Southsider2k12
post Feb 15 2008, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=34720.34

Flying Success, Soloing On
Michigan City Airport Manager Brian Payne moves to facility in southern Indiana.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Within months, the terminal at Michigan City Municipal Airport will be replaced by a larger, more efficient stopover for pilots and home for airport officials.

As is, it's a small, old house barely allowing room for offices and bathrooms.

And in a couple years, officials hope the airport's runway will be lengthened to accommodate bigger planes.

But the man who spearheaded both efforts won't be around to see the fruits of his labor.

Municipal Airport Director Brian Payne left Michigan City this week to take a similar job in French Lick, Ind., about 250 miles south of Michigan City. It's a larger airport that sits closer to the southern Indiana towns he and his wife grew up in.

"It was location more than anything," Payne said. "But it's also a step up. The airport's runway is longer by about 25 percent and it's just the right step." Airport officials have interviewed four candidates but won't be making any offers soon, Airport Board member Tom Ringo said. He said the board doesn't feel like it's found the right person for the job.

Ringo said the city will miss Payne's contributions to the airport.

"But we also recognize that airports like ours are entry-level jobs. Brian desires to be an airport manager his whole career," Ringo said. "With an opportunity to move along to where he could be at a major airport sometime, he has to take that opportunity."

Payne said the French Lick job allows him to manage a larger airport with more traffic that Michigan City Municipal desires.

He will, however, be disappointed he won't get to see his work here come to fruition.

"I spent the last six or nine months doing the terminal building. It's my baby," he said. "I had a pretty good run; got a lot accomplished. It's disappointing that I'll miss that stuff, but they'll still move on just fine."

Mayor Chuck Oberlie said Monday the city will miss Payne.

"It's a tremendous loss. He's a very talented young man," Oberlie said. "I'm quite certain we'll see him managing a much larger airport in the future. He exemplifies what our role is in developing administrative leaders in Michigan City."

Last year, under Payne's leadership, the Indiana Aviation Association named Michigan City Municipal Airport the Airport of the Year.

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:57 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com