post Jun 6 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

From the NWI Times

Request for discipline of LaPorte County prosecutor before Indiana high court

By Stan Maddux Times Correspondent

LAPORTE | A recommendation to discipline the LaPorte County prosecutor on allegations of forgery has been made to the Indiana Supreme Court.

Robert Szilagyi is accused of forging the signatures of his ex-wife and a notary during a property transfer stemming from his divorce.

In early April, Szilagyi publicly revealed that allegations of misconduct against him were under review by the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission.

Supreme Court officials at that time would not confirm a complaint had been filed, saying they were prohibited from verifying complaints against any party until a review of the allegations was completed.

On April 12, Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission executive secretary G. Michael Witte recommended in writing that disciplinary action be taken against Szilagyi.

The Supreme Court released the complaint against Szilagyi, which contains allegations stemming from a property division in a divorce between Szilagyi and his ex-wife, Susan. The divorce was finalized in 2009.

The complaint alleges she received a quit claim deed to transfer the property solely to Szilagyi but signed it under her restored last name, Weinkauff, instead of her married name as reflected on the title.

She also failed to notarize the deed when she returned the document to Szilagyi's office.

The complaint alleges Szilagyi on the day of the closing discovered the mistakes and had his secretary, Donna Dadlow, draft a new deed.

Without contacting his ex-wife or his secretary, it's alleged that Szilagyi signed the name "Susan Szilagyi" on the new deed and used his secretary's notary stamp on the deed.

It's also alleged that Szilagyi then signed his secretary's name as notary on the deed without her permission or authority.

The complaint alleges Szilagyi submitted the new deed to the title company at closing.

Several months later, Dadlow received a notice of investigation from the Indiana secretary of state's office questioning the authenticity of the notarization and her status as notary.

The notice was her first discovery that Szilagyi had used her notary seal without her permission, according to the complaint.

The disciplinary commission ruled Szilagyi's alleged actions violate the Indiana Rules of Professional Conduct and ordered Szilagyi be disciplined for professional misconduct.

No specific discipline was requested.

According to Supreme Court officials, the recommendation for discipline will go before the five Supreme Court justices for a final decision.

Szilagyi and his Indianapolis-based attorney, Kevin McGoff, did not return calls for comment.

Szilagyi previously said his actions occurred before he became prosecutor and stemmed from his judgment being "clouded by emotions."

He was elected prosecutor in November 2010.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 6 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Wow, that is pretty bad. Seems like it should be pretty cut and dry to prove. Its either their signatures, or it isn't.

Remember in the original article, he called his wife a "liar" over this.

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....amp;hl=Szilagyi
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 7 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #3

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...27863406126.txt

Indiana Supreme Court considers disciplining Szilagyi

By Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch
Published: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:07 PM CDT
La PORTE — A recommendation to discipline the La Porte County Prosecutor on allegations of forgery is being made to the Indiana Supreme Court.

It’s alleged that Robert Szilagyi forged the signatures of his ex-wife and a notary during a property transfer stemming from his divorce.

In early April, Szilagyi publicly revealed that allegations of misconduct against him were under review by the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission. In the news release, Szilagyi said the matter does not involve the prosecutor’s office nor a client representation matter.

Supreme Court officials would not confirm nor deny a complaint had been filed, saying they were prohibited from verifying complaints against any party until a review of the allegations was completed.

Click here to find out more!
About a week later on April 12, Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission Executive Secretary G. Michael Witte recommended in writing that disciplinary action be taken against Szilagyi.

According to the complaint against Szilagyi acquired recently from the Supreme Court, the allegations stem from a property division from a divorce between Szilagyi and his ex-wife, Susan Weinkauff of San Pierre, finalized in 2009.

Weinkauff said on April 2 that she filed the complaint with the disciplinary commission.

She alleged that shortly after their divorce was final in 2009, and before Szilagyi became La Porte County prosecutor, he forged her name on the deed of the house and had it notarized when he was refinancing to place the house in his name. A notary witnesses and certifies that a signature on a document is valid.

According to Weinkauff, the house was awarded to Szilagyi in the divorce.

“He got everything – I got nothing,” she said in April of the divorce settlement. “At the time, he was refinancing the house, and out of convenience, he decided to sign my name. With the handwriting, it was pretty obvious. I found out when he presented it to the title company.”

Weinkauff had previously worked at the title company and knew that Szilagyi was refinancing the house to take her name off the property.

“As part of the divorce, he got the whole thing,” she said, referring to the house, adding “All he had to do was ask me to sign it and I would have. He forged my name ... it was pretty unethical of him.”

The complaint alleges Weinkauff signed the deed under her restored last name instead of her married name as reflected on the title.

She also failed to notarize the deed when she returned the document to Szilagyi’s office.

The complaint alleges that Szilagyi, on the day of the closing, discovered the mistakes and had his secretary draft a new deed.

Without contacting Weinkauff or his secretary, it’s alleged that Szilagyi signed the name “Susan Szilagyi’’ on the new deed and used his secretary’s notary stamp on the deed.

It also alleged that he then signed his secretary’s name as notary on the deed without her permission or authority.

The complaint alleges Szilagyi then submitted the new deed to the title company at closing.

Several months later, the secretary received a notice of investigation from the Indiana Secretary of State’s Office questioning the authenticity of the notarization and her status as notary.

The notice was her first discovery that Szilagyi had allegedly used her notary seal without her permission, according to the complaint.

The disciplinary commission ruled Szilagyi’s alleged actions violate the Indiana Rules of Professional Conduct and ordered Szilagyi be disciplined for professional misconduct.

No specific discipline was requested.

According to Supreme Court officials, the recommendation for discipline will go before the five Supreme Court justices for a final decision.

Szilagyi and Kevin McGoff, his Indianapolis-based attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Previously, Szilagyi said his actions occurred prior to becoming prosecutor and stemmed from his judgment being “clouded by emotions.’’ He later declined comment, saying he could not comment while the matter was pending before the Disciplinary Commission.

He was elected prosecutor in November 2010.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 28 2012, 01:27 PM
Post #4

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...53450511425.txt

Szilagyi receives 60-day law license suspension

By Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch
Published: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 5:07 PM CDT
LA PORTE — La Porte County Prosecutor Robert Szilagyi will have his license to practice law suspended for 60 days for acts of forgery on documents stemming from a divorce.

The Indiana Supreme Court on June 20 approved a negotiated settlement between legal counsel for Szilagyi and the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission.

Chief Deputy Rob Neary is to serve as interim La Porte County prosecutor beginning Aug. 1, when Szilagyi’s suspension begins.

The commission in late April recommended unspecified disciplinary action against Szilagyi for forging the signature of his now ex-wife Susan and a notary on documents related to a property division in the divorce, which was finalized in 2009.

Click here to find out more!
“I apologize to everyone regarding my lack of judgment,” Szilagyi said in a statement released late Tuesday afternoon. “The suspension will have no affect on the workings and operation of the prosecutor’s office.”

According to a complaint filed with the high court, Susan received a quit claim deed to transfer the marital home solely to Szilagyi but signed it under her restored last name ‘’Weinkauff’’ instead of her married name as reflected on the title.

She also failed to notarize the deed when she returned the document to Szilagyi’s office.

The complaint alleges that Szilagyi on the day of closing on the property transfer and refinancing discovered the mistakes and had his secretary draft a new deed.

Without contacting Susan or his secretary, it’s alleged that Szilagyi signed the name ‘’Susan Szilagyi’’ on the new deed and used his secretary’s notary stamp on the deed.

It also alleged that Szilagyi signed his secretary’s name as notary on the deed without her permission or authority.

The complaint alleges Szilagyi then submitted the new deed to the title company at closing.

In its ruling, the Supreme Court said Szilagyi’s misconduct stemmed from a desire to avoid an unpleasant conversation with his former wife about the need for her assistance.

The high court also stated that Szilagyi should have known the importance of authentic legal documents and how his actions can damage the reputation of lawyers and the integrity of the legal system.

In Szilagyi’s statement, he explains that when he noticed the deed was incorrectly signed, “I took it on myself to make the correction rather than delay the closing.

“I have no intention of reliving the divorce again but an explanation of my action is necessary,” he continued. “I handled the situation badly, used poor judgment and acted selfishly to prevent any further confrontations. I accept responsibility for my action and the sanction imposed.”

Kevin McGoff of Indianapolis, who is Szilagyi’s attorney, said the suspension goes into effect Aug. 1 and prohibits his client from practicing law in any sort of way, even as prosecutor.

McGoff, who said his client will assume his duties as prosecutor after the suspension is served, added that the asset division, under terms of the marital break-up, was ordered by a judge and his client’s actions were influenced by a “bitter divorce.”

“There was no element of him getting any more than what he was already awarded,” said McGoff, who added the misconduct had nothing to do with his role as prosecutor.

He also said Szilagyi was elected prosecutor one year after the forgeries.

“After the 1st of October, I intend to continue forward,” Szilagyi said in his statement.

“Many strides have been made in the Prosecutor’s Office regarding communication with the police agencies, the courts and other agencies regarding drug enforcement, sexual assault, child molestation and the drug court. There are still many things that I look forward to trying to accomplish.”
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 28 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #5

So here is my question. For the two months where he isn't allowed to do any work, do we have to pay Szilagyi?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 29 2012, 08:29 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

He'll probably still be there every day in an administrative capacity. They should make him answer phones and deal with the public. Oh! I know, he could sit in the child support office for 60 days and see how messed up it is over there. Maybe then they might start enforcing it when they see how many deadbeat parents there are and how many thousands of dollars are owed.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 30 2012, 12:05 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Abso-freaking-lutely amazing.

I have to wonder how many times defense attorneys are going to mention this little escapade in jury trials during the rest of Szilagyi's one-time tenure as county prosecutor.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 1 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

Szilagyi's not worried. He'll probably win re-election by a landslide...

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 01:26 PM
Post #9

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-interim-repl...0,1247099.story

LAPORTE, Ind. (AP) — The Indiana Supreme Court has named an interim replacement to fill in for a LaPorte County prosecutor whose law license is being suspended for 60 days.

The high court has named LaPorte County Chief Deputy Prosecutor Robert Neary to fill in for Prosecutor Robert Szilagyi starting Aug. 1.

Szilagyi has been ordered to stop practicing law for 60 days. The Supreme Court suspended his license on June 20, saying he signed his ex-wife's name to a document related to the refinancing of his home soon after their 2009 divorce in order to avoid a conversation with her. He also signed his secretary's name as a notary to the document.

Szilagyi was elected prosecutor in 2010.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2012, 02:51 PM
Post #10

From his facebook page

Bob Szilagyi posted to LaPorte County Prosecuting Attorney
As a result of the disciplinary action filed I have agreed to a 60 day suspension beginning August 1;2012. The suspension will have no affect on the workings and operation of the Prosecutor's Office. My Chief Deputy Rob Neary will serve as interim Prosecutor. Because of the professionalism and dedication of the staff business will be conducted as usual. I apologize to everyone regarding my lack of judgment. The matter arises from a purely domestic or divorce situation and does not relate to or involve the representation of anyone. I have no intention of reliving the divorce again but an explanation of my action is necessary. I was asked to remortage the house I received in the decree. The decree was silent on that point and the refinancing would make me solely respondsible and not as a joint debt. The refinancing took longer than expected which undoubtedly added to ill feelings. When I noticed the deed was signed incorrectly I took it upon myself to make the correction rather than delay the closing. This is the reasoning for my action and it is not an excuse. I handled the situation badly, used por judgmentand acted selfishly to prevent any further confrontations. I accept respondsibility for my action and the sanction imposed. After the 1st of October I intend to continue forward. Many strides have been made in the Prosecutor's Office regarding communication with the police agencies, the courts and other agencies regarding drug enforcement, sexual assault and the drug court. There are many things I look forward to trying to accomplish.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 25 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 25 2012, 03:51 PM) *

From his facebook page

Bob Szilagyi posted to LaPorte County Prosecuting Attorney
As a result of the disciplinary action filed I have agreed to a 60 day suspension beginning August 1;2012. The suspension will have no affect on the workings and operation of the Prosecutor's Office. My Chief Deputy Rob Neary will serve as interim Prosecutor. Because of the professionalism and dedication of the staff business will be conducted as usual. I apologize to everyone regarding my lack of judgment. The matter arises from a purely domestic or divorce situation and does not relate to or involve the representation of anyone. I have no intention of reliving the divorce again but an explanation of my action is necessary. I was asked to remortage the house I received in the decree. The decree was silent on that point and the refinancing would make me solely respondsible and not as a joint debt. The refinancing took longer than expected which undoubtedly added to ill feelings. When I noticed the deed was signed incorrectly I took it upon myself to make the correction rather than delay the closing. This is the reasoning for my action and it is not an excuse. I handled the situation badly, used por judgmentand acted selfishly to prevent any further confrontations. I accept respondsibility for my action and the sanction imposed. After the 1st of October I intend to continue forward. Many strides have been made in the Prosecutor's Office regarding communication with the police agencies, the courts and other agencies regarding drug enforcement, sexual assault and the drug court. There are many things I look forward to trying to accomplish.
Is Mr. Z still going to receive a paycheck while he serving his suspension?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 25 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

Did you notice the misspellings, poor grammar, and typos?
For a guy with a college education, he isn't very good at written communication. Hmmmm........makes me wonder.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Equalizer
post Aug 14 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,196

I and many other victims like Susan have been enduring LARGE thefts and real estate fraud (many other crimes) by the prosecuting officers and other connected attorneys, judges and associates going back to 1994 (documented). They and all those necessary to facilitate these types of crimes, bank fraud, real estate fraud, estate fraud, drug distribution with extreme violence has been a discussion by victims and surrounding police and federal agencies. In one case M.C.P.D. destroyed criminal felony complaints filed against a local attorney who is a prosecutor.
Attorneys (specialists in the particular case areas) reviewing these cases have found profound disregard for the laws (federal,state) by the La Porte Prosecuting office and those in these positions whom are taking on private cases as well while seated in prosecuting positions.

ANYONE who is thinking on using local Michigan City or LaPorte County attorneys for any estate or significant financial responsibility should DEMAND a full bond for the value of the case to be held by the attorney and can only be released from responsibility IN PERSON in front of appointed witnesses you trust in court with a court recorder present.

All estate cases should demand a full disclosure monthly of all accounts and assets related to the estate and demand a factual copy of the asset search. If this is not done immediately contact the court and fire your attorney. Some cases have been from 3 to over ten years and have been denied any accounting as required by Indiana Code. Some of whom who have refused are a present Indiana Prosecutor. You will need another attorney because you will not in any attempt to be able to fire your attorney if you have discovered fraud. The local judges will not allow investigation, so you will need help from an attorney FAR FAR AWAY FROM HERE!!!!!

These people will literally try to kill you after they steal millions and millions of dollars when you try to turn them in.

I hold information to place many many people in prison, some of whom are prosecutors. Susans case here does not even touch the surface of the crimes these people commit. They are in positions of the utmost trust, yet they are the very people that Indiana State Prison and the electric chair is built for.

The County of La Porte and its prosecutors and surrounding federal agencies in this District will at all costs stop the knowledge and due process of these crimes from becoming public.

I have talked to many attorneys and news agencies who are all under fear from these people and financial ruin if they participate in attempting to prosecute these rogue servants of our community.

This decades plus long fleecing of well to do Illinois, local Long Beach and Michigan City residents must come to an end. With this you will discover where and how all the drugs are allowed to flourish and be sold on our city streets and from the very prosecutors whom are working with international drug cartels.
I have met the people they hire and have only survived this far as a result of having REAL friends in the State Department. However our local criminals have ties with almost every agency that is supposed to enforce their incarceration. It is a very big problem. Corruption of our government at all levels has made us a third world country.

Just to warn that the extremity of crimes committed by these people is unmentionable and they will go to any length to keep their positions in the LaPorte and Michigan City Court House. By far the worst criminals on the streets of La Porte County.

Think of it this way, you worked and saved for your families future. You die and the prosecutors illegally take everything leaving your family on the streets.

I will wager a bet that not one honest attorney in this area will even come forward to offer their services. Why, because they cannot and are not allowed to.

Remember these attorneys in these positions have direct contact with prison inmates involved in organized crime and cartels. The attorneys are the incarcerated persons legs and voice and are used to continue their illegal operations thru their attorneys whom I know in Michigan City are active participants. Why whould active prosecutors have legal law operations in Illinois in a city with anther large prison. I am not pointing fingers, other people have informed me of this and I find it quite strange to be a practicing prosecutor on a non federal level in two states. Sorry for going a little off track as this is not pertaining to Susans case but pointing out anomalies in the Prosecuting Attorneys office in La Porte.

Good Luck, and definitely not Irish Luck
+Quote Post
Equalizer
post Aug 14 2012, 11:47 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1,196

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 25 2012, 02:56 PM) *

Is Mr. Z still going to receive a paycheck while he serving his suspension?

I am not familiar yet with your reprimand. However is it policy for the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission to present Private Reprimands for six months if it was indeed true the violation was a Felony?
I am led to believe a felony committed by an attorney is mandatory disbarment.
In another case which I discussed with the Commission they allowed a fellow prosecutor in your office only a six month suspension after being found guilty. I have also discussed this with M.C.P.D. whom stated this was true and in fact informed me of this when I came in to file felony charges against yet another colleague in the prosecutors office.
I do not know the severity of his suspension however it MUST BE TRUE FOR any action to be accepted. THis would presently be three prosecutors presently active that have been found to commit felony acts, have charges of felony acts (refused to be investigated, illegally) and another that may have committed felony acts.

Another problem is that the older suspension is no longer accesible via the internet. I contacted the Indiana Supreme Court Disciplinary Commission and they stated suspensions prior to 2002 are not updated on the website. So any reprimands prior to that are no longer available. I do not know if this was a "SPECIAL" removal of a specific attorneys suspension information or it the same for the entire state. I do know ALL records should be available for everyone to see and judge for themselves if they are hiring an honest attorney. NOW it is not possible to rely on the Disciplinary Commission in our State to provide us that information.

How much does it cost to commit felonies and still retain a seat in the prosecuting office in La Porte County?
Also how deep is the corruption that has stopped many other legal and recognized crimes by the court system to go uninvestigated?

There is a horrible problem here and believe it or not people are dying as a result of their crimes and the list is growing.
I am ashamed of the city and our country for becoming what it has at the hands of people like these.
If you had any respect you should be disbarred. Tell us are you going to take the "OATH" again? and this time we are supposed to believe you? HA!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 14 2012, 12:26 PM
Post #15

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the information.
+Quote Post
Job
post Aug 14 2012, 05:46 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,126

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 30 2012, 12:05 PM) *

Abso-freaking-lutely amazing.

I have to wonder how many times defense attorneys are going to mention this little escapade in jury trials during the rest of Szilagyi's one-time tenure as county prosecutor.

This boob's career as a prosecutor is over. Can you imagine him standing before a jury and saying" "trust me, this is what happened."
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 12 2014, 09:02 AM
Post #17

Grand jury decided not to charge him.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...d6a47b46d5.html
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 13 2014, 06:07 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Considering the saying that "prosecutors have so much control over grand juries that they could convince them to "indict a ham sandwich,"", James Fleming, the senior special prosecutor from Howard County, must not have been trying very hard.

I can almost see letting Szilagyi off for forging his ex-wife's signature, given the circumstances, but forging the notary's signature was inexcusable. He's said himself that doing that was wrong.

This post has been edited by Dave: May 13 2014, 06:08 PM
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post May 15 2014, 04:15 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Dave @ May 13 2014, 07:07 PM) *

Considering the saying that "prosecutors have so much control over grand juries that they could convince them to "indict a ham sandwich,"", James Fleming, the senior special prosecutor from Howard County, must not have been trying very hard.

I can almost see letting Szilagyi off for forging his ex-wife's signature, given the circumstances, but forging the notary's signature was inexcusable. He's said himself that doing that was wrong.

Lawyers sitting in judgement of lawyers. What else could we expect.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:45 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com