Tim
post Oct 30 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #241

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 30 2008, 02:45 PM) *

What about Santa?

I guess this is another generation gap question. When I was a kid Santa's house was located on at the intersection of Franklin and 6th - I think it was 6th. It was the street Walgreen's was on. It was a little read house on the southwest corner of the intersection. It seems like the name Pytinia (sp?) rings a bell as to who was Santa during those years. I know his Santa suit used to be displayed at the Old Lighthouse Museum at Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, the owner in my restaurant question had a birthday right around Christmas - so every year he'd have a big party with a little band from Chicago.

Anyone?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kharris
post Oct 30 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #242

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Tim @ Oct 30 2008, 08:21 PM) *

I guess this is another generation gap question. When I was a kid Santa's house was located on at the intersection of Franklin and 6th - I think it was 6th. It was the street Walgreen's was on. It was a little read house on the southwest corner of the intersection. It seems like the name Pytinia (sp?) rings a bell as to who was Santa during those years. I know his Santa suit used to be displayed at the Old Lighthouse Museum at Christmas.

Speaking of Christmas, the owner in my restaurant question had a birthday right around Christmas - so every year he'd have a big party with a little band from Chicago.

Anyone?

Actually I think walgreens was on the corner of 7th and franklin (the northwest corner) ... it is now an empty lot.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 30 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #243

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Oct 30 2008, 08:28 PM) *

Actually I think walgreens was on the corner of 7th and franklin (the northwest corner) ... it is now an empty lot.

Yeah - I thought either 6th or 7th - but was too lazy to dig into my MC pix to find out!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 31 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #244

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

When I was young we lived across the street from Mr. Pytynia. And I do remember my mom telling me that he used to play Santa every year. Mr. Pytynia was the neatest old guy and a really great neighbor. At halloween he would have special goody bags for all the kids that lived on my block with double the candy that he gave every other kid.
Aahhh....
May he rest in peace.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 1 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #245

Really Comfortable

The restaurant in my question was Maxine & Heinie's. Heinie had collected promotional liquor bottles for years and had them displayed on a little shelf that ran all the way around the restaurant up by the ceiling. I always wondered where those went when he passed on. It's Maxine's now, right? Maybe they're still there.
+Quote Post
krk
post Nov 2 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #246

Member No.: 817

QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 1 2008, 05:13 PM) *

The restaurant in my question was Maxine & Heinie's. Heinie had collected promotional liquor bottles for years and had them displayed on a little shelf that ran all the way around the restaurant up by the ceiling. I always wondered where those went when he passed on. It's Maxine's now, right? Maybe they're still there.

No, they aren't. You've never been to Maxine's? You should go. The pot roast is fantastic.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 2 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #247

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(krk @ Nov 2 2008, 10:05 PM) *

No, they aren't. You've never been to Maxine's? You should go. The pot roast is fantastic.

Thanks. Those bottles had top be worth some dough. I hear good things about Maxine's - but every time I'm home I'm on a "travel budget" - so Swingbelly's and Albano's is as wild as I roll.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 3 2008, 07:57 AM
Post #248

Member No.: 3

Albano's has slipped a lot. I now favor Miller's over by Al's on Karwick.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 3 2008, 08:03 AM
Post #249

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 3 2008, 07:57 AM) *

Albano's has slipped a lot. I now favor Miller's over by Al's on Karwick.

Since Jim Albano passed and obviously isn't cooking there anymore, I actually favor the LP locale's pizza a little bit over the MC spot. Its still great though.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 5 2008, 10:53 PM
Post #250

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 3 2008, 09:03 AM) *

Since Jim Albano passed and obviously isn't cooking there anymore, I actually favor the LP locale's pizza a little bit over the MC spot. Its still great though.

Yesh - but how much of the cooking was done by Jim? Before he took the big dirt nap, I mean. Ever since I can remember it's been and endless, revolving stream of kids in there. Your thoughts?

I'm 53 and I still remember ALbano's phone number! Wacky.....
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 6 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #251

The sauce is not the same--it is a lower grade. The sausage is definitely not the same--and I do not mean better. The cheese has more filler; you can tell because there is no or very little oil on top when it is cooked.

On another pizza note, I have heard that at Charlies, the Shaia have gone back to the old pizzas like Charlie the former proprietor made.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 6 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #252

QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 5 2008, 10:53 PM) *

Yesh - but how much of the cooking was done by Jim? Before he took the big dirt nap, I mean. Ever since I can remember it's been and endless, revolving stream of kids in there. Your thoughts?

I'm 53 and I still remember ALbano's phone number! Wacky.....

I don't know that he was doing much cooking, but he must have made sure it was done right.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 6 2008, 04:22 PM
Post #253

Really Comfortable

Stop! I don't think I can take too much more bad news about a life-long family institution! Next you'll be telling me AJ's is closing!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 6 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #254

Really Comfortable

Easy one. What was the name of the drug store chain in MC that was replaced by CVS?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 7 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #255

QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 6 2008, 11:33 PM) *

Easy one. What was the name of the drug store chain in MC that was replaced by CVS?

Hooks
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 7 2008, 12:53 PM
Post #256

Member No.: 10

When I was little, the way the H was in the sign made the word appear as Flooks. That's what I called it when I was little.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 7 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #257

QUOTE(Tim @ Nov 6 2008, 04:22 PM) *
Stop! I don't think I can take too much more bad news about a life-long family institution!

It is a very sad time in MC when Albano's is gone cheapo. When my father and mother moved away, he would remember how delicious and special the sausage pizzas were. I would not have the heart to tell him the current state of things.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
digger262
post Nov 7 2008, 02:57 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 771

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 31 2008, 10:23 AM) *

When I was young we lived across the street from Mr. Pytynia. And I do remember my mom telling me that he used to play Santa every year. Mr. Pytynia was the neatest old guy and a really great neighbor. At halloween he would have special goody bags for all the kids that lived on my block with double the candy that he gave every other kid.
Aahhh....
May he rest in peace.

My dad was good friends with Mr. Pytynia and we were fortunate to have him come to our house every Christmas eve to give us presents my parents would put into a Christmas bag. We used to know there were fake Santas but believe Pytynia was the REAL Santa. I still remember my shock when I went out onto the front porch one Christmas eve before Santa came and found the bag with presents. Many years later my brother used that same canvas bag to haul his dirty laundry home from college. Talk about a huge career fall from Santas special bag to laundry bag.

I also remember Mr. Pytynia would give me baseballs he would find at his job of maintaining the old Ames Field. Those balls were scuffed and water logged but I thought they were just about the best things in the world. What a great man.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 7 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #259

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 7 2008, 08:11 AM) *

Hooks

Hook's, actually - but close enough!
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 11 12 13
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:12 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com