Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...3f818756021.txt

Major changes in the works for MCAS handbook

By Amanda Jacobson
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Michigan City Area Schools students and parents may soon see changes to expectations regarding behavior and conduct.

The MCAS board discussed major changes Tuesday night to its Student/Parent Handbook & Code of Responsible Behavior.

A presentation by Assistant Superintendent Carla Iacona laid out the specific actions taken by her committee to revise a more than six-year-old handbook regarding student and parent conduct on school premises.

Changes made to the handbook reflected the new systems of Positive Behavior Support and Response to Instruction – two research-based processes linked to academic and behavioral success – which the schools are now implementing.

Iacona said the committee determined the old code was not student- or parent-friendly and did not agree with the positive approach to behavioral conduct that PBS and RTI aim to achieve.

The code now contains more action-specific levels of behavioral offenses, including three categories of actions that are considered irresponsible on the student’s behalf.

Level One behaviors, for example, include anything from academic dishonesty to littering, and can be dealt with by one or a combination of responses.

The committee stressed that any violation of school behavioral code first will be dealt with by informing the student of his/her violation. Based on the student response, a decision will be made by the faculty on how to proceed with consequences of the action based on an outline in the handbook.

Definitions of different types of behavior such as arson, extortion and battery were streamlined in the new version presented to the board to be more easily interpreted by students and parents.

Iacona set a goal for the handbook to be finalized and approved by June 28 so students and parents can receive copies at class registration in August.

Committee member and Niemann Elementary faculty member Marsha Tappan said Niemann students have responded well to the PBS system, and feels it encourages peer support systems in elementary and secondary school. She feels the newly revised handbook will help increase the success of those students already working with PBS.

“It is a very proactive, positive framework and approach to behavior and discipline rather than a punitive approach,” Tappan said.

Tappan said when students comply with the PBS approach and new code, they receive extra computer time, small rewards like pencils or stickers, or other special recognition to encourage consistently good behavior.

At the high school level, Pam Upp of Michigan City High School explained the need for parents to remain informed about their students’ academic progress reports, grades and attendance.

Upp also noted additions to the handbook such as parent teacher conference information and regulations for social events like school dances.

Board Member Beth Pishkur questioned the policy regarding cell phone usage in area schools, and saw room for improvement in the code’s language, which she said was vague and somewhat confusing.

Another comment from Board Member Beryle Burgwald addressed that consequences for behavioral problems could be misinterpreted or even downplayed by faculty in cases of serious, Level 3 offenses according to the language of the new code.

Iacona said teachers must use their own discretion when responding to a student’s infraction and determine appropriate consequences based on the disciplinary guidelines the new code provides.

Some highlights of the new code are an Alternative to Expulsion program at MCHS, a more closely monitored emergency closings system for the MCAS Transportation Department and a greater emphasis on the Dress for Success dress code program for all school levels.

The new code of student and parent behavior will not receive a vote until the board’s next meeting on June 28.

Other items on the board’s agenda included the ratification of the contract with Michigan City Classified Association, which represents bus drivers and maintenance and food service staff.

The contract will provide MCCA members with paid time off, longevity pay and a quicker way to investigate work-related issues.

The board unanimously approved the contract. Also unanimously approved was the adoption of textbooks for science, math and health departments of MCAS.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 16 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

Iacona said teachers must use their own discretion when responding to a student’s infraction and determine appropriate consequences based on the disciplinary guidelines the new code provides.

Leaving it up to the teachers? Ummmm....That's not always a good idea......

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jun 16 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,048

Teachers are on the front line of discipline, but also are the people that most know the kids. We are the ones who can temper discipline, by knowing our students, and knowing when to ease up or send a message. Teachers should always be able to use their discretion in enforcing discipline policies, as should other school employees.

I think this was more a comment on "discipline isn't cut and dried" more than anything. And Ang, you always talk about your time working at MCAS... don't you think there were times where you would make decisions about students based on what you knew about them?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 17 2011, 09:25 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jun 16 2011, 06:30 PM) *

Teachers are on the front line of discipline, but also are the people that most know the kids. We are the ones who can temper discipline, by knowing our students, and knowing when to ease up or send a message. Teachers should always be able to use their discretion in enforcing discipline policies, as should other school employees.

I think this was more a comment on "discipline isn't cut and dried" more than anything. And Ang, you always talk about your time working at MCAS... don't you think there were times where you would make decisions about students based on what you knew about them?

That's exactly my point. I had no part of discipline or decision making when it came to students at all, however--and please don't think anything I say is intended to mean ALL teachers--I have seen how children are treated differently for similar infractions based on the teacher's feelings for that individual child. A certain math teacher had a student that he did not like. One day that student was applying carmex and the teacher didn't like that fact that she was doing that. Ultimately he confiscated the carmex and the student was sent to the auditorium. (this I know for a fact because the carmex was mine). Three days later, another student was using a mirror to apply lip gloss in the same classroom, but she was a better student and so it was allowed by that same teacher. Now, what kind of message does that send?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 17 2011, 10:25 AM) *

That's exactly my point. I had no part of discipline or decision making when it came to students at all, however--and please don't think anything I say is intended to mean ALL teachers--I have seen how children are treated differently for similar infractions based on the teacher's feelings for that individual child. A certain math teacher had a student that he did not like. One day that student was applying carmex and the teacher didn't like that fact that she was doing that. Ultimately he confiscated the carmex and the student was sent to the auditorium. (this I know for a fact because the carmex was mine). Three days later, another student was using a mirror to apply lip gloss in the same classroom, but she was a better student and so it was allowed by that same teacher. Now, what kind of message does that send?

The same problems exists with the assistant principals as well, both within those staff members, and how they treat different individuals.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather see things being done by the actual discipline staff so that teachers can teach.
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Jun 17 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,048

If you don't have an opportunity to manage your classroom... you're sunk with the kids. smile.gif

I think we're just discussing different definitions of "discipline".

And, in response to your earlier, Ang.. I wouldn't give a kid Carmex for starts. Second, I know some teachers are inconsistent.. just like everyone else in every profession. But ruling out teachers as disciplinarians, or as the "kings/queens of their castle" really cuts their legs out from under them. If a student knows that a teacher has no ability to enforce a consequence, they have more incentive to act foolish.

We call it the 95/5 rule as teachers: 95% of our time gets spent on 5% of our students. Sometimes, if you can just remove that student from the situation, it improves EVERYTHING for the other students.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:23 PM) *

If you don't have an opportunity to manage your classroom... you're sunk with the kids. smile.gif

And, in response to your earlier, Ang.. I wouldn't give a kid Carmex for starts. Second, I know some teachers are inconsistent.. just like everyone else in every profession. But ruling out teachers as disciplinarians, or as the "kings/queens of their castle" really cuts their legs out from under them. If a student knows that a teacher has no ability to enforce a consequence, they have more incentive to act foolish.

We call it the 95/5 rule as teachers: 95% of our time gets spent on 5% of our students. Sometimes, if you can just remove that student from the situation, it improves EVERYTHING for the other students.

I don't argue with that at all. One thing I learned in my two months running a classroom is that the class had to know who was in charge, or you weren't getting anywhere.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 21 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Jun 17 2011, 03:23 PM) *

The student was a relative of mine, thus I gave her some carmex because she had severely chapped lips. I would never just arbitrarily give a student something like that. No offense, but this is another example of judging without all the facts. You make a remark to me like that, "I would never...." but you don't know the circumstances under which I did what I did. If it was just some random student, I would have told them to ask a friend or something, but this was my cousin's daughter.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 30 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #9

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...45028590623.txt

School board OKs parent-student handbook changes

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — The Michigan City Area Schools board on Tuesday night approved a change in the parent/student handbook for the 2011-2012 school year that creates action-specific levels of behavioral offenses.

The final vote during the second reading was 4-2 in favor, with board members Beryle Burgwald and Beth Pishkur dissenting. Board president Jim Kintzele Sr., along with board members Donald Dulaney, Dr. Vidya Kora and Jeffrey Jones, provided the majority vote.

Board secretary William Greene was absent from the meeting.

Assistant Superintendent Carla Iacona, who retires Thursday, presented the planned changes at the board’s previous meeting. At the board’s request, changes were made that include the addition of a cover letter that discusses the changes.

Click here to find out more!
“Our committee also wrote and addressed issues with the Department of Education,” Iacona said. “We have now aligned ourselves with the DOE requirements.”

Burgwald voiced concerns that some offenses, such as theft, would not be met with expulsion each time.

“I wonder if the new way it is structured gives too much leeway,” he said.

Iacona did say that “the possibility of expulsion is always there based on the student’s behavioral history.”

Pishkur’s concern was that the new plan allows students to carry cell phones in their pockets, as opposed to the current plan that requires them to leave the devices in their lockers.

“They are going to be able to use them more often, and who is to say someone wouldn’t be able to cheat on a test using them,” she said.

Iacona said the new handbooks will be printed in early August.

The handbook presentation was Iacona’s final as assistant superintendent as she will retire Thursday.

“I hate to see her go,” Burgwald said at the start of the meeting. “She was working with us down in the trenches when the board was in a financial crisis.”

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:24 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com