> Harmon Killebrew, and a home run derby at Ames Field
Michelle
post Sep 10 2011, 09:49 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 787

Hi,

I'm working on a reference question about baseball player Harmon Killebrew's appearance at Ames Field. Supposedly he hit one way out of the park, maybe even breaking a window at Jewel (that seems unlikely, but that's the story).

The only mention of Killebrew at Ames Field that I've found is in a June 17, 2010, column in the Herald Argus. All it says is that the old Ames Field had held home run derbies with major league sluggers like Harmon Killebrew. Does anyone have any more information? I don't suppose anyone remembers this home run derby? A date would be awesome, but any info at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Sep 10 2011, 10:14 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Michelle @ Sep 10 2011, 10:49 AM) *

Hi,

I'm working on a reference question about baseball player Harmon Killebrew's appearance at Ames Field. Supposedly he hit one way out of the park, maybe even breaking a window at Jewel (that seems unlikely, but that's the story).

The only mention of Killebrew at Ames Field that I've found is in a June 17, 2010, column in the Herald Argus. All it says is that the old Ames Field had held home run derbies with major league sluggers like Harmon Killebrew. Does anyone have any more information? I don't suppose anyone remembers this home run derby? A date would be awesome, but any info at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
It amazes me how many celebrity sports figures have been to Michigan City. I know nothing about Harmon Killebrew coming here but I found it interesting that Sam Sianis owner of the Chicago's Billygoat Tavern Chain purchased his goat Socrates which he took to Wrigley Field to "reverse the curse" from former Oakland A's owner Charlie O. Finley's farm on U.S. 35 north of La Porte. Mr. Sam had Socrates stuffed and mounted by a taxidermist and is prominently displayed in the corner of his restuaunt on West Madison St. blocks from the United Center.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Sep 10 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Michelle @ Sep 10 2011, 09:49 AM) *

Hi,

Thanks!

I also don't know, but there's a man in town named Al Shinn. He was involved in the Michigan City WhiteCaps way back in the day. If anyone would know, Al would know. If you could somehow track him down I bet he could help.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Sep 13 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Sep 10 2011, 07:49 PM) *

I also don't know, but there's a man in town named Al Shinn. He was involved in the Michigan City WhiteCaps way back in the day. If anyone would know, Al would know. If you could somehow track him down I bet he could help.

Thanks so much; I passed that along. smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:26 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com