-68 9-12 61.

Marquette 17` 18` 16` 21` -72

Liberty Christian 17` 16` 11` 17` - 61

3-point Shooting - Marquette 3-14 (Mitchell 0-1, Miller 2-5, Flores 1-3, Fazekas 0-5), Liberty Christian 4-17 (Watkins 0-1, Quinn 0-6, Nunn 0-2, Bowen 2-4, Nunn 0-2, Phillips 2-2)

Rebounding - Marquette 45 (Mitchell 3, Miller 2, Reed 5, Hall 1, Flores 4, Peals 4, Smallwood 5, Fazekas 5), Liberty Christian 41 (Quinn 3, Hyatt 4, Tufts 1, Nunn 5, Bowen 3, Gibbs 2, Nunn 7, Phillips 2)

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 23 2014, 11:57 AM
Post #26

Really Comfortable

Decided to stay home and watch IHSAA state finals on TV via the internet. First off all hotel rooms in downtown Indy are booked solid this weekend because in addition to IHSAA state finals at Banker's Life Fieldhouse the NCAA men's basketball Midwest regionals are taking place at Lucas Oil Stadium at the same time.

I'm looking at $80.00 in gas down to Indy and back up to Michigan City, $90.00 in tickets for me and two youngsters, $150.00 in food (teenage boys eat like thoroughbred horses), $200.00 for two nights hotel on the outskirts of Indy and $22.00 parking in downtown Indy. Money doesn't grow on trees.
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 24 2014, 06:49 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 1,288

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 23 2014, 11:57 AM) *

Decided to stay home and watch IHSAA state finals on TV via the internet. First off all hotel rooms in downtown Indy are booked solid this weekend because in addition to IHSAA state finals at Banker's Life Fieldhouse the NCAA men's basketball Midwest regionals are taking place at Lucas Oil Stadium at the same time.

I'm looking at $80.00 in gas down to Indy and back up to Michigan City, $90.00 in tickets for me and two youngsters, $150.00 in food (teenage boys eat like thoroughbred horses), $200.00 for two nights hotel on the outskirts of Indy and $22.00 parking in downtown Indy. Money doesn't grow on trees.

10:30 AM EST start doesn't make it any easier either.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 24 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #28

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 23 2014, 12:57 PM) *

Tickets are always really easy to get for the morning session.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 24 2014, 10:00 AM
Post #29

Really Comfortable

If I was going I would also want to watch Bowman in 3A and Lake Central in 4A. Going to be much easier and far less expensive to stay home and watch on TV.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 27 2014, 02:11 PM
Post #30

Really Comfortable

Drove up Franklin St. this afternoon. Only other establishments showing any kind of support for Marquette becides McDonald's are Holly's restaurant and St. Stan's church.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 15 2015, 04:09 AM
Post #31

Really Comfortable

If anybody in interested.

Marquette won back to back regional championships last night.

Blazers will now have a rematch from last year against Liberty Christian in the Lafayette Semi-State.

Also next year Marquette bumps up to class 2A at least for the next two seasons under the IHSAA tradition factor rule.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 21 2015, 12:33 PM
Post #32

Really Comfortable

Michigan City Marquette wins back to back 1A semi-states. Will be a rematch with Barr-Reeve in the state finals next Saturday.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Mar 21 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 21 2015, 01:33 PM) *

Michigan City Marquette wins back to back 1A semi-states. Will be a rematch with Barr-Reeve in the state finals next Saturday.

Should be another great game - like last year.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 21 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #34

Really Comfortable

Here is a link to a replay of the today's game. The fourth quarter was really exciting.

http://new.livestream.com/mtcsportsnetwork/events/3854401
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:10 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com