Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=31596.78

MCEA Slams School System
In reaction to an recent alleged poisoning attempt, association says MCAS is ‘not a safe environment for students or employees’ Friday.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Without offering details of a specific issue, Phyllis Stark, president of the Michigan City Education Association, on Friday issued a statement about student discipline.

"The MCEA believes this school system now is not a safe environment for students or employees," it read.

Stark would not comment on details about the apparent attempted poisoning of a teacher at the A.K. Smith Career Center. However, on Wednesday, Stark said the MCEA was conducting its own investigation into the incident.

On Oct. 26, Diane Britton, 48, a computer teacher at the A.K. Smith Area Career Center drank water from a bottle she had put on her desk. It may have been tainted with what has been described as a caustic substance that caused her lips and inside of her mouth to blister.

Michigan City police are investigating, but Britton has said the school administration has not been supportive.

The statement from the MCEA said, "For years, at least since the early 1990s, teachers, through the Michigan City Education Association, have been placing the issue of student discipline on building discussion agendas, system discussion agendas, negotiations agendas, and every other forum possible to try to get administrators to be serious about the out-of-control student discipline issue.

"This problem of 'out-of-control' student behavior is not unique to the community of Michigan City; student discipline is an issue that must be addressed by every school system in the country," said Stark in the statement. "What is unique, however, is the method by which the MCAS has chosen to address student discipline problems - ignore those problems and they'll go away.

"They have chosen to coddle, psychoanalyze, and grant last chance after last chance in an effort to not hurt anyone's feelings and to ensure that everyone graduates from high school at any cost."

Stark said it seems apparent to the union that the "chance after chance after chance model" is an effort to improve suspension and expulsion numbers for which the administration has been severely criticized.

"What teachers have been asking for is a 'get tough' approach, one that deals with discipline issues swiftly and severely," the statement said.

She said the union wants to get the message out that egregious behavior will not be tolerated and students will be held accountable for their behavior.

"This request has always fallen on deaf ears," said Stark. "The fallout from years of this approach has finally caught up with us. This year, school system employees have been spat upon, punched, and allegedly poisoned. Teachers have attempted to rectify this situation over the years by filing grievances, which have been won, but the behavior of administrators never changes: Ignore it and it will go away.

"The school system's employees are suffering from this gross negligence on the part of administrators, but what about the students who come to school to learn, behave, and get their education?" said Stark in the statement.

She said it is the union's view that students also suffer from "the extremely permissive system of allowing offenders to return to school over and over and over."

"It's time for every single person in this community to express their own feelings about the lack of discipline to Michael Harding, the superintendent of schools, and the Board of School Trustees," said Stark. "They have been elected to carry out the wishes of the community. Is it the wish of this community that bullies run our schools? We know it is not - and it's time to do something about it."

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #2

This one is getting instant reactions too... These are soundbacks from the ND.

Sound Off! entry by: Deb

MCEA Slams School System
This is the clearest statement I've heard in a long time that addresses the severe discipline issues within MCAS. Small wonder that so many of us have fled MCAS in search of a better, safer school system. I hope that the MCEA listens to and heeds this admonishment, but if past experience is any indicator, they probably won't. The days of plugging your ears, closing your eyes, and humming to block out the protests has to end.

Sound Off! entry by: tricia urycki

MCEA Slams School System
I must admit Ms. Stark you put it very well. We as parents say it's not okay for kids to bully our kids what makes it okay for bullies to run our schools. Furthermore what's being done about the "alleged poisioning" personally I don't think it's so "alleged" considering the teacher has the proof. It's just the fact that the student isn't owning up to doing it. I agree we need stiffer punishment. I've always said and I'll continue to say the sooner parents learn our school system isn't their babysitter the better off the students will be. Dicipline starts at home. I'm not saying beat your children but you do need to teach you're children right from wrong. You also need to pull the trouble making kids out the schools and put them in a school to themselves. Why make the kids that want to learn suffer???? It's not fair to them don't you think. We as registered voters have voted the school board in and if we aren't happy with their progress then let's vote them out and get an entire new school board in there that can do what we need them to do. Ms. Stark I'm up for you running for the school board next term. You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders.

Sound Off! entry by: Barry Young

MCEA Slams School System
This situation has been going on for way too long. It is time for criminal charges to be filed in these matters and also for the parents to be held criminally liable for the actions of their children under 18 years of age. Perhaps that will help wake up these parents and cause them to take some kind of a role in their kid's lives. A good education for 95% shouldn't be disrupted by the actions of 5%.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #3

Sound Off! entry by: Eric Hanke

MCEA Slams School System
It's not like they treat the parents of children in the MCAS or the children they are supposed to be educating any better. Children and staff at Pine Elementary School have been in a building for hours without water, electricity, phones, lights, etc. The parents receive little or no notification of what is going on in the building. And when we do ask we are given a cold shoulder by the school administration and treated like a criminal. With MRSA infections gleaming attention and the MCAS Administration stating that the students are washing their hands frequently, I would like to know how they are keeping sanitary conditions at a building with no water. Ms. Stark so eloquently makes her point. And I could not agree more. If the kids are not being responsible in class, they should be removed so the students that want to succeed can! Eric Hanke Parent of 3 MCAS Students

Sound Off! entry by: Jason

MCEA Slams School System
The problems in the MCAS are not new. The problems were at Elston before the merger and it is not a surprise that they are still present. I graduated from Rogers but had the pleasure of getting hit with a stun gun by a student at Elston. The teachers and students deserve a safe place to work and learn. Get rid of the problem people for the good of all.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #4

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41905.63

Principal Threatened

From Staff Reports

MICHIGAN CITY - Police were called to Elston Middle School, 317 Detroit St., at 1:15 p.m. Thursday by an assistant principal who reported being intimidated by a parent.

According to the principal, the mother of an Elston student became angry when told her 12-year-old son was being transferred to the Choice Program, an alternative school for problem students.

The boy's mother reportedly disagreed with the transfer and told the principal her son would be at Elston the next day. According to the police report, she began using vulgarity and profanity, then said, "You don't want me to come back here."

The principal asked her if that was a threat, and the mother reportedly replied, "It's a promise."

At that point, she was asked to leave the school. When she was told the police were being called, the mother said of the principal she would "kick his a-- in front of the police."

Another principal who witnessed the mother's behavior cleared children from the area. She was able to coax the woman to leave.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 12 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

How does one get to the sound off section? I don't see a link at the nd site

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 12 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 12 2007, 10:16 AM) *

How does one get to the sound off section? I don't see a link at the nd site

At the bottom of every news item, there is a section to complete for sound off. Even at the bottom of sound off there is a section to complete for it. Just scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the boxes to fill in.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 12 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42995.94

That will take you to the general sound off area...
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 12 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #8

oh, found it

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 13 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #9

Its kind of amazing, but I have yet to see a comment for the administration in this matter!

Sound Off! entry by: Laina

MCEA Slams School System
As a parent of 2 teens in MCAS I couldn't agree more. So much time is wasted each day from disturbances in the classroom. That equals our children being cheated out of a full day of learning. Everyone knows it's the same kids time after time causing these problems. The teachers can't handle these problems alone. The administration has to set tougher rules and stand by those rules. These need to be enforced for the sake of all the children who come to school and want to learn. And also for the teachers who are just trying to do their jobs.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 13 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #10

Our son is the first of our kids to go to MCAS in 12 years (!). He went to MCHS from Queens. So far, he has seen one near-fight, which was handled very quickly by the Algebra teacher, and got reports from a couple friends about a big hair-pulling meow-meow in the café. He says that hs is nearly always quite routine, the work is harder than reputed, and he is settling in. Maybe jr hi is different.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 13 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #11

Now the letters are hitting the Anvil Chorus. The first letter is from an MCAS employee. I give her credit for her boldness and lack of fear. She hit the nail on the head in her third paragraph when she talks about not speaking out for fear of retribution.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42941.49

Parent To Harding: Where's Discipline?
I read about the unfortunate situation that happened to Mrs. Britton [ "Teacher drank poisoned water," Tuesday], and I agree with what Mrs. Stark had to say about the discipline problems the schools have [ "MCEA slams school system," Saturday]. I don't recall having these problems in school when I was a kid, only occasionally, but we had discipline procedures that were followed through. That follow-through made a big difference when it came to preventing repeated problems.

How can the schools expect to increase their test scores or encourage students to learn when they don't care about the safety or productivity of their learning environment? Teachers deserve respect because they have given a portion of themselves teaching our kids how to navigate through life. If the school administrators don't protect them, and stand behind them when they are right, we won't have many good ones teaching in our system for long.

Why has no one spoken about the problems, publicly, before now? We're all afraid to tarnish our image, or lose our jobs, but it's the students who are suffering. Shouldn't we be able to help figure out what they need to do to improve the situation if we work together? Well, we can't do that if they don't tell us what's going on. The students complain but they seem to be the only ones, and no one seems to be listening.

I wrote a letter to Superintendent Michael Harding Nov. 2 and asked about the failing discipline in the high school. He hasn't responded. I thought I'd share the letter.

Dear Mr. Harding,

The efforts you've made to institute early education for the younger generation are great, and that the elementary schools seem to be doing an excellent job, but my biggest concern are problems at the high school. I'm writing as a concerned parent of two children, whom my husband and I have tried to raise with a measure of respect for authority and themselves. My biggest fear is that we'll have to send our children to that high school one day soon, with its problems of disrespect and violence, and we really don't want to.

Why does it seem there is no discipline there? Why are the young adults able to deface and dismantle their restrooms without consequences, walk the halls freely during class time and say whatever they want to their teachers, from swear words to "I hate you," without consequences?

What about the principal? Why doesn't he seem to care what's going on, or be able to do something to curb the problems? Why isn't he there for his teachers when they really need him?

A lot of young adults there think they are going through things no one else has ever gone through, and that that gives them the right to be disrespectful and lazy. In every generation people have had to work while in school to support families, but their education was their way out of poverty. The school could use posters of real people to show that other people have gone through rough times but made it anyway, because they wanted something better. They need to know what it is to earn something, just like the rest of us had to do when we were kids - school wasn't easy, because life isn't easy.

Some of these young adults are on the streets right now, robbing people, having fights, making babies and possibly killing people. They are our tomorrow, today. Why aren't those who can be saved being reined in before it's too late, and those who refuse to be saved being expelled?

I'm sure other school systems are tackling the same issues and finding ideas that have worked for them. I just don't want to see these kids being forgotten about just because they seem too rough, or because of their race, or because the parents of ruthless, hard-headed children are getting in the way of making real progress. Someone needs to care about them, they are Michigan City's immediate future.

Tonya R. Janowski

Michigan City

Schools Must Meet Diverse Needs
There is no question that students and teachers need to be safe at school. An outsider cannot fully know about the tensions between the teachers union and school administrators in Michigan City.

However, as a social worker, I understand that size matters when it comes to schools and that the formation of Michigan City High School created a school virtually the same size as Columbine High School. Columbine has become the symbol of ultimate school violence. One of the factors identified as contributing to this tragedy was the size of the school: teens cannot receive the type of individual attention they need in such a large group.

Having spent a work day with 100 students from Krueger Middle School on the grounds of Friendship Gardens this Friday, I was reminded again of the patience, wisdom, energy and compassion that our teachers summon every day to work with young people who come to them with an extraordinary range of capabilities - both academic and social. We need to give our teachers the tools they need to be able to teach as well as they know how. One such tool was the alternative high school. Within that small school community, young people were able to find the help they needed to focus and succeed.

Punishment is notoriously unsuccessful in producing long-term behavior changes. A dysfunctional young person needs years of help to learn new behaviors. When that long-term help is unavailable then "getting rid of troublemakers" may become a short term "solution" so that it is quiet enough to teach the rest of the class. But the problem behavior remains and will continue to the detriment of the individual and to society. There needs to be a place and programs for youth who do not fit into the factory model of a 2,000-student high school. Until this tool is in place, expect more discipline problem headlines.

Marti Pizzini

Michigan City

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 13 2007, 11:50 AM
Post #12

Again the AltSch seems to be the answer. Marti Pizzini seems to give a cogent reason for this.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 14 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #13

Although this item doesn't have anything to do with Diane Britton, it still addresses the many hurdles MCAS teachers face because of Administration....

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=41619.3

Teachers Gather At MCAS Meeting
About 75 educators stand in support of MCEA president.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - While local elementary classrooms are filled with bright images and encouraging words for students, teachers are feeling discouraged.

That was the message from the Michigan City Education Association at Tuesday's School Board meeting.

Speaking during the meeting's public forum portion, MCEA President Phyllis Stark told the board additional tasks are taking their toll.

"This school year, our responsibilities have increased dramatically," she said.

Various assessments as well as additions to the curriculum "have radically increased our time requirements," she said.

"Unfortunately, we have not received resources equal to our new responsibilities."

Additionally, teachers seem to have less influence over what and how they teach.

"Class size has risen in academic classes. The middle school's restructuring debacle reduced classes in art and physical education, which are high-interest classes for many students, and added a reading class for all student regardless of their academic needs," Stark said.

About 75 teachers, some of them standing, waited through a long meeting for Stark's presentation. They stood in support when Stark began to speak and in an anthem-like response periodically said, "The time is now to support teachers and students."

Stark said teachers have agreed upon a list of solutions for the problems they see.

"We would be happy to share this list with any administrator interested in taking action now," she said.

Only minutes before Stark began her address, Superintendent Michael Harding gave a short presentation on the MCAS observance of American Education Week, which began Monday.

After the meeting, Harding characterized the presentation as the union's "attempt to bargain in public."

The teachers' contract expired in June, and negotiations are ongoing.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 14 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #14

Stephanie Scheimann is a teacher and I believe she is at Elston. Very good soundoff remark...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42838.31

Sound Off! entry by: Stephanie Scheimann

Principal Threatened
Teachers complain about the lack of respect in the classroom, which then leads to discipline problems. This woman's reaction to a situation in which her child would be made to face the responsibility of his actions is an obvious example of why teachers complain about lack of disciplined behavior in the classroom. This student who was referred to the choice program must have learned some of their behaviors from their parent. All kinds of stereotypes could be placed on the race, family, and socioeconomic background of these individuals, but that would be harsh. People in general need to understand that teachers and schools are not there to babysit children. Additionally, parents need to realize that while their children may be perfectly behaved in front of them, when they are out of sight of the parent, the student will tend to misbehave. We are all not perfect, however we should make good examples for our children and the future of Michigan City. Threatening people and being rude is just not acceptable.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 14 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

After the meeting, Harding characterized the presentation as the union's "attempt to bargain in public."

Excuse me? I disagree. I see this as her taking the opportunity to publicly inform everyone of what's really going on in the classrooms...not "bargain in public". She's not asking for a pay raise, simply for the funding to become available for the teachers to be able to afford to do what's asked of them

I sat in on a planning committee over the summer to put together one of the pieces from the new strategic plan for Joy Elementary. Over and over, each of us raised the same question: where will the money come from to implement this?

I think our school board needs to take a good, hard look around at other school corporations with similar enrollment numbers, because they're doing a lot more with a a lot fewer administrators. Come on, folks, it's about giving the kids an education...not creating a job for another well connected adult in our community.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 14 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(JHeath @ Nov 14 2007, 11:03 AM) *

Excuse me? I disagree. I see this as her taking the opportunity to publicly inform everyone of what's really going on in the classrooms...not "bargain in public". She's not asking for a pay raise, simply for the funding to become available for the teachers to be able to afford to do what's asked of them

I sat in on a planning committee over the summer to put together one of the pieces from the new strategic plan for Joy Elementary. Over and over, each of us raised the same question: where will the money come from to implement this?

I think our school board needs to take a good, hard look around at other school corporations with similar enrollment numbers, because they're doing a lot more with a a lot fewer administrators. Come on, folks, it's about giving the kids an education...not creating a job for another well connected adult in our community.

This comes from a guy who had more off-time and a near 10% raise added to his last contract, not to mention all of the perks he gets. Things like not paying a dime for health insurance, while the teachers are paying about $600 a month for full family plan, a free car (plus maintence), security coverage if "threatened" etc.

I also don't get where talking about the same exact displine issues that have been being pressed for YEARS his bargaining in public? I thought bargaining was a give and a take, not just closing your eyes and acting like nothing is happening.

The size of the administration in comparision to other surrounding districts would blow your minds if the numbers I saw are accurate. We have BY FAR the highest number of anywhere even close to us in size, including places like Merrillville.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 14 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #17

When is the next election? I am gonna think about standing for an at-large seat. Unless it is too crowded and it would hurt SSider's chances.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 14 2007, 01:47 PM
Post #18

I'm not going to say never, but with another baby on the way at the end of 07/beginning of 2008, I can't see it happening this election cycle. Maybe the 2010 elections if life has calmed down, but not 08. I do plan on staying active and involved in the election process to put good people on the MCAS board though.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 15 2007, 08:50 AM
Post #19

Hip hip hooray, for you and your wife. Best wishes; I am glad you are doing your part to make sure the good people outnumber the others!

Is the election to school board every two years??

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 15 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #20

Yes the seats up for election alternate every cycle, 3 one election and 4 the next. The seats held by Lee, Bergwald, Jones, and Kintzele were up in the last election so the Nov08 will be for the seats currently held by Carlson, Zeek, and Gipson.
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:00 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com