taxthedeer
post Oct 29 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

http://fox59.com/2014/10/29/convicted-purd...dead-in-prison/

Convicted Purdue shooter Cody Cousins found dead in prison

Posted 11:39 AM, October 29, 2014, by Matt Adams - Web Producer, Updated at 12:22pm, October 29, 2014)

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. (Oct. 29, 2014) – The man who killed Purdue University student Andrew Boldt committed suicide in prison, his attorney said.

Cody Cousins, 24, was sentenced to 65 years for Boldt’s murder on Sept. 19. He killed himself at the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City. His attorney, Kirk Freeman, said he was alerted earlier Wednesday morning. Freeman reiterated what he said during Cousins’ trial–that Cousins was “so sick he didn’t know how sick he was.”

According to the Department of Correction, Cousins was found unresponsive in his cell during a routine security check Tuesday night. Staff tried to revive him but couldn’t. Cousins had cut his neck and arms, investigators said. He was pronounced dead at 9:20 p.m. Tuesday. An autopsy is pending.

DOC said Cousins arrived at the Indiana State Prison on Oct. 23 and was on a unit for new arrivals. His estimated release date was July 22, 2046. His death is being investigated by the prison’s Internal Affairs Office and the LaPorte County Coroner’s Office.

In August, Cousins pleaded guilty in the Jan. 21, 2014, shooting that killed Boldt in Purdue’s Electrical Engineering Building.

Friends of victim and suspect in disbelief following fatal shooting at Purdue University
Andrew Boldt
During his trial in September, prosecutors argued that Cousins was envious of Boldt. Cousins later shocked the entire courtroom when he said, “I killed Andrew Boldt because I wanted to. I do what I want and deal with the consequences later.”

Cousins had filed a notice that he planned to use the insanity defense, and mental health experts testified that Cousins, who’d struggled with addiction, was bipolar.

A pathologist, Dr. Elmo Griggs, testified that Cousins shot Boldt five times and stabbed him 19 times. Griggs called it the “worst homicide I have ever seen.”

Judge Thomas Busch rejected a guilty but mentally ill ruling, saying Boldt’s killing was a “violent action” and a “crime of terror.”

Purdue University declined to comment on Cousins’ death.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:05 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com