IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michigan City St. Mary's Catholic High School, Can someone shed some light on this mystery?
taxthedeer
post Aug 14 2010, 12:47 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Can somebody enlighten me on something? There's probably another thread somewhere here on CBTL about this.

There's something I've always wondered about one of Michigan City's finest long standing educational institutions.

Why is it that when you drive along 11th St. past Marquette High School the building still reads St. Mary's?

When and why did Michigan City St. Mary's Catholic High School decide to change it's name to Michigan City Marquette Catholic High School?

What year was St. Mary's High School originally founded?

Have they always been known as the "Blazers"?

I found it it interesting that Michigan City St. Mary's actually had a football program from 1947 through 1951 and at one time was coached by former University of Notre Dame assistant coach Joe Yonto who servered under legendary Fighting Irish Head coach Ara Parseghian at Notre Dame. I was also once told that coach Yonto's wife is a native of Michigan City. According to the movie internet database coach Yonto was portrayed by Ron Dean in the film "Rudy".

Where did the football team play it's home games?

How come they discontinued the program?

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080508aaa.html

http://ifca.zebras.net/ifca/candler/foot-h...ry/st-marys.htm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108002/fullcredits#cast

Because of this I nominate coach Joe Yonto for consideration to be entered into next years Michigan City Football Hall of Fame.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 22 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

I found out at Thursday's volleyball game that St. Mary's was founded in 1885 so congratulations to the folks a Marquette on celebrating their 125th year.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 8 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Without knowing a whole lot about St. Mary's, but hazarding a guess, I would have to say the school's name change had something to do with Father Marquette, who was essentially the town founder. He "discovered" Michigan City--The gateway to Lake Michigan and began the first settlement here.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Sep 8 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 8 2010, 09:04 AM) *

Without knowing a whole lot about St. Mary's, but hazarding a guess, I would have to say the school's name change had something to do with Father Marquette, who was essentially the town founder. He "discovered" Michigan City--The gateway to Lake Michigan and began the first settlement here.

Wow...Pere Marquette casts a long shadow. There was a monument to him in my hometown (Summit, IL).

I remember reading some research on the expedition at the DePaul U library that suggested that he didn't participate in the voyage...just took credit for it.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 9 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 8 2010, 09:04 AM) *

I always thought that the original settlers were the Michigan band of the Pottawatomie Indian Tribe, and that's why Michigan City is named Michigan City.

Interesting story, when Federal-Mogul CEO Jose Maria-Alapont came here to tour his Michigan City facility about eight years ago our plant manger went out to greet him. When the corporate jet landed flying from it's Southfield, Michigan headquarters at the Michigan City Municipal Airport, the first question Mr. Alapont (a native of Spain) asked when he stepped off was, Why is it Michigan City in Indiana and not Michigan City in Michigan? Our plant manager at the time who lives in Valpo didn't have an answer.
+Quote Post
TSNSPYDER
post Sep 10 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 76

Don't listen to anyone from Spain. They have Siberian hamsters there.
+Quote Post
greatgrand
post Sep 10 2010, 10:23 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,018

http://www.marquette-hs.org/history.htm

The History of Marquette Catholic High School
The following is condensed with permission from 1986, copyright by Patricia Gruse Harris ‘52.

Beginnings
On June 27, 1886, the day of the corner stone laying, the newspaper said "a gala day in the history of Catholic churches in the city." The bell was placed in the tower of the new St. Mary's School at 10th and Buffalo Streets; that was the beginning of St. Mary's/Marquette High School more than 100 years ago.

On November 2, 1886, the students, 80 in all, moved into their new classroom, which included a high school department. Enrollment continued to grow from 250 students taught by six sisters to 440 including the high school by 1896. Many of the students remained for only one, two or three years and would then leave high school to go to work. However, in June 1894 two students completed four years of study, thus becoming the first graduates of St. Mary's High School.

The Twenties
By 1921 enrollment had reached 544, in both the grade school and the high school. The large classes could no longer be accommodated in the school. The old convent situated just behind the school building was remodeled and fitted for classrooms, and the high school moved into those quarters. By 1925, Marquette Hall, which had been erected in 1914 as the parish hall, was being used very little. It was decided to convert it into the high school. In September 1925 the entire high school department, 102 students, moved into the second floor of Marquette Hall.

On May 4, 1928, the high school received accreditation from the Indiana Superintendent of Schools, thus becoming the first four-year accredited Catholic high school in the Diocese of Gary.

October 1937 brought about two 'firsts"--school uniforms and a school newspaper, The Marquette. The name Immaculata was chosen in November of the same year for the annual yearbook, a name which continued until 1968. The school club activities in the 1930's included Girls' Glee Club, Latin Club, Debating Teams and Oratorical Contests.

A classroom which had been the balcony of the auditorium, on the third floor, became known as "Little America." Those who had classes there were certainly removed from the rest of the school and, as some said, removed from the heat as well. Classes were held in "Little America" until the mid 1940's.

In the fall of 1934, it was announced that the third floor of Marquette Hall would be turned into a gymnasium. With the 13 new facilities available, a boys' basketball team was formed. By 1945 the athletic program produced almost 100% participation from the student body. Also in 1945 Msgr. Vurpillat announced the erection of a new Catholic high school, gymnasium and social hall in the near future. However, the project was dropped for one reason or another but was revived again in 1949. On January 30, 1954, contracts were signed for the construction of a new parish high school.

The New School
In 1955 the present high school was completed. March 25, 1955, was moving day for students and faculty. As the convent archives stated: "Perhaps the happiest day ever known to both the faculty and students of the high school took place today when we all moved into our new high school." The next week the renovation of Marquette Hall began. It was completed on April 13, 1956. Located in the lobby of Marquette Hall stands the statue of Father Marquette, which was formerly outside the front of the building.

Dual Education
In December 1966 a plan for a dual system of education was proposed. Both the Michigan City School and Diocesan School authorities had purchased property adjacent to each other on Pahs Road, the site of Michigan City High School. Eighty percent of the families voting in December 1966 favored the program.

Meanwhile the cost of operating the high school by St. Mary's parish alone was becoming prohibitive. As a result it was decided that beginning with the school year 1968-1969, St. Mary's High School would become a city-wide catholic high school named Marquette High School. It was felt this would aid in the transition to the dual enrollment school scheduled to begin in 1971. Therefore, the commencement exercises on June 2, 1968 became the final commencement of St. Mary's High School.
The beginning of the end of the dual enrollment plan began on April 25, 1969. On that day, Mother Verda Clare, Provincial Superior of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, advised that they could not supply sisters for the dual enrollment school. On July 8, 1970, the Marquette School Commission was dissolved.

Finally, on September 30, the plans for Marquette High School as a dual enrollment school were dropped. Thus, this unique proposal never came to be and Marquette High School continues today as a city-wide Catholic high school at its present site.

The 70's
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 11 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #8

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I read this somewhere, it's been in my memory a long time. I did this research because I, too, wanted to know why our town was called Michigan City yet was in Indiana.

The Pottawatamies were here first, yes, but Fr. Marquette brought french whites to the settlement to "civilize the natives." And, before state lines were drawn, Michigan City was in the Michigan Territory, which dipped downward to include what is now LaPorte County-so being named because it was "The Port" of Lake Michigan. When the states were created, the line between the Michigan and Indiana Territories, was drawn straight across. This put the City of Michigan (so being named because of the Lake) in the State of Indiana.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 11 2010, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Now we know why the building along 11th reads St. Marys School. It was constructed in 1955, St. Mary's changed it's name to Marquette in '68 when it began accepting open enrollment.

Interesting to find out Marquette almost closed up in 1971 exactly at the same time Elston and Rogers split.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Sep 15 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I was always under the understanding that M.C. was named after the Michigan Road which went from Indy, due North and then jogged over to M.C.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:17 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com