Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> POTENTIAL HARDING EXTENTION VOTE ON AGENDA FOR TUESDAY MEETING
Southsider2k12
post Oct 20 2008, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

That's right folks, probably the most important bit of information that I gathered at the meeting is that a discussion of Michael Hardings contract extension has been placed on the agenda for the next school board meeting on Tuesday October 28th at 6pm. By law the MCAS board has to inform Harding by December 31st if they are extending his contract or not. The timing is interesting as usual, as the board has scheduled the vote for the meeting BEFORE the election, instead of after it. The board pulled this same stunt two years ago. They are effectively tying the hands of the next school board by potentially guaranteeing that Harding will be there during their term, whether they would want him or not. There is no doubt in my mind that this will pass by the usual 4-3 vote that we have seen at just about every meeting. (Carlson, Lee, Gipson, and Jones for/Zeek, Burgwald, and Kintzele against)

In my opinion the board should table the vote until AFTER the election. In the true spirit of cooperation, the incoming board members should have their votes represented by the outgoing members in order to ensure that the votes opinions are honored, and not the agenda of 4. If the election places people on the board who want to keep Harding around, then they can still have the vote and the opinions of the voters have been honored. If they decide to change representatives, then that voice should be heard as well. Remember we elect people to vote how WE want them to vote, and not the other way around. If you feel your voice isn't be heard, make it heard. We have a week to contact our school board reps to tell them how we want to them to act in this situation. If you want them to vote a certain way, TELL THEM! If you want them to hold the vote after the election, TELL THEM! Each member has an email address and I believe they are all listed in the phonebook as well. Get a hold of them!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Southsider2k12
post Oct 29 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=43076.6

Board tables action on MCAS chief's contract

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

Reaction from standing-room only crowd volatile.

MICHIGAN CITY - "It's Not Fair," a book read to Eastport Early Learning Center students in a presentation at Tuesday night's Michigan City Area Schools board meeting, ironically summed up the feelings of the audience present.

A standing-room only crowd of some 135 attendees were there to ultimately hear the School Board table a decision on extending Superintendent Michael Harding's contract.

Scattered boos were heard when Harding entered the room before the meeting.

School Board member Jim Kintzele said last week he wanted all board members to vote on the record about the contract since three members - Rick Carlson, Nate Gipson and Clyde Zeek - are seeking re-election Nov. 4.

Kintzele made a motion not to extend Harding's contract. The motion was met with loud cheers and clapping from the large audience. However, School Board member Jeff Jones moved to table the contract discussion until the superintendent evaluation is completed. The motion was seconded and resulted in a 4-3 vote in favor. The vote split along expected lines, with Jones, Kathryn Lee, Carlson and Gipson voting in favor of the motion and Kintzele, Zeek and Beryle Burgwald voting against it.

The decision prompted groans from the audience. Individuals shouted, "It's the taxpayer's business," "It's our kids" and "We want to teach."

Most of the crowd got up and left the room.

After the meeting, Phyllis Stark, Michigan City Education Association president, called the board's action unfair.

"We have not had a new contract and no pay increase," Stark said, "and they tabled his contract? What is the board trying to say to us?"

The MCAS teachers continue to operate under a contract that expired in June 2007. Recently, the school administration decided to move to fact-finding, which ended the mediation that was in process with the teachers' union.

"I think it's very clear that we didn't leave the table," Stark said. "We were so close to agreement. I just don't get it."

Harding didn't have much to worry about with the vote because his current contract extends to June 30, 2010. According to Indiana law, school systems are required to offer superintendents three-year contracts. If the board takes no action by the end of this year, Harding's contract will be good until June 30, 2011.

After the vote, Burgwald asked whether the evaluation was tabled indefinitely.

Jones said, "My feeling is, if we want to get this done, we can get it done quite quickly."

If the contract extension is put to another vote following Harding's evaluation, the board membership will be the same, since new terms don't begin until January, and would probably result in the same 4-3 vote in favor.

Shouts of "School Board note Nov. 4" during the meeting warned board members to expect changes in the board makeup following the election. But the new members would not join the board until Jan. 1, 2009, after the Hardingcontract issue was already decided.

Some who attended the School Board meeting waited for the public forum at the end. Bill Greene, a School Board candidate, said his children went to Michigan City schools "when they were good."

"It's sad when the leadership of our schools have lost respect from almost everyone in this room," Greene said. "On Nov. 4, people will speak out and change that 4 to 3 vote."

One woman, who said she was an Elston High School graduate, was concerned about the lack of teamwork among the board members.

Looking directly at Harding, she said, "You obviously have no respect for teachers and they have no respect for you. I challenge every citizen in Michigan City that on Election Day, let's make a change that's going to work."

A man in the audience thanked Kintzele for his motion on the contract and chastised the other members.

"Four board members employed the same delay tactics," he said. "Nov. 4 will be a watershed date for change."

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
southsider2k7   POTENTIAL HARDING EXTENTION VOTE ON AGENDA FOR TUESDAY MEETING   Oct 20 2008, 07:04 AM
Roger Kaputnik   The Board has to take action--what does the law sp...   Oct 20 2008, 07:34 AM
Roger Kaputnik   http://www.mcas.k12.in.us/admin.asp Board ...   Oct 20 2008, 09:15 AM
Ang   Roger, I don't know how you did that but all t...   Oct 20 2008, 09:22 AM
Roger Kaputnik   I think Harding did it to mess with us. I copied-...   Oct 20 2008, 10:03 AM
Roger Kaputnik   Mr. Clyde Zeek President su.ni.21k.s...   Oct 20 2008, 10:09 AM
Roger Kaputnik   When I have this in the reply composition window, ...   Oct 20 2008, 10:11 AM
Dave   Clyde Zeek President ...   Oct 20 2008, 10:00 PM
southsider2k7   Historically have been on the anti-Harding votes...   Oct 21 2008, 05:52 AM
eric.hanke   The e-mail addresses are listed in reverse so they...   Oct 21 2008, 11:10 AM
Yokas   The e-mail addresses are listed in reverse so the...   Oct 23 2008, 07:17 AM
southsider2k7   So I got an interesting impromptu education on Rob...   Oct 22 2008, 05:51 AM
Roger Kaputnik   And let's all show up at the meeting, and tell...   Oct 22 2008, 08:41 AM
southsider2k7   I finally got a hold of his contract, and it turns...   Oct 23 2008, 07:10 AM
Ang   All I can say is they must not really want to get ...   Oct 23 2008, 09:28 AM
Christopher La Follette   Michelle and Roger. As a candidate, I would love ...   Oct 23 2008, 03:34 PM
southsider2k7   Here is the unedited version of my letter, followe...   Oct 27 2008, 10:36 AM
eric.hanke   With M. Harding's contract on the agenda I am ...   Oct 27 2008, 11:27 AM
digger262   What does the editors note mean? I've seen it...   Oct 27 2008, 02:08 PM
Roger Kaputnik   They have to vote to NOT EXTEND the contract, and ...   Oct 27 2008, 03:19 PM
eric.hanke   The cost to purchase the contract is approx ...   Oct 27 2008, 03:32 PM
Roger Kaputnik   They have to vote to NOT EXTEND the contract.. ...   Oct 28 2008, 09:23 AM
southsider2k7   So as expected, the 4Harding bunch ducked the vote...   Oct 28 2008, 06:05 PM
southsider2k7   To be fair, Jeff Jones did actually revisit the Su...   Oct 28 2008, 06:52 PM
Roger Kaputnik   The pressure actually has to ratchet up on the Gan...   Oct 29 2008, 08:51 AM
southsider2k7   http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio......   Oct 29 2008, 09:53 AM
Johnny Rush   Not to self promote, but if you wanted to be at th...   Oct 30 2008, 01:33 AM
Roger Kaputnik   Self-promote! It's a good thing.   Oct 30 2008, 07:06 AM
southsider2k7   http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...Artic...   Nov 3 2008, 11:53 AM
southsider2k7   FYI, the last meeting of the year is December 16th...   Dec 5 2008, 01:37 PM
eric.hanke   FYI, the last meeting of the year is December 16t...   Dec 5 2008, 03:54 PM
Roger Kaputnik   I bet not. http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/...   Dec 5 2008, 02:22 PM
Johnny Rush   I'm not ruling this out, in order to vote on H...   Dec 5 2008, 04:38 PM
Roger Kaputnik   John, right under the reply box uncheck the Enable...   Dec 5 2008, 05:18 PM
eric.hanke   John, right under the reply box uncheck the Enabl...   Dec 5 2008, 09:45 PM
southsider2k7   A parenthesee and the letter b make the B)   Dec 5 2008, 07:41 PM
southsider2k7   Who actually controls what goes on to the agenda? ...   Dec 8 2008, 08:37 AM
eric.hanke   Who actually controls what goes on to the agenda?...   Dec 8 2008, 08:50 AM
eric.hanke   0167.3 - Public Participation at Board Meetings ...   Dec 8 2008, 09:00 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:36 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com