> My thoughts on the bombing of Japan
Tim
post Aug 6 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

The ND story got me to thinking -

I join all in mourning the horrible losses at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But as terrible as those two days were it's a fact of history that, had those bombings not happened, the war would have dragged on potentially wiping out millions more. The horrors of the bombing serve as a stark reminder that atomic weapons should never again be used. But as a resident of Japan who loves this country very much I celebrate the millions who were spared by the war ending - many who are still here today working hard to make Japan a better place for their children - and generations beyond.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 7 2009, 03:37 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 7 2009, 12:10 AM) *

The ND story got me to thinking -

I join all in mourning the horrible losses at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But as terrible as those two days were it's a fact of history that, had those bombings not happened, the war would have dragged on potentially wiping out millions more. The horrors of the bombing serve as a stark reminder that atomic weapons should never again be used. But as a resident of Japan who loves this country very much I celebrate the millions who were spared by the war ending - many who are still here today working hard to make Japan a better place for their children - and generations beyond.

I would like to read more about your impressions of life in Japan. Our younger son-in-law's sister recently was transferred back to North America by the Wall Street Journal after spending years as a writer assigned in Tokyo; and I am part of a sister city relationship with a suburb of Tokyo but have yet to travel there although we have entertained visitors from there. Anyway can you tell more about life in Japan?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 7 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Hi Tom - nice to meet you! I'm out the door to work, but am of tomorrow so I'll respond then - T

*Now Monday*

Sorry I missed you yesterday, Tom - was busy doing nothing on a day off. laugh.gif I've lived in Japan almost 13 yeats now - and I love living here. The biggest difference, for me, is that I have never driven here. Not dealing with a car is heaven! Japanese people are quieter than Americans, I think. Like, they're very quiet when talking on a cell phone in public - while Aermicans I encounter while home seen to be screaming without a care into theirs. There's a very strong work ethic here - much like home, I guess. Hmmmm - ask me some questions!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 13 2009, 10:21 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

What is the weather/seasons like? Do you have winter when we have winter, etc?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 13 2009, 11:19 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 13 2009, 11:21 PM) *

What is the weather/seasons like? Do you have winter when we have winter, etc?

The weather is just the same as MC! Hot and sticky in the summer, beautiful fall, curse-inducung cold winter, glorious spring. When I lived in LA we practically didn't have seasons - but here it's just like home, except for nearly no snow in the winter.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 13 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #6

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I'll send you some of ours.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 14 2009, 05:36 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 7 2009, 04:34 PM) *

Hi Tom - nice to meet you! I'm out the door to work, but am of tomorrow so I'll respond then - T

*Now Monday*
Sorry I missed you yesterday, Tom - was busy doing nothing on a day off. laugh.gif I've lived in Japan almost 13 yeats now - and I love living here. The biggest difference, for me, is that I have never driven here. Not dealing with a car is heaven! Japanese people are quieter than Americans, I think. Like, they're very quiet when talking on a cell phone in public - while Aermicans I encounter while home seen to be screaming without a care into theirs. There's a very strong work ethic here - much like home, I guess. Hmmmm - ask me some questions!

I have helped host high school students from our sister city Tokorozawa, a suburb about a 30 minute train ride from Tokyo. Would you be familiar with that city? The students are quiet and well behaved. Several adults I know have gone there although we have yet to do so. However the Sister Cities program is a wonderful person-to-person program of peace and understanding established by President Eisenhower, and I have experienced four such trips to Eurpean and South American Sister Cities. Maybe when the economy turns we can involve Michigan City? Incidentally one can participate even though your city of residence is not in the program.

+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 14 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Aug 14 2009, 06:36 AM) *

I have helped host high school students from our sister city Tokorozawa, a suburb about a 30 minute train ride from Tokyo. Would you be familiar with that city? The students are quiet and well behaved. Several adults I know have gone there although we have yet to do so. However the Sister Cities program is a wonderful person-to-person program of peace and understanding established by President Eisenhower, and I have experienced four such trips to Eurpean and South American Sister Cities. Maybe when the economy turns we can involve Michigan City? Incidentally one can participate even though your city of residence is not in the program.

Wow - we have a sister city here? No, I do not know Tokorozawa - I'm on the other side of Japan. Japan is a beautiful country - I hope you get to visit someday!
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Aug 15 2009, 07:21 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 14 2009, 09:09 PM) *

Wow - we have a sister city here? No, I do not know Tokorozawa - I'm on the other side of Japan. Japan is a beautiful country - I hope you get to visit someday!

Maybe your Japanese community could be paired with Michigan City as Sister Cities? An entity need not be a city, it can be a region. Often in foreign countries the equivalent of a county is the local governmental unit. I do not know if that is the case in Japan. This starts with an exchange of letters of
intent between mayors or their equivalents, then formal organization. All Sister Cities are responsible for their fund raising but I have done that and it is not difficult given a "normal" economy. Anyone traveling under the program is responsible for travel costs but is usually hosted by a family at the other end. There are both cultural and economic development components of a Sister Cities pairing.

At the request of a Brazilian radio station involved with us in Sister Cities, we established an exchange of radio programs. We asked for Brazilian folk music and offered earlier recorded broadcasts of a municipal band. The Brazilians however wanted rock and roll, a little out of our area of interest but we arranged to get them what they wanted.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:18 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com