Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42168.14

5/14/2008 10:31:00 AM
Public Or Private? Depends On Your View
Dylan Buell
Marquette High School

High school now is more important to kids than ever. Much more is demanded of students, and more is expected of them. High school is a pivotal time for any teenager as a transition period between childhood and adulthood. Some of the best memories and closest friends are made in high school, and the four years spent at a high school can define a person's life.

So the question is, with high school such an important time, is it better to go to a public high school or a private high school? Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. In the end, it comes down to which setting will fit the student better.

Of course, the main difference between the two, as Abby Houck says, "There are a lot more people (at a public high school)." On average, public schools have around a 1,000 more kids than a private school. And as a public school, they receive funding from the government. Public school teachers also usually receive higher wages because of the funding.

Private schools have the advantage of being in a closer knit community. With only 200 kids at Marquette, all the students know each other. Not only that, but all the families know each other, too.

But what about the classes? "Private schools are harder," Damon Buell said. "They also sometimes have a harder grading scale."

I have been to both public and private schools, and private school classes are harder. However, public schools have a much higher variety of classes, which could swing the difference in a student's decision.

But school isn't all just about grades and classes. Which is more fun? Public schools have the benefit of having a lot more interesting classes and enough money to organize events, but private schools have a much more family feel. I know almost all of the 200 kids here, whereas I knew only about 150 of the 500 kids in eighth grade.

So in the end, which is better? It depends on what the student can handle. Private might be better for one student, and public another. For me, I liked the classes in public schools a lot more, but it couldn't beat the family atmosphere here. I guess that's why I kept coming back.

Dylan Buell, a senior at Maquette Catholic High School, is a student columnist for The News-Dispatch. Views expressed are the writer's, not necessarily the school's or the newspaper's.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 14 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I had to do a double take there -- Dylan Buell quoting Damon Buell in the article. Sibling? Cousin? As a stylistic point, it would be good for those folks, such as myself, who aren't part of the "Marquette family," for some identifiers to be used, e.g., "my brother Damon Buell, a junior at Marquette."

Perhaps it is a good thing I'm not a parent. The author of the article seems to be of the opinion that the children decide where they are going to school. If I was a parent I might allow my kids to believe that, but to quote our illustrious President, "I'm the decider." Certainly I would consider my kid's opinion, but he/she isn't doing the deciding.

And apparently one of the considerations the author doesn't mention is the cost factor, which for many families has to be significant.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 14 2008, 11:47 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

The writer does not touch on the quality of instruction, either. You may remember my question re my son going to MCHS (see old thread). He is there, doing very well. He said there are two myths which he has found to be false. He reports that the schoolwork is challenging (he is college prep/AP). Further, he says it is not dangerous, unless you are a jerk to people. I have heard that half a dozen freshmen from Marquette are gonna go to MCHS for the sophomore year.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:48 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com