IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Youth violence in Michigan City... What can WE do?
Southsider2k12
post Sep 18 2012, 12:11 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I want to open a discussion that isn't about blame or anger, but how can we go about trying to fix the problem as a community. I'd like to hear from people who have ideas or suggestions on how we can turn things around. I know that we are looking at a small snapshot of a summer here in the last couple of weeks, but I think people can agree that even besides those two instances there is an issue of finding positive ways to raise our young people into productive adults.

So I open up the discussion. How can we do, and how do we do it?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dmb123
post Sep 18 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,209

Such a hard question to answer but I definitely think Michigan City needs more things for teens/pre-teens to do. There are lots of abandoned buildings that can be turned into something fun and functional for the youth--something to keep them active and perhaps cultivate their talents...a talent showcase every now and then....a roller rink. A safe place to socialize and network that's PROPERLY staffed and SUPERVISED.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 18 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Welcome to the board, and thanks for the answer. I agree with you 100% on needing a youth facility.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Sep 18 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

I believe the issue is a complex one with many different dimensions. My sense is the central issue is a total lack of parenting. I believe most adults are basically competent and are capable of raising children to adulthood. However, I believe many parents are overwhelmed by the need to work one, two and sometimes three jobs to keep a roof over their head and to keep bread on the table. In many cases, all of the parent’s energy is sucked up by attempting to work several jobs. Little energy is left for nurturing children. The solution is to provide more higher paying, higher skill jobs in MC. The global economy does not provide the low wage, low tech jobs of the past with a living wage. Long gone are the manufacturing jobs of the past which required little to no skill yet paid 7 and sometimes 8 times the minimum wage rate.
+Quote Post
Grupe2006
post Sep 18 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,184

We need to answer the question of why. Why do youth join gangs? Why are they involved in dangerous activities? Why do they resort to violence to solve their problems? Many have pointed the finger at parents..so maybe the parents need help? Maybe the parents are struggling with the same issues. Maybe they are working two jobs to support their family. Maybe the parent doesn't know how to help their kid. Instead of blaming them, we really need to help them. Their parents may be caught in the same vicious cycle of addiction, gangs, and poverty.

Also, while offering a supervised place to hang out is great, it doesn't address the root issues. Finding volunteers to staff the youth hang out isn't easy (we've tried). The root issue has to do with kids seeking acceptance and a place to belong. Peer pressures and the promise of a close group of friends is what pulls many kids into gangs and drugs. People need to know they are loved. They need to know they have people who care about them and are invested in their success. And they need good role models to live life in front of them. There are programs people can get involved in to help.

Hours for Ours is a school based mentoring program which seeks to build those kind of relationships with at risk kids. Safe Harbor is the after school care provided at the schools to ensure a safe place for kids. And I am involved in Avenue Family Center, which is a tutoring/mentoring ministry that is free which seeks to help students to succeed and encourage them to make wise choices. Avenue Family Center also offers free internet usage for students and those seeking employment.

We can continue to push the blame on the parents or we can intervene. If you are concerned about our youth, get involved, volunteer your time, show them you care. These kids aren't bad, they need to know they don't have to settle for a life dominated with drugs, gangs, and violence. They need to know they have options, and they need help reaching their goals. That will only happen as we reach out our hands to them, one person at a time.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 18 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

I'm on board with the youth facilities. My generation had arcades, roller rinks, teen events at the park, etc. The difference between then and now is that in my day we didn't have gangs like now. Gangs were something that you heard about in Chicago--not our little town.

Supervision is the key to successful teen events. When I lived in WY, they had these "all ages" shows during the winter months...every weekend they would feature local bands at different venues around town that was attractive to the youth. Admission was $3, they served non-alcoholic beverages and snack foods at a low price also so kids or lower income parents could give their kids $5 to get in, drink and eat. Police moonlight as security at these events--typically the officers that work with the schools since they are familiar to the kids. It's a very successful program...curfew is midnight, the shows end at 11:00 so kids can get home in time for curfew. There is a lower crime rate among the youth of Casper because of it. They also have teen dances at the youth center in the summer, and lots of summer day-activities to keep kids busy when not in school.

I think our kids are bored, misdirected, and have no good leadership/mentors. Even that young man that was shot last week, he had a mentor who was helping him become a productive member of society, but it didn't work. Why? Probably because his father murdered his mother and can you imagine living a life like that? After a while, you give up trying to be good. What's the point?
Not saying that's how it should be, but that is what it is.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
jkeppen
post Sep 18 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,210

I think it's time my generation the 30 somethings of today took a stand. We stood up and said we're pissed and we won't take it anymore. It's high time we took responsibility for what this city has become. The only way we can do this is by hard work. My parents and grandparents kept this city great and it's time we did our part to do the same. We have to organize events and do things for the youth of today to sway them from these drugs and gangs. We need to stand up as a united front and tell the gangs you're not welcome here. Pack up and get out. First thing we need to do is stop with this snitch shit. If you see drug dealing drug using or gang activity REPORT IT. Tell the authorities. The police are doing all that can resonably be asked of anyone. We can't expect our parents to do this for us anymore. It's time we as parents of these teens as mentors of these teens took a proactive approach. Myself along with quite a few others are ready to do what we have to to help out. If you would like to contact me about this just look me up on facebook Jerry Keppen is my name. I'm willing to do what i can. Sadly i'm not very creative and I don't have any ideas as of right now but i'm willing to join in on any cause.

Signature Bar
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable.
John F. Kennedy
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 19 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #8

Welcome to the site Jerry, glad to have you aboard!

I know the Mayor visits here and reads our posts.....

Mayor Meer, what can we do to help our youth? There is a ton of people right here (@ CBTL) waiting to help.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 19 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #9

I know it wouldn't fix everything, but we really need a youth facility in Michigan City. It is almost a crime that there is a seven figure senior center in City, but no real spot for kids to go.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 19 2012, 09:25 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Sep 18 2012, 01:54 PM) *

I believe the issue is a complex one with many different dimensions. My sense is the central issue is a total lack of parenting. I believe most adults are basically competent and are capable of raising children to adulthood. However, I believe many parents are overwhelmed by the need to work one, two and sometimes three jobs to keep a roof over their head and to keep bread on the table. In many cases, all of the parent’s energy is sucked up by attempting to work several jobs. Little energy is left for nurturing children. The solution is to provide more higher paying, higher skill jobs in MC. The global economy does not provide the low wage, low tech jobs of the past with a living wage. Long gone are the manufacturing jobs of the past which required little to no skill yet paid 7 and sometimes 8 times the minimum wage rate.

This is a great point.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 19 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #11

And very true....

Since I lost my job last year, I have had to do what I can to make ends meet. I have worked many temp and part time jobs at the same time just to get by. I am a single mom and so that leaves my daughter at the mercy of my ability to find someone to look after her. She is a teenager, but still needs supervision. I am lucky that I have family here to help out, but I know there are people who don't have someone to look after their kids.....

And so they run the streets.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Sep 19 2012, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

Here's an idea. . .stop building government/low income housing in this community. Move the two state prisons in our area to central Indiana. Knock down abandon buildings, make drug dealers do some real time and stop enabling people. Make people work(community service) and be drug free for any gov't assistance. More things to do in this community. . .please. There is plenty to do in this community. If people want to buy and sell drugs that will happen in any community. Start treating 16-17 year old thugs who have weapons as adults. Bring back the electric chair or more lethal injections for the hard core and truly utilize that as a deterent.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 19 2012, 11:43 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 19 2012, 12:36 PM) *

Here's an idea. . .stop building government/low income housing in this community. Move the two state prisons in our area to central Indiana. Knock down abandon buildings, make drug dealers do some real time and stop enabling people. Make people work(community service) and be drug free for any gov't assistance. More things to do in this community. . .please. There is plenty to do in this community. If people want to buy and sell drugs that will happen in any community. Start treating 16-17 year old thugs who have weapons as adults. Bring back the electric chair or more lethal injections for the hard core and truly utilize that as a deterent.

Like what? No more roller rinks, no more arcades, nothing going on at the beach, no teen center, nothing but athletics at the boys & girls club....
So Jesse, besides sports, what is there for our kids to do? Not all kids like sports. Some like to dance, some like movies, some play music--nothing along those lines in this town--and if there is, please tell us about it.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Bryce
post Sep 19 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,191

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Sep 18 2012, 01:54 PM) *

This issue(s) are so complex and I agree to a point about your comment above. There are still good jobs to be had within driving distance of MC. Nipsco, Steel Mills, BP Amoco and the skilled Union trades just to name a few "blue collar" jobs. Granted the above industries do require some college and or trade school training.

There seems to be a mentality within MC that crime, poverty, drug use and lack of education is acceptable. The heroin addiction statistics in Northwest Indiana are staggering and with limited Jail/Prison space, courts must resort to community corrections where offender's are not properly supervised throughout probation. The recidivism rate for drug use after rehabilitation must be very high in these Northern counties.

I agree that MC needs a place for teens to hang out on the weekends that is fun or cool. The NAC is what comes to my mind if it weren't so prohibitively expensive and only cater to the upper middle class.

I too tried to raise my kids in MC when we lived near Albano's but the "writing was on the wall" to head South of 94.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Sep 19 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 19 2012, 12:43 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 19 2012, 12:36 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Like what? No more roller rinks, no more arcades, nothing going on at the beach, no teen center, nothing but athletics at the boys & girls club....
So Jesse, besides sports, what is there for our kids to do? Not all kids like sports. Some like to dance, some like movies, some play music--nothing along those lines in this town--and if there is, please tell us about it.

Gee Ang, sports is an outlet but if you don't think so there is plently to do in MC. How about the numerous parks, trails, bike paths, dog park, a library, beach, zoo, you can roller blade at Streibel Pond, skate board at the Willard Ave park. You have a movie theatre in this town, school dances, etc. I can't believe most kids can't play something on line. Yes, the destitute probably have a smart phone and Xbox. I wonder what the poor kids of less populous states like Wyoming, North & South Dakota do, count cattle? Do you really believe it is nothing to do that causes a teen to become a thug and shoot another? I wonder what Mr. Scully has to say on this issue as he has been very quiet?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 19 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 19 2012, 08:30 PM) *

Gee Ang, sports is an outlet but if you don't think so there is plently to do in MC. How about the numerous parks, trails, bike paths, dog park, a library, beach, zoo, you can roller blade at Streibel Pond, skate board at the Willard Ave park. You have a movie theatre in this town, school dances, etc. I can't believe most kids can't play something on line. Yes, the destitute probably have a smart phone and Xbox. I wonder what the poor kids of less populous states like Wyoming, North & South Dakota do, count cattle? Do you really believe it is nothing to do that causes a teen to become a thug and shoot another? I wonder what Mr. Scully has to say on this issue as he has been very quiet?

Actually according to the ND Scully is skulking around semi-behind the scenes - which can't be good. A trouble-making racist like Scully gives blacks an even worse image than this violence does.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 20 2012, 07:17 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 19 2012, 10:53 PM) *

Actually according to the ND Scully is skulking around semi-behind the scenes - which can't be good. A trouble-making racist like Scully gives blacks an even worse image than this violence does.

I'm not going to go anywhere near that far, but I am curious why no statement condemn the violence and/or asking the community at large for non-violence, hasn't been made... (unless I am missing it because it never got published).
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 20 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #18

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 19 2012, 09:30 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Ok, well I said not all kids like sports. I didn't say sports wasn't an outlet. I worked in the athletic field for a couple years and I think sports is wonderful for developing kids, teaching them to be self-confident, organized, reliable, and how to be part of a team environment and out of trouble. BUT NOT ALL KIDS LIKE SPORTS.
Kids in WY do not count cattle for fun. And you're being snipey and it's not called for. Kids in WY are involved in sports and the ones who don't like sports play music, do crafts, have jobs, and attend various events that the city provides for the youth--to keep them off the streets, off drugs, etc.

All of the things you mentioned are available to kids but the kids aren't in to that sort of thing, and when was the last time you paid for a movie? Those prices are totally outrageous and the kids running the streets can't afford to go, or the single mom working three jobs with three kids at home can't afford to give up the money for it. And I don't believe that having nothing to do causes these problems, but it plays a large role. Without guidance and structure, kids left to their own devices will find trouble. Demographics play a huge role in the how kids are, too. In our little society here, we are close to the 3rd largest city in the country, where gangs, drugs, and violence run rampant. That affects and influences these kids who are left to their own devices. Not to mention kids whose parents are violent or drug users as well. Kids who don't feel loved by their parents will seek love from other sources. There is a myriad of reasons why the youth today is the way it is. I am not naive enough to think it's because we don't have a teen center.

Also, I want to mention that I heard on WEFM there is to be a meeting tonite at Lake Hills Elementary for parents from 6 to 7pm about this very topic. Day care is provided and the meeting is geared toward helping Parents to be more proactive with their kids.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Sep 20 2012, 08:07 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 964

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 19 2012, 10:53 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Sep 19 2012, 08:30 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Wow Tim.....tell us how u really feel....smh
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 20 2012, 09:39 AM
Post #20

http://www.abc57.com/news/local/Michigan-C...-170440066.html

By Jessie McDonough

Story Created: Sep 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM EDT

Story Updated: Sep 20, 2012 at 5:43 AM EDT

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. -- Youth violence in Michigan City has broken out over the past couple of weeks.

Police are looking for 19-year-old Nathaniel Jordan who is accused of attempted murder from a shooting on September 11.

Then just two days later, 16-year-old Isiah Wright was shot to death on Michigan Boulevard.

Three days later on September 17, shots were fired on the 600 block of East 10th Street. A 17-year-old was arrested. Officers said he had a gun.

The community is fed up. They are fighting back with a peace walk Friday.

James Vance,24, said he just cannot take the violence in his Michigan City Community anymore.

"We lost all four of those people and all four of those families are mourning right now," said Vance.

He said he got in a little trouble as a kid so he understands how young people can fall off the right path, and it is about the time someone did something about it.

"A lot of street violence, a lot of teens out here just mixed up into bad things and I have been there you know? And no one has stepped up to do anything," said Vance.

So he decided to step up himself in the form of Facebook.

"It started out with Facebook and the community walk and next thing you know we had 4,128 people liking it," said Vance.

One of those people that "liked" it was La Porte County Commissioner Willie Milsap.

He volunteered to help organize the walk, which will start at the spot where Isiah Wright was murdered and go all the way down Michigan Boulevard.

So far over 200 people have RSVP'd to the peace walk and Milsap hopes the whole community will be there.

"We have signs made out, my staffers and I have been working around the clock since this happened,” said Milsap. “We want to make this impressive so it shows the community we are concerned”.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:07 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com