Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things everyone must do in Michigan City, We're WAY past 10
Southsider2k12
post Mar 24 2008, 07:31 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I thought it would be fun to get away from the negative things going on around town, and try something new and positive. What I hope I see is people taking turns giving their thoughts on what every Cityzen of Michigan City should experience at least once in their lifetimes here. It can be anything, as long as it is positive. I started out with 10 things, but if we can get more than that, we will keep going as long as the thread allows.

I'll even start out...

#1 Going out into Washington Park to view the Lighthouse catwalk after a series of cold, windy, snowy days. The ice frozen onto the pier and driven into the sands just make a picture-esque opportunity, unique amongst most of the world for its view.

#2 The Drum & Bugle show at Ames Field. This show is amazing. The young people are so talented. Even my kids enjoy it

#3 Visit the Library. It is the most lively and interesting place in the golden triangle. There is no charge. It is an amazing architectural experience. It is a common ground for all people to mingle, regardless of race, creed, social or economic status. It contains the wisdom of the ages. It is an easy bicycle or bus destination from almost anywhere in MC. Enjoy it while it lasts.

#4 Climb Mount Baldy...or at least go visit. We're so fortunate to have this beautiful creation in our backyard. Personally, I can't wait to take my kids out there this spring and summer.

#5 spend the day catching Jumbo Lake perch and fryng em up as soon as you get back.

#6. Stroll the Friendship Gardens in late Spring

#7 Float on your back in Lake Michigan on a 90 degree day!

#8 Make the climb up to the top of the zoo observation tower the day after a nice strong rain. All of the smog and pollution are cleared out of the air and you can see for miles and miles.

#9 Go to the Michigan City Regional final at the Wolves Den. Only time of the year you get to see between 7,000-8,000 people in there at the same time. For sports fans, it doesn't get better than that.

#10 Cruise Washington Park for the Festival of Lights. Its got to be the best show in NW IN.

#11: Fireworks on the beach!

#11 1/2 Fireworks from a boat on the lake!

#12 Take a ride on the last InterUrban electric line train in the United States of America into Chicago and spend a day in one of the world-class cities in the country. Among the great things to do I would suggest a December day at the Museum of Science and Industry, a summer day in Millenium Park, or a day shopping the Magnificent Mile... all walking distance from train stops.

#13 Take the Barker Mansion tour around Christmas time. The place is just beautiful when done up.

This post has been edited by southsider2k7: Apr 17 2008, 01:31 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 24 2008, 11:16 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

#2 The Drum & Bugle show at Ames Field. This show is amazing. The young people are so talented. Even my kids enjoy it

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Ecotourist
post Mar 25 2008, 03:57 PM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 772

#3 Visit the Library. It is the most lively and interesting place in the golden triangle. There is no charge. It is an amazing architectural experience. It is a common ground for all people to mingle, regardless of race, creed, social or economic status. It contains the wisdom of the ages. It is an easy bicycle or bus destination from almost anywhere in MC. Enjoy it while it lasts.

+Quote Post
JHeath
post Mar 25 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

#4 Climb Mount Baldy...or at least go visit. We're so fortunate to have this beautiful creation in our backyard. Personally, I can't wait to take my kids out there this spring and summer. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Mar 25 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

#5 spend the day catching Jumbo Lake perch and fryng em up as soon as you get back.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Mar 25 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

#6. Stroll the Friendship Gardens in late Spring

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Mar 26 2008, 06:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

#7 Float on your back in Lake Michigan on a 90 degree day!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 27 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #8

#8 Make the climb up to the top of the zoo observation tower the day after a nice strong rain. All of the smog and pollution are cleared out of the air and you can see for miles and miles.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Mar 28 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

#9 Buy The News-Dispatch?

Just kidding ...

#9 Go to the Michigan City Regional final at the Wolves Den. Only time of the year you get to see between 7,000-8,000 people in there at the same time. For sports fans, it doesn't get better than that.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 31 2008, 01:17 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Mar 28 2008, 04:55 PM) *

I TOTALLY agree on this one!! Just be sure to get there early so you can get a parking spot.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 1 2008, 06:51 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 31 2008, 02:17 PM) *

I TOTALLY agree on this one!! Just be sure to get there early so you can get a parking spot.

I was trying to figure out how to work in an Elston/Rogers sellout and a trip to Oktoberfest into this, but for obvious reasons, I couldn't mad.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 1 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #12

I was thinking of Oktoberfest as well. Except it's not the same now that it's called Labor Dayz. I don't know why, but it just seems lame now.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 1 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 1 2008, 10:46 AM) *

I was thinking of Oktoberfest as well. Except it's not the same now that it's called Labor Dayz. I don't know why, but it just seems lame now.

Its not even close to the same. We went last year, and there was no one there, and no enthusiasm. When they had the fight over it, it killed it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 3 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #14

#10 Cruise Washington Park for the Festival of Lights. Its got to be the best show in NW IN.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 3 2008, 10:39 AM
Post #15

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 3 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 3 2008, 11:39 AM) *

#11 1/2 Fireworks from a boat on the lake!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 13 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #17

#12 Take a ride on the last interUrban electric line train in the United States of America into Chicago and spend a day in one of the world-class cities in the country. Among the great things to do I would suggest a December day at the Mueseum of Science and Industry, a summer day in Millenium Park, or a day shopping the Magnificent Mile... all walking distance from train stops.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 17 2008, 08:28 AM
Post #18

#13 Take the Barker Mansion tour around Christmas time. The place is just beautiful when done up.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 17 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 17 2008, 09:28 AM) *

I think it's beautiful year-round. But you're right, Christmas is always special there.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Apr 26 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

I know I'm late to the game, but as a newbie to town, I appreciate the advice on what to add to the to-do list. Does anyone have any additional suggestions for someone unfamiliar with the area?

QUOTE(Ecotourist @ Mar 25 2008, 04:57 PM) *

And thanks for the props for the library! I'm a librarian there, and it's always nice to hear or read good reports about it. Although I'm not sure what to think about the suggestion of its imminent demise.
unsure.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com